Stamina Controlled Run Speed

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Li Andru
Exiled

Stamina Controlled Run Speed

Post by Li Andru »

[I do come up with some catchy titles :lol:]

So I was sitting in my bath tub after a long day's work, and got to thinking about... old ideas sort of dropping out, which was actually completely off topic to what this general idea is suggestion.

As I continued to splurt out random ideas, I thought of a suggestion that seems totally impossible, but worth mentioning.

The general concept is to place a bar at the bottom center of your screen. The bar would indicate a stamina sort of bar (That has been recommended countless of times and about a 50/50 agreement to disagreement) that would have a scroll action lever. By raising the bar would indicate full stamina, actively moving and no limitations. By decreasing the position of the lever on the bar would literally slow your character down.

Now, as you can see from my fine art of Microsoft Paint, you can see what I am suggesting.

From the position of the lever on the bar, it would indicate a near slowing walk. If I should raise it, that means I would have the capacity to fully run without any problems what-so-ever.

In our current system, there are... two forms of movement. Sprinting and walking. I am suggesting possibly increasing the number of movements to a sprint, run, mild walk, walk. Maybe alter these by some chance, but meh.

Okay! What do you think?!
|Age - 12|Species - Female Togruta| Former Apprentice to Moza Ferorn|
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

Not really sure it'd be necessary - we already have a lot of Jedi using their Force Speed abilities to generate a fast walk, and though it might be useful to have a slower/halting walk for those that have sustained an injury, there are ways to do that absent any such system.

Not necessarily a bad idea, though, although maybe the HUD could use a little editting, so that stamina bar of yours doesn't stand out as much. And would this also be applied to other physical activities (i.e. really functioning as a stamina bar), or merely used as a slide indicator to indicate run/walk speeds?
Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

I like it. I've always wanted to walk more quickly, and walking with Force Speed activated just looks plain silly. It desaturates your character a bit and leaves a tiny trail, even when walking.

It'd be nice if the interface was trigger-able, like it only shows when you open the console.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Li Andru
Exiled

Post by Li Andru »

Oh that is not an edited program :P It is just Microsoft paint.

But the general idea was to indicate movement of your character. Generally speaking between the current speeds we have, the walking and the non-walking, and adding in two or more individual speeds. Perhaps a slower walk or faster speed, or something in the middle; stamina as well as speed.

The general theory behind the bar is to... Like, now we have buttons that switch between Walking and Running. By coding a separate walk, the bar would be at different levels of speed adjustment. The lowest being a mere crawl, the highest being a fast sprint as to the current height is. And, of course for realistic purposes, the adjustment being made by the alteration of the button on the bar.

By both adding the trigger/button/lever on the bar would also help maneuver your character through means of stamina. A full bar means you are healthy, active and energized. A low bar means you would need to rest and relax.

Through Council monitoring the development of your character, species and physical training and such, the downtime of the stamina could be suggested to... be like Health or Force; to generally increase and decrease depending on the status of the individual. Some examples of what *this* particular section means:

Scenario 1 - You increase the bar to maximum, obviously being a high sprint. To specific alterations from your character, it may take... like Master Loist 10 minutes to become exhausted (With the bar at max, mind you) as compared to Sasha taking only two or three. The bar would be decreasing all the time if it was at or beyond a certain point, and the only way it could regenerate is through sitting/meditating, laying down or the sorts.

Scenario 2 - If a certain individual were to remain at a minimum capacity, he or she would be at a steady jog. Meaning, you could last longer. But the stamina bar would still decrease and such, because you would still be pushing your body to run.

Now, I understand how this might get complicated or even confusing. People are probably reading this and thinking "What? We already have a walking button. How would there be a difference?" or even "Why would this be beneficial?"

Okay, so... Often times we run, right? Run for 5 minutes "::Begins to pant heavily::". The two choices that could be made possible is the stamina bar slowly decreasing, or the manual position to lower and the speed of your character would still pant heavily, but it would not be at that fast pace that is already the default system of JKA.

::Edit:: Sorry, this is just an edit to answer Aslyn's question.

Well, I just wanted to get it started, the idea and hypothesis behind it. I am sure other members of the community could generate better/more ideas than what I offer, but I just wanted it to be a match to start the suggestion.
Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

I don't like it for stamina, at all. Lol. However, I really like it for controlling walking speed.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Zeak Dystiny
Lost One

Post by Zeak Dystiny »

I haven't really read over it, as I'm nackered but, would it enable us to make the smaller people walk faster? I hate having to 'quick run' to catch up to people I'm walking and talking with.

"Is all that sales-babble in your brochure? Because I think I'm going to puke. Perhaps you'd like me to leverage your synergy with my vibroblade."
Xfire: Whenlightfades

Rash Loist
Lost One

Post by Rash Loist »

Zeak Dystiny wrote:I haven't really read over it, as I'm nackered but, would it enable us to make the smaller people walk faster? I hate having to 'quick run' to catch up to people I'm walking and talking with.
I like this idea because of what Corinth said, and this.
Li Andru
Exiled

Post by Li Andru »

Eh, I am going to disagree with that, Zeak. :( It would pose unrealistic for smaller kids to keep up with the speed of an adult.

