Power renames

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Power renames

Post by Cyril Feraan »

Four powers should be renamed, because it seems to me they have rather awkward names currently.

A) Seeing -> Sense

Reason: Seeing is in the infinitive form of the verb, whereas all other power names are listed in the form of "Jump", "Push", "Pull", etc. Also, sense seems to be a more accurate description than "seeing".

B) Mind Trick -> Cloak

Reason: This debate has been hammered over already, and the power was changed itself, yet we are still left with the undesirable "Mind Trick", which I believe was established as an RP (text) ability, rather than something for mechanics.

C) Hold -> Levitation

Reason: "Hold" is tacky and seems like just a neutralized form of "Grip". Levitation is a better description of the power.

D) Slow -> Drain

Reason: I get the feeling that when power names were devised, this was simply changed because Drain had traditionally been associated with a dark sider. Yet when I think about it, this power doesn't actually slow anyone down (though such a power would be indeed neat). It is truly draining them through the Force, so there is ultimately no reason to have it named differently.

What do you think?

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

I agree with all except the conversion of Force Hold to Levitation, which could be potentially misleading.
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Yeah "Levitation" to me would suggest I can make my character float above the ground or fly across rivers.

How about "Telekenisis"?

All the rest sound good to me!

Syrena Exan
Lost One

Post by Syrena Exan »

Agreed, telekinesis.

Species: Falleen | Age: 116 | Mentor: Jared Quell | Padawans: Kaelen Sekura, Kantha Maitri, Salvong, Var Dalledos, Claude Varron

Nivek Tholmai
Lost One

Post by Nivek Tholmai »

/rpagree - Telekenisis is perhaps better, I'm all for the name changes. :)
Atrux Nuro
Lost One

Post by Atrux Nuro »

Correct my if I'm wrong but *I* was told that mind trick sorta came with other abilities not just quote.....like reading people minds and talking in their heads and crap...
Species: Lorrdian|Age: 41|Height: 1.88 M|Weight: 93 KG|Birthdate: .02|Mentor(s): Coren Ran// Roan Takk

"I'm willing to die for my beliefs. 'Course, that ain't exactly Plan A."

Rash Loist for Jedi Master level 2
Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

Disagree about telekinesis. Telekinesis describes a broader range of things, including push/pull. It's too broad a term for a specific power.

Mind Trick has already been renamed to Cloak, it's just incomplete. Soh forgot to apply it in a few places. Once you've actually purchased the power, it says Cloak in the rotating Force menu.

Agree on the other two.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

I'm not saying it should happen, im not saying it shouldn't. it just seems a little pointless and unneeded to me, though i believe it includes minimal effort/time, so why not.
Xaran Varc

Re: Power renames

Post by Xaran Varc »

Cyril Feraan wrote:C) Hold -> Levitation
Levitation is a canon Force power. It allows Jedi to suspend themselves against the force of gravity.

How about: Force Move?
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Agreed on Drain. Call the thing what it is, unless there's a way to re-wire it so that it actually does slow down opponents.
Jared
Lost One

Post by Jared »

'Hold' changes from level to level.

Level 1 and 2 are literally 'Force Hold' -> levitating the target and holding them in position.

Level 3 can move from free telekinesis to 'Force Throw' (if you know how)

Level 4 becomes Choke and Level 5 becomes Crush.

'Hold' encompasses most of these in a broader sense.

Slow could eventually be renamed once the light side and dark side variants of force abilities are configured for RPmod 1. It will probably be called 'Siphon' or 'Emerald Lightning' depending on the coding/colour and function. - as it happens this is undecided.

I know that ORIGINALLY slow was indeed SLOW. It slowed the opponent down but the actual ability has never been coded. Remember, RPmod is a WIP.

As it is, Drain is a more applicable title but it has dark side connotations - perhaps Force Leech or Force Siphon for now.

Again - most of these were indeed renamed but the name changes don't appear at every level.
To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.
SKIN FROM RPMOD ASSETS
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

I agree with regards to NOT using the name Telekinesis - you can even include the Force Jump ability within that particular umbrella, which means it is hardly appropriate for a single power. Force Move has the same problem, since Force Jump, Push and Pull all constitute methods of moving something (or someone!) using the Force. Hold strikes me as appropriate (as indeed did Grip, since it indicates that pressure and energy need to be exerted to retain the hold on the person/object). I don't see the point in changing it, to be honest.
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

'Siphon' yes. 'Emerald Lightning' makes me giggle a little bit, 'Shock' or 'Judgement' (as opposed to 'Electric Judgement') might also work.
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

A fair point about Hold. The others stand.

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

Sense will now be used everywhere as well as Cloak (as Corinth said, I forgot to rename it in the Force powers window). As pointed out in this discussion, Hold is a decent name, and Slow is what was planned originally - but not yet implemented (so it's still Drain, nothing changed in the power itself).