Long-term fatigue

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Long-term fatigue

Post by Cyril Feraan »

In the past, ideas for a little fatigue bar have been thrown around. This was always dismissed for good reasons.

But now I'm suggesting some sort of long-term fatigue meter. This would not even affect any ordinary sparring session. Rather, it would be mildly affected by: a) running, b) excessive Force usage, and at a certain point, force you to walk, stand still, sit, lie down, sleep, or whatever. Inactivity in this manner would allow it to steadily increase again.

Essentially, the higher the level, the larger the meter. So a level 1 might find their meter drained down after 5-10 minutes of sustained activity, while level 25 users see their meter remain high for hours regardless.

I feel this would prevent abuse and recognize the affects of fatigue over time, while not constantly being "in the way" or annoying to everyday gameplay. It could serve as a gentle reminder to take it easy, while allowing for intense training sessions to still occur.

Also, I realize that a level 1 user who is an adult may technically have more stamina than a level 10 who is a child, but this is an age-old problem and cannot be accounted for.

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

That might not be a bad idea, but potentially difficult to implement and, moreover, a severe pain in the ass for playing on the server, if everyone gets tired not long after they've warmed up (by our standards). How are we ever gonna pull off our epic hour-long sparring sessions if we collapse by the end of it? ;)
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Aslyn wrote:How are we ever gonna pull off our epic hour-long sparring sessions if we collapse by the end of it? ;)
I think, in essence, this is what Cyril is trying to say. This should not happen so easily.

But I agree with Aslyn. Where it's a good idea (And Reminds me of the Fatigue bar in Morrowind and Oblivion) I think it would be cripling to gameplay.

Most people (again I say "most") will have the savvy to RP their character becomming tired and will often take breaks between spars or exercise before continuing.
People are often afraid or reluctant to RP their character as being exhausted after a spar in fear that it will make their oponent seem superior or better skilled because they are not as equally tired. It's a shame really.

But like the HP and Forcepool system that got introduced, it does not take the player's individual characteristic or age into consideration.

Example: Person A and Person B are of the same level whereas Person A is renown for her incredible dexterity and strength and is seven years older than person B. Person B is a bookworm who spends more time reading than exercising, meaning his muscles are less developed. Yet because of the levelled fatigue meter they both, in theory, have the same physical endurance.
This is a handicap for person A and a bonus for peron B.

Syrena Exan
Lost One

Post by Syrena Exan »

I'd rather see people think to rp fatigue rather than it be enforced.

Species: Falleen | Age: 116 | Mentor: Jared Quell | Padawans: Kaelen Sekura, Kantha Maitri, Salvong, Var Dalledos, Claude Varron

Aayla Vigil
Lost One

Post by Aayla Vigil »

Having a player forced to stop doing physical exercise because of a game mechanic might contrast with the RP gameplay, since much of would happen to be altered if we're not anymore free to break it and use it OOC wise (example: die at the laser and run from the dorms to the sparring room back again --- This is naturally irrelevant here, but in a mission could be hazardous).

Instead of forcing the player to stop maybe it could be wise to use the calculation of fatigue as Cyril mentioned and when the conditions (time and level) are reached to activate the "fatigue status", add some effect like heavy breath (sound) or possibly some visual effect (like a small red sense-like effect on the visual of the tired player).

This would still let your player perform his exercises freely but warning him and those around hum (with the heavy breath sound) of his fatigue status.

I'm not sure where this can be done, but you know, that's an idea.

You can't choose what is right

Nivek Tholmai
Lost One

Post by Nivek Tholmai »

Syrena Exan wrote:I'd rather see people think to rp fatigue rather than it be enforced.
Bang on the money. A good idea but one that doesn't require implementing I feel.
Atrux Nuro
Lost One

Post by Atrux Nuro »

I agree with Master Exan, but Cyril's idea is good. It allowes for more straetegy and and makes sparring more difficult, seing as how you'd have to back off and walk for a bit otherwise you'd be force to slow down and most likely lose. I think it should also affect saber swing damage, especially for red stance. I also see many member spamming force abilities all the time, which is annoying it itself, aside from the realism factor. I want everybody to go outside sprint back and forth for about 20 minutes and then start jumping off of buildings, cars, and jump kick some random people... if you don't die, or get hauled off to the nut house, you'll find you're pretty tired and won't be able to do much.
Species: Lorrdian|Age: 41|Height: 1.88 M|Weight: 93 KG|Birthdate: .02|Mentor(s): Coren Ran// Roan Takk

"I'm willing to die for my beliefs. 'Course, that ain't exactly Plan A."

