XP Investment

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

XP Investment

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

A few have come to consensus that directing XP into a certain yet-to-be-obtained level of a power/skill would be helpful. As was the format before the RPmod came about.

Would it be plausible to have XP that is yet to be enough to "purchase" the next level, be "invested" into that power?
Example wrote:Alkur has 3XP.

He invests that 3XP into the next level of Jump. Those XP cannot be removed from that power.

After "investing" enough XP for that power, instead of just pooling it with unspent XP, that power may be used.
Moza Ferorn
Lost One

Post by Moza Ferorn »

I actaully like that.
|age_33|height_1.95m|weight_82kg|race_ithorian|mentor_gabe.alkorda|padawan_valon.rachius|li.andru
Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

That is precisely what Gabe and I do with our padawan learners, only without implementation in RPMod. I don't see it as necessary, if your mentor is diligent. Here is Aknaross's as an example:
Point Tracker wrote:Jump - Level 2 (20 / 110)
Push - Level 1 (5 / 110)
Pull - Level 1 (5 / 110)
Speed - Level 1 (5 / 120)
Seeing - Level 1 (10 / 145)

Absorb - Level 0(0 / 150)
Heal - Level 0 (4 / 150)
Protect - Level 0 (0 / 150)
Mind Trick - Level 0 (0 / 150)
Heal Others - Level 0 (0 / 175)

Hold - Level 1 (10 / 150)
Slow - Level 0 (0 / 150)
Storm - Level 0 (0 / 150)
Fury - Level 0 (0 / 150)
Force Meld - Level 0 (0 / 175)

Saber Offense - Level 1 (5 / 110)
Saber Defense - Level 1 (10 / 155)
Saber Throw - Level 1 (10 / 190)
Notice that Heal is set at level 0, but has four points of XP spent into it.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Jamus Kevari
Lost One

Post by Jamus Kevari »

Perhaps if the majority of mentors like this idea, we could implement it with all students.

I, for one, am in favor of it.
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

That does, however, presuppose that you have an active master.
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

But what of the initiates, JKs and JMs?

Not everyone can be so studious in maintaining a mechanical aspect of their character.
Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Once you are granted the title of Jedi Knight, your training is your own. No one is going to step in front of what another player chooses to do with their character once they have reached that plateau, unless it severely conflicts with other characters, directly.

As for initiates, I believe that there could be a reasonable guideline set. However, I haven't spent the time thinking about the initiate guideline as of yet (or examined the situation to see if there is, indeed, an issue with the rank at all). The new initiation message we discussed should fix most of the problem, if not all. Contingency plans are always good, though.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

I think it'd be great if this could be implemented into RPMod. If not, I'll just keep doing what I've started doing haha.
Jamus Kevari
Lost One

Post by Jamus Kevari »

Maybe I just wanted nostalgia with the whole "point" system. :P
Jared
Lost One

Post by Jared »

I've never allowed my padawans to 'buy' a power without prior negotiation with me, if I intend RP training to go towards a specific ability, I stipulate in their Journals, if not I don't overly prescribe.

The system you propose is just fine but I wouldn't like to see it imposed through mechanics.
To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.
SKIN FROM RPMOD ASSETS
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Jared wrote:I wouldn't like to see it imposed through mechanics.
There's already a lot of that, so i'm with Jared on this one.
I Like the idea and I think it should be something every Master/Knight practices.

I personally would rather not feel bullied into taking specific force powes that my Master decides I should have. For example, I don't plan on Vantus having uber telekenisis and sense powers. If every XP I got was forced into those pools, i'd feel I have no control over the progress of my own character.
I would like to maintain my character "failing" in certain fields rather than being a jack-of-all-trades-know-it-all. There are powers I don't want for RP reasons. So if I did recieve a lesson on Hold for example, i'd like the option of continuing to "fail" on it, rather than being forced to get good at it. It would be a waste of XP if I just didn't use the power.

This worry is also directed at class XP where the lesson covers no specific force power yet XP is rewarded. (seeing as until recently, this was the only way I got XP)

So in short. I agree with the concept but would rather it be a responsibility of both the Padawan and his Master as well a test of maturity.

Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

No one forces their student to have a power they wouldn't like, the system is meant to guard against the student adding a power that they shouldn't have.
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Corinth Alkorda wrote:No one forces their student to have a power they wouldn't like, the system is meant to guard against the student adding a power that they shouldn't have.
Yeah I absolutely agree with that. A lot.

I'll put what i'm trying to say in an example:

Soh takes Vantus for Telekenisis training. Let's say Hold.
Vantus' character is extremely weak in these fields and I like it that way.
Masters believe every student should have Push, Pull, Sense etc.
Soh teaches Vantus a few things, takes him through some exercises.
Vantus still doesn't perform amazingly but because of the lesson, he gains XP in it.
Vantus now has better Telekenisis skills.

What I would have done is store the XP gained from that lesson until an appointed time where my Master would have taught me something valuable that is befitting to my character and then used it there, seeing as the more advanced you get in a skill, the more XP you're going to need.

Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

Vantus wrote:What I would have done is store the XP gained from that lesson until an appointed time where my Master would have taught me something valuable that is befitting to my character and then used it there, seeing as the more advanced you get in a skill, the more XP you're going to need.
And *that* is what we don't want to see happening. You would've gained the XP for telekenisis training, not whatever lesson you had later on.

However, I understand your concern, and I think you'll see that if you speak to your Mentor (IC or OOC) and explain to them that you don't want your character to learn telekenisis, but rather to specialize in some other field, they'll be extremely understanding and open.

Bottom line, however, is that once you become someone's Padawan Learner, you ultimately don't have the final say on your character's development in Force abilities. That comes when you're a Knight/Master.
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Understood.

Just wanting to voice my concern for possible eradication of choice.
It seems these fields have been taken into consideration so there is nothing more I need to add. :)