Lightsaber Offense Suggestion

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Nivek Tholmai
Lost One

Lightsaber Offense Suggestion

Post by Nivek Tholmai »

Whilst playing Single Player Jedi Academy, a thought occured to me. You begin with level one Lightsaber Offense. With this, you can only use the Medium stance. Given the number of complaints I've heard from people about using blue stance, and the fact that in single player: you start with medium and obtain fast and strong stance later... I was wondering if it would be possible to make Lightsaber Offense one in RPMod grant medium stance, and level two grant Fast stance.

To make sure we're clear, I'm proposing:

Saber Offense Level 1 - Medium Stance (Yellow)
Saber Offense Level 2 - Fast Stance (Blue)

The rest of the stances in RPMod remaining untouched.
Fane Ornn'ila
Lost One

Post by Fane Ornn'ila »

Yea I thought of this too for awhile, back on other places. Blue really involves a lot more movements and twists and what not as well. I suppose that it's the thing we always think of as Shii-Cho.

I think it's a good idea, always had it in the back of my head, specially on training settings for initiates it could be something good, although I'm also a little two sided on it. yellow will probably always be conciderd more advanced than blue, since people usually underestimate what blue can do..

Fane Ornn'ila - Jedi Knight
¦ Mentor: Kaelen Sekura ¦

Nivek Tholmai
Lost One

Post by Nivek Tholmai »

Quick stance is more efficient than medium stance at deflection also. So having this as a starting point will reflect a beginner status.
Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

Blue can do alot, and both yellow and blue require lots of skill to weild properly. However, blue needs less strength to use than yellow as yellow needs the user to actually use their strength to swing;whereas blue simply relies on wrist movements. I doubt initiates have much strength in them at the ages of 5 and 7.

Secondly, Shii Cho, Makashi, Soresu...all these forms can be use any stance available. Some favor a stance over the other, but that doesn't mean a Soresu user cannot switch to red when the opportunity presents itself. In conclusion, you cannot say Shii Cho is purely yellow. See yellow for...advanced Shii Cho among other forms...

//Edit: Although I missed this at first, and was not actually responding to your post...
Fane wrote:I suppose that it's the thing *we* always think of as Shii-Cho.
So in the words of Bastila Shan, "There, take that!" :P
Last edited by Ametha Tasia on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|age_48|height_1.72m|weight_64kg |race_mirialan|mentor_aknaross.myotis| padawans_serris.k'ral/oberon.pentari/voth.ahkrin|
Fane Ornn'ila
Lost One

Post by Fane Ornn'ila »

I didn't say yellow is for shii-cho... nor is blue. just people *tend* to view blue as the shii-cho stance.

Fane Ornn'ila - Jedi Knight
¦ Mentor: Kaelen Sekura ¦

Jamus Kevari
Lost One

Post by Jamus Kevari »

One thing that sticks out to me is that (as far as I know) one cannot perform the Yellow DFA without Jump 2, whereas one can perform all available maneuvers with the Blue "Fast" stance. This, in combination with the facts that Blue is weaker in terms of applied force, more conservative in moves with more jab-like swings instead of full-extension swings, and that Blue is colloquially accepted as "Level 1" in the multiplayer setting, I feel that the current system should be retained.

Though, switching Level 4 Offense and Level 5 Offense is a different story...
Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

Actually, you can perform the yellow dfa without jump 2.
|age_48|height_1.72m|weight_64kg |race_mirialan|mentor_aknaross.myotis| padawans_serris.k'ral/oberon.pentari/voth.ahkrin|
Jamus Kevari
Lost One

Post by Jamus Kevari »

Point stricken, then.
Rash Loist
Lost One

Post by Rash Loist »

My opinion:

Saber Offense 1 - Yellow
Saber Offense 2 - Blue
Saber Offense 3 - Red
Saber Offense 4 - Tavion
Saber Offense 5 - Desann
Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

Yellow in Sp is much weaker than yellow in MP.
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

The only problem with that, insofar as I can see one, is that it'll remove a significant XP-sink (i.e. a mechanism to prompt XP expenditure), since practically everyone hates blue and many now use Balanced as a standard - to give that to them immediately somewhat detracts from the whole point of moving up a level. If everyone's happen with Yellow, why bother spending to levels, 2 or 3? Everyone starts with Offense 1, so there'd actually be little to no reason to bother spending anything on Saber Offense ever again, unless you want red (and wouldn't be too shocked to see that suggested as Offense 2 instead of 3).
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

Usually the main complaint about blue stance is that it provides the powerful overused DFA move, but that's really not an issue in the long run, especially as you gain more HP with levels, as well as more Saber Defense. I see the point of this, but overall, yellow is still superior.

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Drasli Khaar

Post by Drasli Khaar »

Blue should also remain the starting style of attack because its best for defensive capabilities where as yellow is about half-and-half with offensive and defensive capabilities. To me it makes me sense for a jedi student to learn more about defense rather than offense, just my thought though. :wink:
|age_12|height_1.42m|weight_45kg|race_human|
JEDI Skin Update 01-01-'10
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

I asked Soh about this some time back (about v0.2 I think). And he said that it couldn't be done, as its a part of the SP coding.

I'm not sure if that statement still stands.

For those new to this argument:
The desire of having yellow stance be the first learned is based on the notion that yellow stance is more basic than the others. Its not highly offensive or defensive, which would be realistic to first learning how to wield a lightsaber. One would learn the basics of both offense and defense (most akin to yellow stance) before pursuing more defensive (blue stance) or offensive (red stance) techniques.
Sasha Raven
Lost One

Post by Sasha Raven »

Rash Loist wrote:My opinion:

Saber Offense 1 - Yellow
Saber Offense 2 - Blue
Saber Offense 3 - Red
Saber Offense 4 - Tavion
Saber Offense 5 - Desann
Sounds good.
|height_5.11ft.|race_human| mentor_corinth.alkorda|Skin : http://www.gamefront.com/files/24280582/Sasha.zip