Sense/telepathy/empathy messagemode

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Sense/telepathy/empathy messagemode

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

Jedi, and Force-sensitives in general, are empathetic to others' emotions, reading the basic emotions of others by nature, such as happiness, sorrow, fear, anger, confusion, distress, etc.

I propose a new messagemode for Force-sensitive characters, based on an account parameter, to allow more flavor and a wider opportunity to role play with the telepathic/empathic reality of Force-sensitives.

It would be an account parameter as some individuals are more open to the Force, and would have a wider range of sensing emotions and topical thoughts. Thus allowing Jedi Knight X to view this message mode in a wider range than Initiate Y. Which would be the necessity of a messagemode, allowing for the transparency feature to play a role in that, perhaps to a higher "contrast" capacity, some individuals not even seeing the message that is out of their sensory range.

This also could have the Force bond feature play a more prominent role, where as two bonded folks wouldn't have any transparency limitation aspects between their characters in this messagemode.
Jamus Kevari
Lost One

Post by Jamus Kevari »

Seems like a solid idea to me. ++Realism
Xa'o Zalei
Lost One

Post by Xa'o Zalei »

I love this. Add more RP elements to our RP mod.
A Jedi does not grasp at power. A Jedi is not a dominator, not an oppressor. To grasp for power is to abandon the ways of the Force.
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

Talking with Soh, let me correct something- not a MESSAGEMODE, but a sub-mode of team chat, a la clan, admin, force bond, etc.
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

Out of curiousity, how would this display an emotion if not entered by a particular character? In essence, how would this appear?
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

Personally, I'd like to see it as an action sort of structure.

=Aslyn=Denethorn=::JEDI::: ::A sense of frustration emanates from Aslyn::

Or something similar.
Iverian Prey

Post by Iverian Prey »

Can't we just do that with /me actions or ^5 ::You feel his confusion:: ?
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

The dynamic chat range transparency adds more to it, and as it will be an account parameter, only Force-sensitive characters will be able to see it.

Sensing someone is in distress and reading it on their face are two different things and playing them as such allows for more dynamics in the role play.
Xaran Varc

Post by Xaran Varc »

Would this not just be an extension from say_team_mode emote?
Koa'da Torik

Post by Koa'da Torik »

Alkur Tekeil wrote:Talking with Soh, let me correct something- not a MESSAGEMODE, but a sub-mode of team chat, a la clan, admin, force bond, etc.
So, yes. :P

Click sig for skin, mirror replaced
“Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty” ~ Socrates
Xaran Varc

Post by Xaran Varc »

Oh, I did not notice that part.

So, basically instead of say_message_mode emote just make it say_message_mode emotion and give it a different colour?
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

I have a tendancy to remember that what is "faded" in the text field is unseen, unheard and unfelt to my character. That's what the range is for. It'd be the same for me writing ":: Vantus makes a rude gesture at Kaelen when he is not looking ::"
OOCly Kael can read it but it doesn't mean his character seen it.
It's the same principle as to why the Chat doesn't disappear from view ENTIRELY, even when you are at the opposite end of the map. It's so other people CAN read it and so others may esentially "fish" for RP.

I'd still say if you want somebody to pick up on the emotion, use regular chat with the traditional cyan colour. If it's only one person you wish to pick up on it, use the PM feature with the colours.

As for non-Force sensitives detecting feelings from somebody, thats either bad RP on their part or can be put down to "feeling vibes" which isn't that difficult for the everyday chap and chapette. Plus... seeing that about 98% of our Guests want to join and are potential hopefuls, that'd make them Force Sensitive too no? :P

HOWEVER, that said - I don't suppose this suggestion could do any harm. It's not forcing a player to use it and it IS encouraging a little bit more creativity which I enjoy!
If it's easy to impliment and not time consuming, I don't see why not for those that want it.
I suppose it's good that this isn't replaceing a system in effect and there are still work arounds if needs be.

Go for it! :)
Last edited by Vantus on Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

As long as the bond mode still remains for those who want to directly convey emotions and thoughts within their bond instead of sharing them for all to sense.

It's a good idea to have a better way to communicate feelings for all Force sensitives to pick up on, but still, there are also times when I may want to convey something directly within a bond rather than leave it open for all to feel.

I don't happen to have any bonds right now, but it's just a thought.

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Xaran Varc

Post by Xaran Varc »

Vantus wrote:I have a tendancy to remember that what is "faded" in the text field is unseen, unheard and unfelt to my character. That's what the range is for. It'd be the same for me writing ":: Vantus makes a rude gesture at Kaelen when he is not looking ::"
OOCly Kael can read it but it doesn't mean his character seen it.
It's the same principle as to why the Chat doesn't disappear from view ENTIRELY, even when you are at the opposite end of the map. It's so other people CAN read it and so others may esentially "fish" for RP.

I'd still say if you want somebody to pick up on the emotion, use regular chat with the traditional cyan colour. If it's only one person you wish to pick up on it, use the PM feature with the colours.

As for non-Force sensitives detecting feelings from somebody, thats either bad RP on their part or can be put down to "feeling vibes" which isn't that difficult for the everyday chap and chapette. Plus... seeing that about 98% of our Guests want to join and are potential hopefuls, that'd make them Force Sensitive too no? :P

HOWEVER, that said - I don't suppose this suggestion could do any harm. It's not forcing a player to use it and it IS encouraging a little bit more creativity which I enjoy!
If it's easy to impliment and not time consuming, I don't see why not for those that want it.
I suppose it's good that this isn't replaceing a system in effect and there are still work arounds if needs be.

Go for it! :)
Just write in the console rpc_chatRange_mode 2. This way your character will only see messages that are close to you. I found what someone else is saying when he or she is not near my character at all to be annoying; I therefore changed it to range 2.
Iverian Prey

Post by Iverian Prey »

I'm with Vantus.