Gradual FP Drain Powers

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Gradual FP Drain Powers

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

While "theorizing" about Force powers, it came to me that the only powers that it makes sense to have take a single chunk of FP when first used would be Push and Pull, as they're both instant powers with immediate effects. With the rest of the current batch of Force powers, however, it makes more sense for them to have a gradual drain on FP, similar to how some already operate such as hold, storm, or jump.

You would technically be able to fully heal yourself if you have more FP than HP, just leaving heal on until you run out of FP or until your HP is maxed again. Heal others would function exactly the same, except only for people in your vicinity. Speed would last until you turn it off or until you're out of FP. Things like this. It just makes more sense, honestly.
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

Agreed. My only addendum is for Speed, I would reason that the Force power level would not only determine the speed of FP reduction, but each level of Speed would also have a max duration that you could hold it on, as it is now.

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

I think that negates the point. Independent of which level of speed you have, your "time cap" would simply be how much FP you have. This is the most realistic way, in my opinion.
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

Gabe Alkorda wrote:I think that negates the point. Independent of which level of speed you have, your "time cap" would simply be how much FP you have. This is the most realistic way, in my opinion.
I guess this is true.

Nira'kalen'nuruodo
Lost One

Post by Nira'kalen'nuruodo »

The biggest problem I see with that implementation of Speed is that there's little incentive to gain higher ranks of the skill. If the only difference is the rate of FP drain, it hardly becomes worthwhile spending XP on it. A reduced FP cost might be advantageous for Guardians, who have more limited FP pools, but the same can't necessarily be said for Consulars or even Sentinels. A speed increase, as per suggestions in other threads, would help the issue.

Other than that, I'm in agreement with the implementation for other powers.

Nira'kalen'nuruodo
"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value."
|age_53|height_1.7m|weight_85kg|species_chiss|mentor_cyril.feraan|padawan_eugen.darkrider_nastajja.arren|

Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Gabe Alkorda wrote:I think that negates the point. Independent of which level of speed you have, your "time cap" would simply be how much FP you have. This is the most realistic way, in my opinion.
I disgaree.

I know you hate the current Guardian/Sentinel/Consular ranks Gabe but seeing as they are very much in effect, your theory makes it so Consulars could sprint for longer than a Guardian.

In my Opinion, speed is a phsyical trait and would be easier for a Guardian to maintain. Having all Force Powers minus Push and Pull have a FP drain would result in Guardians being at a constant disadvantage.

This method would completely over-power the current Consular rank because of their seemingly endless Force Pool.

Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

That's a very good point, Vantus. I wouldn't suggest simply making this change; it'd also require further tweaking. I still believe this would be a much better way of doing things, but some other changes would have to be made.

P.S. Please refer to me as Master Alkorda. This goes for everyone, too.
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

Gabe Alkorda wrote:That's a very good point, Vantus. I wouldn't suggest simply making this change; it'd also require further tweaking. I still believe this would be a much better way of doing things, but some other changes would have to be made.

P.S. Please refer to me as Master Alkorda. This goes for everyone, too.
I concur with Master Alkorda on both counts in this instance.

Jamus Kevari
Lost One

Post by Jamus Kevari »

After applying Speed 4 after my grant, it shows to take 35 FP instead of 50 FP, so I suppose the power is not naked with improvements upon the higher levels.
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

My way of seeing it is like this:

A jedi knight with the level speed of 5 would mantian the force drain in a
slower rate than a padawan with speed level 1,the force power would be enable until the FP drop to 0 , plus the difference in speed ,so that means longer force powers and a fair way to see it depending on the rank of the force user.

Is this what you want Master Alkorda?
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

Bingo.
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Bumping this in relation to the Link supplied by Master Alkorda in this thread.

