XP Investment

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

Well, I'd also add that simply taking a lesson in something like Telekinesis doesn't naturally dictate that the XP be placed into a telekinetic skill: like Vantus, you might have little to no skill in Telekinesis, but you'd still have learned something about yourself and the Force from that lesson, and thus gain something that can later be used in your further lessons, even on a different subject. I suppose I look at the records of Corran Horn's training from "I, Jedi" - there were things there beyond his ability to learn, but he took valuable insight from them anyway and directed them towards other lessons.

Invariably, the Jedi path is just as much about experience and mindset as it is about the abilities you learn and the skills you gain. As far as I'm concerned, the XP can be just as reflective of that as anything else.
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Personally, i like the idea of being able to invest in a power of your own choice for training purposes though is that not already possible?
That, the mentor can give the points to select the power but agree that they only get to activate the power during training and at some point further into it the mentor can then say, you can use it during normal game play time as well? Then really it's just down to the player/character to role play that they are new to the ability in some ways, like Vantus said, failing at times.

A bit the opposite of Vantus, i want Sebastin to me more force orientated so i wouldn't like having to spend my XP in saber or be told to save up for that, however i would like to be able to invest some in the saber abilities as i go along.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Norru Balnam

Post by Norru Balnam »

I really can understand Vantus' concernings and the points given by everyone else. I just have one question.

Gabe said, overall the Master/Knight will decide how the character will develop. Fine, i can understand that because why should a padawan know how to lift things and (to go over the top) let them dance in the air if his "teacher" doesn't tell him how to do that? Now my question: How far will the teacher's impact reach? I didn't understand this yet.

Your

Norru
Updated on 09/27/08 - my Skin: >>DOWNLOAD<<

RP Age: 21
Nira'kalen'nuruodo
Lost One

Post by Nira'kalen'nuruodo »

I'll paraphrase Master Quell on this one (from yesterday's class): Your mentor defines your training, but you define your character. So, as far as I understand, while the Master is the one who does the teaching, you can ask to focus on certain things and discuss the training. Communication between Master and apprentice is important, after all. At the end of the day, its your character, not theirs.

Nira'kalen'nuruodo
"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value."
|age_53|height_1.7m|weight_85kg|species_chiss|mentor_cyril.feraan|padawan_eugen.darkrider_nastajja.arren|

Indilia Von
Lost One

Post by Indilia Von »

well this is how I been seeing how padawans are trained.
say the Master is a guardian and the padawan is a guardian, this means well mostly anyways that the master trains his/her padawan more of saber combat, generally.
consular master and consular padawan=more force training.
Sentinel:different
but in all cases saber arts and Force Arts are of course included.
''One's Path is shown, in the latter years, for some and for some..in the early years'' ~ Indilia Von
Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

Nira hit the nail on the head.

You define your character, but your Master defines your training. In response to one of your statements, Vantus, it obviously doesn't make sense to allow an hour of training telekinetic powers to yield progress in, say, absorb (which you stated). There is an alternative, though. You can speak with your mentor to try to curb XP gained from that specific training, or to cut back on that training as much as you need (as was suggested before). Additionally, just because your account gains XP, doesn't mean that you have to spend it. Yes, XP points allow you to further specific Force skills, but just having the points, even when not applied to a specific skill, advances your characters Force pool and Health pool. You can have points added to a skill without adding it, ever, if you'd like.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

I was cruising around the student journals, and a thought came to me:

Should students be allowed to invest "part-way" (basically how Corinth prescribed) XP to powers which they do not have access to at their current level?

On a clan-wide level? On a single master-apprentice level?
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

That's a good idea. After all, a lot of Jedi train towards abilities that 'improve' with time - for example, if you go from Jump 2 to Jump 3, you've not gained a power, but made an improvement on one you have already. As such, investing XP into the power before you qualify for it simply means you're advancing with the one you have, and therefore it's easier to quantify the sudden move from 2 to 3 when you hit the XP level required.