Species: Bonuses and Penalties

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Species: Bonuses and Penalties

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Well I'm pretty certain this might have been suggested before but I wanted to bring up my idea just to check and see what the general thoughts are.

I slightly mentioned something like this on another suggestion thread regarding Force Regen. However, I thought about it a bit more and in essence there could be good and bad points to it or perhaps not.

The idea can be implemented in multiple ways (Depending on Soh's ability and knowledge) but what if we could have a list of Species with bonuses and penalties in different areas added in? I think this would give some great diversity in a lot of areas and perhaps cause some greater variety in choices.

The ways this could be added are in different ways as well, ranging from:

Certain powers open/restricted at the beginning or from certain levels.

(Small example: Miraluka have Level 1 'Sense' automatically once a Padawan Learner)

[This could also be the exact same bonus on another species with similar abilities]

(Small example: Kushiban have Level 1 'Speed' automatically *at a certain point* but are restricted from Red Stance due to size and build in accordance with other species.)

[This might not be popular or correct in terms of the Kushiban but as an example it makes sense I hope

--------]

Other species might have other bonuses like:

Intellegence - (+1 XP automatically every 2 weeks.)

Strength - (Great damage [countered by restriction from Blue Stance) = i.e their slower.

Agility - (Slightly Less FPs used when jumping.)

Also: Percentage Bonus/Penalty (+/-) of health, force (total or regen) [some species are naturally stronger than others in regards to build and resistence]

----

It would take a lot of work and thought but the idea is there I would think and it could be an interesting addition. It's common in other games I suppose, so some of you will know exactly what I'm getting at (Think World of Warcraft, Star War Galaxies ertc).

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Yulia Cera
Lost One

Post by Yulia Cera »

Not a big fan of this, I'd prefer to keep things as they are and simple. But if we did go with this I suppose for the the Togruta it would have something to do with connection with the land and how it heightens their force sensitivity / power.
|Age_24|Race_Togruta|Homeworld_Shili|Height
_1.72m|Weight_51.3kg|Mentor_Gabe Alkorda(Deceased)_Dixo Xan(Active) | Initiated_268.13
Zeak Dystiny
Lost One

Post by Zeak Dystiny »

Hmm, I'd say I'm on the fence about this. You can easily RP your strengths according to how you act IC and when using ::'s.

"Is all that sales-babble in your brochure? Because I think I'm going to puke. Perhaps you'd like me to leverage your synergy with my vibroblade."
Xfire: Whenlightfades

Roan Takk
Lost One

Post by Roan Takk »

I would completely recommend dumping the current KOTOR class system (Consular, Guardian, Sentinel) in favor of a species system. It would be far more realistic, effective, and would make more sense in our era, as the KOTOR class system is no longer used by the Jedi Order.

Based on what I've read in the dozens of other suggestion threads, a lot of work has been done towards this goal in the past, largely by Masters Corinth and Gabe Alkorda. I would love to see if Master Corinth has made any further progress, and if anyone is still in contact with Master Gabe, you could see if he has anything saved from before.

Zeak Dystiny
Lost One

Post by Zeak Dystiny »

Well technically, you could keep the classes (just for possible preferred roles IC) but as for their stat differences, I suppose. I wouldn't mind seeing some of these other threads which might've been more developed though, to see what some of the more solid ideas were like.

"Is all that sales-babble in your brochure? Because I think I'm going to puke. Perhaps you'd like me to leverage your synergy with my vibroblade."
Xfire: Whenlightfades

Garik Kelzim

Post by Garik Kelzim »

A species system would be good. :D
Name: Garik Kelzim| Species: Miraluka| Initiated: 276.24| Masters: Tomoran Serevarno
"Five naps a day keep A-48 away!"
Fane Ornn'ila
Lost One

Post by Fane Ornn'ila »

I do see the possible advantages for species related things, but it really depends how far you would want to take it. You would need a huge list of these bonuses and penalties for a lot of species.

Can't afford to miss any out for people that make a species first appearance and then have to wait until a next version for any changes.

There are advantages of course especially for the realism but in the end it would probably just take too much time and probably cause more unbalance than balance because it is still JKA.

If it's even to be concidered it's going to need a lot of thought on so many areas, and I just don't see that being worth it, concidering how much you can make clear through just text roleplay.

Fane Ornn'ila - Jedi Knight
¦ Mentor: Kaelen Sekura ¦

Roan Takk
Lost One

Post by Roan Takk »

Fane wrote:Can't afford to miss any out for people that make a species first appearance and then have to wait until a next version for any changes.
A change in the classes system doesn't require an update of RPMod, from my understanding, it merely requires the classes.dat file to be edited on the server, and the server to then be restarted. Altering classes is really quite simple, I believe.

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

@ Fane:

In regards to the part where people decide to make a species first apperance, I'm pretty certain whoever develops the list will have a huge range of species to work with, some never selected before but available for selection.

With that said, in some cases there species that will probably *never* become a jedi in canon. With that said, perhaps once the list is developed that could be the list of species which can become jedi. From there, if it's not on the list, it's not supported for use in the Jedi Order. (i.e you can't go that species basically)

I hardly think that would be a restriction on people however, before anyone mentions it, as there will be a huge list to select from. We would probably be spoilt for choice if anything.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Ommar
Lost One

Post by Ommar »

I like red stance with Ommar. :P Anyhow, wonders are worked with ::text::.
Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

I don't mind the idea...and the classes system isn't really realistic. But at the same time you can Rp your character's strengths and weaknesses with :: :: and several other subtle Rps.

While still possible, I guess, the system put forth by Corinth doesn't make properties for EVERY single species, it simply gives YOU the choice of customizing your Hp/Fp. You get to literally buy Hp/Fp as you would buy Push/Pull.
|age_48|height_1.72m|weight_64kg |race_mirialan|mentor_aknaross.myotis| padawans_serris.k'ral/oberon.pentari/voth.ahkrin|
Daereon
Lost One

Post by Daereon »

I personally like the idea, and can where it would be a positive change. Then again I can also see a lot of people just not liking having certain limitations placed on them. When you add that a long with the fact that people are pretty much used to the system right now, and just having to ::text:: certain things. I'd say that this idea would probably have to be something you implement if we ever decided to just sort of start over? If that makes any sense.

Daereon Daimon, Jedi Knight, Nexu Clan.
Initiated: 269.30| Mentors: Aeon Xarbon_Ergo Stomi| Knighted: 284.28
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Well, *some* people use ::-::

but I think a system like this, depending on if it can work, would make for more diveristy with implications and even added bonuses introduced.

Simus Cnydaria
Lost One

Post by Simus Cnydaria »

The species system idea gets brought up in the JEDI circles pretty regularly. As for myself, as a yojngling I really was not a fan of the idea. Now...I actually am a lot more in support of it than I used to be. It would take a lot of work and careful planning but I do know we have people who are more than capable of making it happen in a fair and efficient way.
Jenny Wrix
Lost One

Post by Jenny Wrix »

Alot like SWG back in Pre-CU, for ex: if you were a wookiee you would be alot better with unarmed or close-quarters combat. But if you were a Mon-Cal you wouldn't be much of a fighter, instead you would be alot smarter or better at crafting items and making money.

I like the idea.