In my current state I have 92 Force Points. Using Protect results in the expected crouch animation which further stalls me. During this crouching time, my FP is draining as this suggestion is aiming for. By the time I can move I have lost 59 force points. This therefore allows for two-thirds of a Force Jump before it turns itself off and leaves me with 0 FP and a slow regen to account for.
If I want to lunge (or use Anything else for that matter that requires FP) the Protect Power turns itself off or I am denied the allowance to do anything else because I have insufficient FP. If I leave the ability on and do not use anything else, it lasts for 10 seconds exactly..

This renders Protection utterly uselsss and completely undesirable for me. Vantus is meant to be a more phsycially able person, which is why I chose Guardian yet I am unable to express that beyond RP or esentially "demonstrate" it effectively when required.

Now if all other non-instant powers were to follow in this trend of draining FP (like Speed), I'd have absolutely NO desire to explore other areas as they would seem like a waste of time seeing as i'd never use them.

However I DO take into consideration that I still have a ways to go in regards to level and some Higher levelled Guardians have expressed their content with the way Guardian is so I am willing to see how it goes as it stands. I won't be changing class as this will always be Vantus' area of expertise and I refuse to change class purely for game mechanics and OOC sparring..

I just feel the implication of this suggestion would be potentionally crippling to those with little in the way of Force Points to begin with.
I also believe that while - yes, all powers require a person to "tap into the Force", some abilities should be second nature to Guardians just as some are second nature to Consulars. I currently feel like a lesser Jedi or "weak in the Force" because all I have as an advantage is extra Shields and HP which isn't necessarily a bonus of Force Sensitivity rather that of a good Work out and hard training.

PS. This isn't a whine by the way! Just a thorough explination why I don't support this suggestion fully wth an example. I'm ready for corrections and am open to be swayed. This is purely my opinion on an OOC and game mechanic perspective and does not conflict with my views towards RP! :)

Xaran Varc

Post by Xaran Varc »

I agree, some Force powers need to be toned down, make them more realistic.

In regard to speed. Isn't it possible to enable, at higher levels, users to see the world and the individuals around him in slow motion, allowing to dodge attacks easily and attack quicker with greater accuracy, next to the ability to maintain sprinting speeds for a brief time?
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

That noted, Padawan Fayden (:P), you'd find it easier if the initial expenditure cap were removed and the Force Powers of a non-instant duration operated with just a gradual drain of FP - I, for one, don't find either Absorb or Protect particularly useful, since it pretty much ensures (as you've noted) that I can't use any other abilities (unless I'm using Absorb and someone fires off a burst of Lightning) until I deactivate the protective bubble. Sufficed to say, that literally means that you need to be seriously high in level or unreliant on your Force abilities (which most Consulars are NOT) to use them without disadvantaging yourself to a ridiculous extent.

Protect, Absorb and Sense most definately need an FP drain replacing the initial bulk FP expenditure. And yes, Speed does too. Here's how you do it: you alter the rate of FP drain dependent on level. That ensures that Speed naturally has a better duration the higher your level goes (both because you have more FP with higher levels and less drain occuring), which makes it worth the investment. Same goes for Sense, Absorb, Protect and so on.

For the Absorb ability, also adding Master Kevari's idea (or some variant thereof) would ensure effectiveness: higher FP drain at lower levels, plus a lack of/lower skill in absorbing FP from an attacking Force Ability.
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

I think that's a decent suggestion right there Aslyn.

Removing the initial deduction from some skills would mean the ability would last longer and thus be more worthwhile in battle.

However I feel speed should be exempt from that rule seeing as the Higher level it is, the longer it lasts. The bonus of levelling up speed is its duration.
It would be silly if ranking Speed up meant that you were not recieving any bonus whatsoever because your Force Pool would never allow for any longer than what speed 1 offers.

For example:
If my Force Pool runs out 9 seconds after activating speed 2 which has the potential to last a total of 15 seconds, that would be pointless taking anything beyond speed 1. It doesn't quite make sense, especially given the physical nature of Speed.