True Duel Mode

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Ctathos
Lost One

True Duel Mode

Post by Ctathos »

I'd like to propose that the Duel System (Using the Challenge/Accept) Be Modified to Fit the Following:

- Both users are set to 100/100 health.
- Both users are given Saber Offense and Defense 3.
- Both users are model-scaled to 100%.

There are many ways to implement this to keep it true to the roleplay, however, I don't believe that is necessary. It could just do the three things I listed above, and completely neglect the fact that it stunts the roleplay in that aspect.

But there are some practical ways to implement it. One is to make it an 'ingame' video game. Two people agree to challenge each other, sit down and pull out their controllers (Meditate Emote). Then they control the new bodies (new model assigned as true model, old left in meditate) that are half-alpha'd to everyone (but the players themselves). Sot hat it looks like a hologram game. In which case, all of the above settings are applied to the new models (a standard model would then be used for the holograms).

The other is to simply make it 'meditative' sparring. Two people sit down, challenge each other, and the same thing as above happens, but the new bodies are completely invisible to all but the two dueling. Then when it ends, one of them notes a loss, etc.

Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

I'm honestly not sure I see the point. I know you and Master Nhix were sparring using the challenge mode earlier, but I can't really see it much being used. Moreover, when two Jedi spar, they do so with all their normal abilities - skills and the like that they've earned over time. Not everyone will have offense/defense 3, which means using challenge mode will, for the duration, provide them with skills they otherwise would not have, which strikes me as unrealistic.

Moreover, the idea of having them there as training simulations strikes me as odd, given that a simulation of the individual in question would a) be the same size as them, b) simulate their existing abilities only and c) be fairly pointless when two characters can just have their training sabers up and running to that same end.

As such, I'm inclined to think that the idea is superfluous.
Larkit
Lost One

Post by Larkit »

I like the idea. But, honestly, why is this needed?
Lynee'alin
Exiled

Post by Lynee'alin »

why is this needed?
To imitate a baseJKA-feeling.

And I agree to the suggestion.
Ctathos
Lost One

Post by Ctathos »

Lynee'alin wrote:
why is this needed?

It's for those of us that actually play the game. So we can play on other servers, still test our skills against each other, etc.

It's not necessarily an IC experience. It's for OOC Development too.

Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

But, at last check, the whole point of the server was to develop IC RP, not to cater to OOC needs - that's why there are tons of duelling servers out there. And I really wouldn't think you'd want to start telling people that it's okay to do OOC stuff on an IC server, because they'd just start things going downhill, and we already have quite a bit of 'gaming' going on.
Ctathos
Lost One

Post by Ctathos »

Aslyn wrote:But, at last check, the whole point of the server was to develop IC RP, not to cater to OOC needs - that's why there are tons of duelling servers out there. And I really wouldn't think you'd want to start telling people that it's okay to do OOC stuff on an IC server, because they'd just start things going downhill, and we already have quite a bit of 'gaming' going on.
I admire your persistance Aslyn. But you may not have an entire perspective on what JEDI is and was (and perhaps, will be).

Playing the game is part of JEDI, as well as becoming good at it. There was a time when all that happened at JEDI was dueling. Ranks were more a pretense, and templates were increased entire powers at a time. Everyone from initiate to master spent their time dueling, and little else. The concept of 'true' roleplay did not even exist until over a year to two years after JEDIs birth.

This is not a REQUIRED thing to do. If you want to keep with your roleplay spars and double sabers, have at it. But a lot of us 'classical' JEDI would much enjoy being able to duel some, without one of us having 100 HP more than another and no defense.

Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Well, persisting in being a nuisance, wouldn't it require more skill to overcome an opponent that has a good 100HP more than you? And, as such, wouldn't the duelling aspect be improved accordingly by forcing you to do that? If you're looking to spend time duelling and improving your saber skills, surely a more insurmountable challenge of that nature would be more appealing than having both opponents equal to each other?
Ctathos
Lost One

Post by Ctathos »

Aslyn wrote:Well, persisting in being a nuisance, wouldn't it require more skill to overcome an opponent that has a good 100HP more than you? And, as such, wouldn't the duelling aspect be improved accordingly by forcing you to do that? If you're looking to spend time duelling and improving your saber skills, surely a more insurmountable challenge of that nature would be more appealing than having both opponents equal to each other?
Most people prefer to test their skills on even ground. Rather than one having the upper hand. Improvement is done on even ground, because the 'higher ground (metaphor)' is taken by the more skilled person while they are on 'even ground'. :)

Lynee'alin
Exiled

Post by Lynee'alin »

Aslyn wrote:Well, persisting in being a nuisance, wouldn't it require more skill to overcome an opponent that has a good 100HP more than you?
Indeed, if opponent A had 100/100, and opponent B 200/200, opponent A would not only need more skill, but also more effort in order to beat B. Whereas B would (and this is true) only have to plow through opponent A's defenses. While opponent B would lose significant health in that maneuver, opponent A would be down already.

In other words: someone having higher HP/Shield values doesn't need to put as much effort into the usage of his skill and the duel itself than someone with lower HP/Shield values.

And in this fashion, the *real* skill of a duelist often gets twisted by this system, which often supports those with higher HP/Shield values, even if the one with lower values may be the more skilled one.
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Interesting perspective. I tend to approach it more that if you can defeat an adversary who has a clear advantage, you've gained something from the battle. If, however, you have two people on equal ground who are constantly exchanging defeats, improvement may only be insofar as dealing with specific tactics used by the Jedi in question, rather than an overall development.
Ctathos
Lost One

Post by Ctathos »

Also note, RPMod is not JEDI Exclusive. Therefore we have to think of all communities (end of debate, w00t).

Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

Perhaps its a plausible suggestion for the mod, but in the server setting, it sounds more like an OOC spar for gratification of game mechanics equality, and should be treated as such.
Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

Lynee'alin wrote:
why is this needed?

Why in the world would you want to emulate a base JKA feeling? o_O
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Ctathos
Lost One

Post by Ctathos »

Base-JKA is how tournaments and inter-clan scrimmages are held in JKA.