Force Jump Revamp

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Force Jump Revamp

Post by Sared Kilvan »

In every canonical instance that we see Force Jump being used, it is always more of a 'springboard' action. A set amount of energy is being used to leap a set amount of feet into the air or forwards.

The closest translation that I've seen of this is in the original Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith games. You hold down jump to charge the amount of upward thrust desired, then release to go up. The higher rank of Jump earned, the more upward thrust you could charge beneath your feet.

Currently Jump functions more like jump jets. You hold it down, then release when you want to stop moving upwards, or until your power's rank or FP limit is reached.

TL;DR version: Make Jump more like it was in the original Jedi Knight game.

Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

I like the idea. Perhaps the same can be applied to push, pull and speed?
|age_48|height_1.72m|weight_64kg |race_mirialan|mentor_aknaross.myotis| padawans_serris.k'ral/oberon.pentari/voth.ahkrin|
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Push and pull perhaps. That way, those who don't want to send the whole room flying with ranks 4/5 don't have to 'downrank' their abilities. Speed I don't think is nessacery, since all the higher ranks do is increase the duration.

Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

Ah, but its better to use speed in bursts, instead of losing control, lol.
Also, jump is cooler that way, I think, but we should always be able to strafe(hop), since its vital to Red.
|age_48|height_1.72m|weight_64kg |race_mirialan|mentor_aknaross.myotis| padawans_serris.k'ral/oberon.pentari/voth.ahkrin|
Zeak Dystiny
Lost One

Post by Zeak Dystiny »

Not keen on the idea actually. Found it quite irritating in JK/MoTS.

"Is all that sales-babble in your brochure? Because I think I'm going to puke. Perhaps you'd like me to leverage your synergy with my vibroblade."
Xfire: Whenlightfades

Zekii Abrak
Lost One

Post by Zekii Abrak »

Well, It's a good idea for the push and pull, maybe we can add an animation of the energy growing before we push !

"You're blue because of the lack of oxygen in your blood ! "
Initiated: 269.30 |Age:16 | Name:Zekii Abrak | Race:Mon Calamarian|

Ommar
Lost One

Post by Ommar »

I dunno that all JEDI are ICly pro enough to Force jump every time they jump. A secondary bind just for Force Jumping would be superb, right?
Rash Loist
Lost One

Post by Rash Loist »

Zeak Dystiny wrote:Not keen on the idea actually. Found it quite irritating in JK/MoTS.
^^^
Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

Rash Loist wrote:
Zeak Dystiny wrote:Not keen on the idea actually. Found it quite irritating in JK/MoTS.
^^^
^^^
Arendur
Lost One

Post by Arendur »

I think this is a great idea. A quick tap for maximum jump, or timed hold for specific heights. This would require additional skill to use well and could be great for training students. In JK:DF2 and MotS it worked very well, and I believe it would work well in JKA too.

Due to some opposition however, perhaps a choice would be possible? Those who want the challenge or the new style can use it, and those who want to use the old could use that (through a cvar setting).

In doing so, those who use the JK:DF2 style would jump higher faster, because the jump is just an initial velocity boost. Where as those who use the JKA style would have more control, but slower velocity boost.
| Someone should make me a cool signature | Clothes welcome too |
Roan Takk
Lost One

Post by Roan Takk »

I am very strongly against this idea. Jump is a very basic feature of the game and is something everyone uses all the time. To change it would introduce a huge learning gap and problem into the mix. If the change were something radically great, I could see the possible benefit. However, I feel this isn't even a good idea in the first place, and so there's no way I can be behind this.

Eugen Darkrider
Lost One

Post by Eugen Darkrider »

Roan Takk wrote:I am very strongly against this idea. Jump is a very basic feature of the game and is something everyone uses all the time. To change it would introduce a huge learning gap and problem into the mix. If the change were something radically great, I could see the possible benefit. However, I feel this isn't even a good idea in the first place, and so there's no way I can be behind this.
Second this. ^
Masters: Nira'kalen'nuruodo | Iverian Prey | Aslyn Denethorn
Jamus Kevari
Lost One

Post by Jamus Kevari »

It's a fair idea to me, since I feel the current Jump is rather boring and dull in terms of mechanics. On the other hand however, that specific functionality of the maneuver is integral to many saberists' techniques for success, let alone the basic leaping ability outside of combat for just about everyone. In the end, the most basic of the JKA mechanics usually win out in these types of suggestions.
Valon Rachius
Lost One

Post by Valon Rachius »

I agree with Sared that the old style of Force Jump was more faithful to the movies, since it was always seen as an explosive power. But I think this suggestion falls under the same category as altering the sabering system to include block meters and manual blocking. It would be more realistic, but might make it more complex than needed.

A good suggestion, though. And I do miss that older, more powerful jump.
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Sorry guys, normally I'm always for new things to try but this one I'm not sure even I would like.

Though, sometimes to give it a look like I'm 'springboarding' I crouch for a moment before I jump upwards. Though, I wouldn't like to have to do this when I'm running. I can foresee problems with things like gaps, turning it into a sort of... final fantasy animation. *star jumps from A to B*

You run towards an edge to jump, then you have to pause a moment to charge your jump, the head upwards and forwards to clear the gap.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol