Can't load Atlantica

Please post here to get help with RPMod (only!)
Larkit
Lost One

Can't load Atlantica

Post by Larkit »

Basically, the problem's (not) quite simple, and I've been struggling with it throughout most of my spare time today.

As some of you may be aware of, I got home today and decided to make my arrival at the new temple. But, whenever the loading screen passes the "Merr-Sonn portable missile-thing"-weapon, the CPU spent on JKA drops to zero and the game freezes. The problem only occurs on Atlantica. The problem still occurs with a clean base-folder (and rpmod folder (and a fresh install of 0.4.0)). The problem persists with Wine 1.0 (I tried downgrading from 1.1.2). The terminal output is as follows:

Code: Select all

*** glibc detected *** /home/sakse/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy/GameData/jamp.exe: double free or corruption (fasttop): 0x602bc668 ***
wine: Assertion failed at address 0xb7fd3410 (thread 0009), starting debugger...
fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 12 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
I tried without the vehicle package, and instead of freezing it comes with an error, that it couldn't find the vehicles. I can access the map on the server through base-JKA, so this may be something RPMod specific. I can also host Atlantica with base-JKA fine - so it is an RPMod related problem. Soh gets this error as well.

- Larkit, the much-confused-and-very-tired-Kushiban-who-wanted-to-play-a-computer-game-today.
Ctathos
Lost One

Post by Ctathos »

Reinstall. :)
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

Yeah, your multiplayer executable is corrupted. Gotta reinstall it.
Raltharon Damara
Location: Born on Kiffu, Residing in the Jedi Temple on Mon Calamari.

Post by Raltharon Damara »

If it's just the exe wouldn't it be quicker and easier for someone to send them theirs?
^^Click My Signature For My Skin^^
Ctathos
Lost One

Post by Ctathos »

Raltharon Damara wrote:If it's just the exe wouldn't it be quicker and easier for someone to send them theirs?
If you take this approach, it is quicker and easier for him to copy the executable off of the disc.
Larkit
Lost One

Post by Larkit »

A reinstall will 99.999% surely not work (the jamp.exe is not corrupted, neither are the assets or any other Base-JKA binary). It is quite obviously an issue with RPMod, the map and Wine as I see it (Soh has the same problem). I can load the map with Base-JKA just fine. I can join any map, but Atlantica using RPMod 0.4 (I think. At least I could join ffa3).

I would like to hear if any other Linux/Wine user is having the same problem.

Also: This problem persists in RPMod 0.3.1.
Ctathos
Lost One

Post by Ctathos »

Stay away from the alcohol is my advice, stay with sober Windows OS.
Lynee'alin
Exiled

Post by Lynee'alin »

Reading ntdll over 9 times makes me think that ntdll (= ntdll.dll?) somehow is involved with the problem.

PROTIP: Use Windows.
Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

Yeah, I have the same problem with Atlantica with Wine. I was going to troubleshoot it later, thought it was just me. Seems that there is some sort of problem Atlantica and Wine. That's not good.

Tested it under wine 0.9.x and 1.0+, using vanilla Wine AND PlayOnLinux, in (K)ubuntu 8.04.1 and openSUSE 11.0
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Xaran Varc

Post by Xaran Varc »

As already mentioned above, the best approach would be a complete reinstall of Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy.

Trying has never hurt anyone.
Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

I wrote:Tested it under wine 0.9.x and 1.0+, using vanilla Wine AND PlayOnLinux, in (K)ubuntu 8.04.1 and openSUSE 11.0
This is a bug specific to Linux users loading Atlantica using RPMod. A reinstall will not work.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Xaran Varc

Post by Xaran Varc »

Corinth Alkorda wrote:This is a bug specific to Linux users loading Atlantica using RPMod. A reinstall will not work.
Would that mean that Linux users can not play on Atlantica?
Larkit
Lost One

Post by Larkit »

Xaran Varc wrote:
Corinth Alkorda wrote:This is a bug specific to Linux users loading Atlantica using RPMod. A reinstall will not work.
Would that mean that Linux users can not play on Atlantica?
Right now: Yes. Hopefully Soh's gonna fix this. It's probably some incompatibility with some libaries or something.
Ctathos wrote:Stay away from the alcohol is my advice, stay with sober Windows OS.
Why are you hating freedom? (( I'll miss LugRadio. ))

Gonna try bouncing between Windows Version settings in Wine, to see if it'll work...

EDIT: Doesn't work.
Nira'kalen'nuruodo
Lost One

Post by Nira'kalen'nuruodo »

Until Soh can cook up some of his delicious code, running JA on a Windows virtual machine should solve or rather, sidestep the problem, as it's a compatibility issue with Wine. However, that requires you to have a copy of Windows, in which case it's a better idea to simply dual boot Windows and your favoured Linux distrubtion. (I'm fond of Ubuntu myself.) Depending on the software, a VM would be lucky to run JA, let alone the proverbial beast that is Atlantica.

Nira'kalen'nuruodo
"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value."
|age_53|height_1.7m|weight_85kg|species_chiss|mentor_cyril.feraan|padawan_eugen.darkrider_nastajja.arren|

Larkit
Lost One

Post by Larkit »

I'm planning on running a copy of Windows XP in a VM next week, when I'm having a LAN-party, but unfortunately I am not in possession of a Windows OS license or the software at the moment.