Datapad Suggestion

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Mazik Darza

Datapad Suggestion

Post by Mazik Darza »

I know there have been datapad suggestions before (I searched and I didn't find any resembling what I'm thinking so here goes nothing).

Make a datapad button so that ingame or make the datapad an item that's useable like a sentry, bacta etc. So that when you use it you go into an anim with the model/item/datapad in your hand (the datapad ingame for aesthetics was suggested before). Once in the anim a menu pops up on the side resembling the screen of the datapad. Some of the options in the datapad menu could be something like this with the following functions:

Note taking: During class you can have a function so everything target person says goes to a note file in the account folder or gets saved directly to your RPmod folder in a .txt file or it can bring up a text field where that gets saved directly to ones rpmod folder

Messaging: send messages to others with datapads that can be read. /tell and /comm can be adapted to this if it's just to certain people. Messages get erased several hours after being read and there can only be a certain amount of messages in the inbox at a time (to keep overflow down). Messages stay there until read so you can send a message and when the recipient logs on they're there.

Notifications: When admins do the broadcast command that has the i: <message> in the top left corner it could appear in the Datapad as a message. For people without RPmod or an account the i could appear at the top left of the screen.

NPCs: for admins maybe add a list of all the server side npcs that they can spawn. Then add a tab for the controls for npcs like follow etc.

I'm sure there's other functions that could be added to the Datapad if it's do able

I think this would be an awesome implementation for RP :D
Click sig for model - Minor Update (Reduced clipping) August 31st
|Age:15|Species:Unidentified|Homeworld:Kirrek|
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

I really do like the idea of it literally taking notes like that. It would help with classes, at least in my opinion.
So if this can be done, I fully support it!
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Iverian Prey

Post by Iverian Prey »

Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

If the coding supports it, it would be nice.

On a more fundamental level, I think having a placeable/usable datapad that just forced the animation and brought up the menu would work well.

Baelin Raddyx
Lost One

Post by Baelin Raddyx »

Debate on datapads have been made. I'd only want them if I could have a custom one, but some people dont' have the extra space for it.

As for your suggestion, with some refinements I would actually enjoy this very much. I can't scroll up with my laptop so in a populated server in class it's hartd to take notes /mining and then jotting them in journal then switching back.
| age_22 | height_2.6m | weight_125kg | race_human | mentor_simus.cnydaria
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Second thought: could make a /datapad command that brought up aforementioned interface, and simply exported to a .txt file in the RPMod folder.

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

I don't think anybody is lacking space for 30 things that are a few megs at most. I just think it's a pointless amount of clutter, maintaining all these different packs for something that we get along without at the moment.

I have hundreds of gigs free space, but the amount of micro-downloads for JEDI is crazy without some kind of patcher system. I'm -almost- tired of constantly opening up my base folder, I should really just get a shortcut.
Baelin Raddyx
Lost One

Post by Baelin Raddyx »

Tomoran wrote:I don't think anybody is lacking space for 30 things that are a few megs at most. I just think it's a pointless amount of clutter, maintaining all these different packs for something that we get along without at the moment.

I have hundreds of gigs free space, but the amount of micro-downloads for JEDI is crazy without some kind of patcher system. I'm -almost- tired of constantly opening up my base folder, I should really just get a shortcut.

You're a genius.
| age_22 | height_2.6m | weight_125kg | race_human | mentor_simus.cnydaria
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

While useful, Mazik, my concern lies with the branching suggestions that would come from this if it was implemented.

If it is possible to incorporate this idea into the mod, I think there should be a limit on how far we'd be willing to go with it, because I feel that it somewhat detracts from the main concept of where the mod is moving, as it would be a major peripheral.
Agitt Tanwa
Lost One

Post by Agitt Tanwa »

Tomoran wrote:I have hundreds of gigs free space, but the amount of micro-downloads for JEDI is crazy without some kind of patcher system. I'm -almost- tired of constantly opening up my base folder, I should really just get a shortcut.
As a side note - its just from my experience with it, but I think putting too much in the actual 'base' folder is a very bad idea, especialy if you have multiple mods installed. :)

I think the datapad idea sounds very nice, if we could even go one step further and make the datapads directly connected with our comport journals, that would be simply awesome, however I have no idea if its even close to possible.

|Last Known Age : 27|Species : Rodian|Status : N/A|

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

I always thought it would be cool to have a Datapad interface, like when you lick 'Inventory' in any game, you get a little interactive window coming up with your items, stats etc and maybe even a section for memo's (which could save into your RPmod folder in a txt like the .cfg files).

This would certainly look awesome and add to the feel of the RP within the game. also, doing this we might need a new emote to show we are in that windowed mode.

On the side note for the admins, a list of options and commands to spawn things would be EXTREMELY welcome. I always try role play that I am 'spawning' something with my datapad rather than bots or bringing it along myself. So something like that would be great.

As for direct links to the forum, not sure if its even possible but that would be cool as well to save having to go window mode all the time.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Azrael
Lost One

Post by Azrael »

I've long been in favour of a new anim with your character actually holding his datapad infront of himself/herself. All the added features though i would have to reject. It all sounds like far too much unecessary work for things that can quite easily be RPed.
|Species: Chiss | Homeworld: Coruscant | Mentors: Aeon Xarbon, Shimi Zaki | Padawans: Imil Ucindus, Kiwron Tirladdik, Munro Olar, Shakk'aven |Position:Jedi Master - Historian/Librarian
Ruluk
Lost One

Post by Ruluk »

If we take this too far, I must agree with Alkur and say that this could become a huge sidebranch. Matter-of-fact, it has done so already, as other people are suggesting more and more things to add to the datapad.

If "calling the datapad" to "take notes" would allow you to save a section of the log from the console, that would be very neat. But I'd keep it to the animation and that. No further since, you know, there are many other, more fundamental, things for Soh to code. :P

Jedi Padawan | Birth 275.08 | Initiation 280.31 | Master Fane Ornn'ila

Let's celebrate cause I've been with you guys for a RL year already! :D (not necessarily active all the time, but still!)
Xa'o Zalei
Lost One

Post by Xa'o Zalei »

I would agree with an animation with the datapad object. The other stuff is not needed.
A Jedi does not grasp at power. A Jedi is not a dominator, not an oppressor. To grasp for power is to abandon the ways of the Force.
Iverian Prey

Post by Iverian Prey »

Let's just make /datapad make your browser pull up the homepage. Lol.