Rash Loist for Jedi Master level 2
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

Vantus wrote:Most people (again I say "most") will have the savvy to RP their character becomming tired and will often take breaks between spars or exercise before continuing.
Syrena wrote:I'd rather see people think to rp fatigue rather than it be enforced.
I mean, it'd be fantastic if everyone was hardcore and totally logical/realistic in their roleplaying. Fact is, they're not. I mean, I'm not.

I really like the idea, and would like to see it implemented, however, left to be configurable by a cvar that would turn it on/off (just like everything else in RPMod). If we don't like it, we could turn it off, if we do like it, we can leave it on.

Everyone's got good points, but I still think it'd be interesting to see it implemented.
Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

This shouldn't be forced by mod mechanics, but rather taught by mentors.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Ctathos
Lost One

Post by Ctathos »

Syrena Exan wrote:I'd rather see people think to rp fatigue rather than it be enforced.

Larkit
Lost One

Post by Larkit »

I wouldn't like Larkit, who has been training his condition focussed for many years now, suddenly being restricted by a game mechanic, saying that he's not able to run for more than twenty minutes. People should be able to RP this, and if they don't someone should tell them that they're unrealistically well conditioned for their age/size/species/whatever.
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

Essentially, the higher the level, the larger the meter. So a level 1 might find their meter drained down after 5-10 minutes of sustained activity, while level 25 users see their meter remain high for hours regardless.
he's not able to run for more than twenty minutes
Larkit will be fine.
This shouldn't be forced by mod mechanics, but rather taught by mentors.
Yes. Is it?
Instead of forcing the player to stop maybe it could be wise to use the calculation of fatigue as Cyril mentioned and when the conditions (time and level) are reached to activate the "fatigue status", add some effect like heavy breath (sound) or possibly some visual effect (like a small red sense-like effect on the visual of the tired player).
I like it.
People are often afraid or reluctant to RP their character as being exhausted after a spar in fear that it will make their oponent seem superior or better skilled because they are not as equally tired. It's a shame really.
Yep.
But like the HP and Forcepool system that got introduced, it does not take the player's individual characteristic or age into consideration.

Example: Person A and Person B are of the same level whereas Person A is renown for her incredible dexterity and strength and is seven years older than person B. Person B is a bookworm who spends more time reading than exercising, meaning his muscles are less developed. Yet because of the levelled fatigue meter they both, in theory, have the same physical endurance.
This is a handicap for person A and a bonus for peron B.
Consider that, as it is, every has the same fatigue limit: none.
mean, it'd be fantastic if everyone was hardcore and totally logical/realistic in their roleplaying. Fact is, they're not. I mean, I'm not.
This is really what it comes down to..like Gabe said, none of us are honest if we say we always RP fatigue. Those of us saying here "uh huh it's good to RP it instead", which I do agree with, are also guility of RPing it badly.

Rash Loist
Lost One

Post by Rash Loist »

Also, yes.. I think this needs to be RP'd and not enforced. After a run or a fight I don't think my character would start gasping for air.
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

Though I very well understand the reservations here, I wonder whether my post is being read or not. Rash, your character would last a long time without problems under this system, probably as long as you'd ever need. :) Any amount of downtime would go a long way towards "recovering" on the meter. It's only if you ran around for two hours straight without walking once...but when do you do that? Consider it honestly. Even during a lengthy sparring session, you have to re-shield..wait for your opponent...the regen would have many opportunities.

I'm completely open to how such a thing could be modified to make it more enjoyable/appropriate for everyone.

Making it an optional "gadget", like Gabe suggested, could also be a way to implement it as an RP feature without making it "forced".

Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

I could be wrong, but I see all of this "no i don't think we need this, we should RP it" as being just another way of saying "dont make me need to calm down after a bit, i'll rp it! ::crosses fingers::". I mean, I really don't mean to sound harsh lol. And yeah, I'd hate if I were jumping around all of the sudden can't because i'm exhausted. it's realistic though.

I see both sides of the argument, and it basically depends on which you want: realism or base game mechanics.

either way though, this really isn't that big of a deal.