But at least I got support for the speed system!
Olim Adasca
Lost One

Post by Olim Adasca »

Li Andru wrote:Eh, I am going to disagree with that, Zeak. :( It would pose unrealistic for smaller kids to keep up with the speed of an adult.

Nah, Zeak is talking about walking speed that can be upped. I have it too when walking with bigger people that you fall behind. If you could make smaller models pace quicker, we wouldn't have to catch up by running all the time.
Olim Adasca || Age: 33 || Species: Arkanian || Height: 1.86 m || Weight: 106.7 kg || Initiated: 274.28 ABY || Homeworld: Arkania || Birthdate: 268.20 || Mentors : Sebastin Creed 279.29 - 296.28 || Retired: 302.13 ABY
"Never give up, never surrender."
"Before all else, your duty to others."
"Always make your own drinks."
Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

Could we perhaps use this bar to limit the number of physical activities an individual can do in a short period of time? For instance, throwing 40 swings in a row should get you exhausted, jumping around for 2 minutes straight should get you so exhausted you should no longer be able to move...
One of the key annoyances is Rping your character training their stamina and having characters with obviously much less Rp put into physical exercise survive a 20 minute long spar, forcing me to go out of my character's sparring range to simply finish the blasted thing. This diminishes Rp integrity, and I'm sure makes all people with characters that use Soresu want to never spar again...
This may have been suggested before, and probably tuned down. But since we are limiting/delimiting running and such would it be a bother to include support for other straining physical activity?
Also, could we have speed done in bursts as well? I'd prefer it to the current form of speed...
(Gone way off-topic, yes, but they're still useful) And I agree totally with the idea, we should also make xp appliable to it/ make it progress with our characters increase in experience(leveling up). I also think it should be either specific to a character(through xp application), or specific to a class.(Guardian, Sentinel, Consular...)
And, yes. Let us leave the children with the limited distance they can cover while walking/running as compared to an adult. as annoying as it may be..they have tiny legs :P
|age_48|height_1.72m|weight_64kg |race_mirialan|mentor_aknaross.myotis| padawans_serris.k'ral/oberon.pentari/voth.ahkrin|
Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

No. We will not be implementing mechanics to force a player to be exhausted. It can be handled completely through roleplay.

Besides, the only thing "forcing" you to go out of your character's sparring range is your craving to win. :-P
Zeak Dystiny
Lost One

Post by Zeak Dystiny »

Olim Adasca wrote:
Li Andru wrote:Eh, I am going to disagree with that, Zeak. :( It would pose unrealistic for smaller kids to keep up with the speed of an adult.

Nah, Zeak is talking about walking speed that can be upped. I have it too when walking with bigger people that you fall behind. If you could make smaller models pace quicker, we wouldn't have to catch up by running all the time.
Yeah, I don't see six+ year olds struggling to keep up with adults these days.

"Is all that sales-babble in your brochure? Because I think I'm going to puke. Perhaps you'd like me to leverage your synergy with my vibroblade."
Xfire: Whenlightfades

Johauna Darkrider
Lost One

Post by Johauna Darkrider »

Sounds a bt impractical to me to 'force' player to be exhausted. As we do have extremes, who train physically a lot, they'd get exhausted much slower than say someone, who's mainly intellectual character, rarely training physically. I believe it's up to each RP'er to RP that.

There's imo no need for game mechanics to force RP on you. What fun be in having the game RP'ing everything for us?
age --|height_1.65m|weight_54kg|race_human|mentor_ergo.stomi|jamus.kevari|arkallon
Nira wrote:I guess medicine isn't quite at the stage of being able to deal with stubborn Corellians.
Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

What fun would it be if people produced super Jedi? Jedi who fight for 30+ minutes? I am actually trying to maintain Physical characters as physical and intellectual characters as intellectual with the suggestion I proposed.

It serves to prevent people from switching to the "gamer" mindset when sparring and forces them to remain IC, while still using OOC sabering mechanics that fit their character's strengths and weaknesses.

What really blows my head is seeing a quiet, reserved character transform into a monster saberist whilst sparring. This shows inconsistensy within Rp.

To stop this we add training wheels, i.e the above restrictions I mentioned. It's fairly within "maintaining character's abilities" as you will progress "tangibly" with support from game mechanics. Kind of like learning push, if you don't put Rp into telekinisis you'll never learn it.

And yes, they have no problem keeping up with adults because of how much sugar they ingest! Plus, I like to win:P Besides, It'd be humiliating for a character who puts so much work into sabering to fall when facing someone weaker/younger even...I'd feel...struck down X_X

//EDIT: While you do have a point, you forget that an inexperienced jedi should not be able to beat an experienced one. It's simply a matter of ability.
Last edited by Ametha Tasia on Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
|age_48|height_1.72m|weight_64kg |race_mirialan|mentor_aknaross.myotis| padawans_serris.k'ral/oberon.pentari/voth.ahkrin|
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

Besides, It'd be humiliating for a character who puts so much work into sabering to fall when facing someone weaker/younger even...I'd feel...struck down X_X
Only if you allow your ego to enter the equation, which no Jedi should.