Power Prerequisites

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Power Prerequisites

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Simple enough. In order to get Grip 1, you need Push 1 and Pull 1. In order to get Defense 3, you need Offense 2 or better. In order to get Throw 1, you need Grip 1 or better. Etc.

Specifics that I can think of at this moment:

Grip needs Push+Pull
Throw needs Grip
Offense and Defense can't be more than two levels apart.
Rage needs Speed

Theoretically...

Shield needs Absorb (or vice versa?)
Drain needs Absorb

Atrux Nuro
Lost One

Post by Atrux Nuro »

I like the idea but, push and pull aren't exactly the SAME thing as just Telekinesis.

*I* think you should be required to buy hold 1 before push or pull. Push and Pull is just a concussive burst of pressurized air, built up telekineticly (if that's a word). So, in order to learn how to push, you need to learn basic telekinesis. I've always tried to do something like this with Atrux's Template, before getting a mentor.

/Support.
Species: Lorrdian|Age: 41|Height: 1.88 M|Weight: 93 KG|Birthdate: .02|Mentor(s): Coren Ran// Roan Takk

"I'm willing to die for my beliefs. 'Course, that ain't exactly Plan A."

Rash Loist for Jedi Master level 2
Azrael
Lost One

Post by Azrael »

Personally i love the idea. It's something i've been trying to follow for a while (level 2 heal + meld before level 1 heal others as Az is terrible at healing) but i would imagine that a few of the pre-requisites would need to be agreed upon. Do like the suggestion though. /support.
|Species: Chiss | Homeworld: Coruscant | Mentors: Aeon Xarbon, Shimi Zaki | Padawans: Imil Ucindus, Kiwron Tirladdik, Munro Olar, Shakk'aven |Position:Jedi Master - Historian/Librarian
Garik Kelzim

Post by Garik Kelzim »

It's a great Idea.

/Support
Name: Garik Kelzim| Species: Miraluka| Initiated: 276.24| Masters: Tomoran Serevarno
"Five naps a day keep A-48 away!"
Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

For the record, powers like absorb and lightning are not powers that any jedi can learn, they are special even amongst jedi. As such, these two powers should not be prerequisites for anything, but as we've extended protect to be a kind of barrier type skill, I think that it should not rely on other powers.

In addition, I believe that only 'core' powers should qualify as prerequisites. I view the 'light' and 'dark' powers as specializations and I think saber powers are their own kind of subset.
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Fane Ornn'ila
Lost One

Post by Fane Ornn'ila »

I like the idea, and it should be nice in theory. Think most of us try to keep power progression along these lines.

I suppose it might add some extra restrictions that some people may not like though, because you'd have to pull it through.

Example being, you'd need push and pull on a level before you can get a new level on hold. (As hold is much harder than the bursts). Some people may not want push and pull on level 4, but want hold on 5. (just an example).

So even though I like the idea, I think it may be best to just leave it up to the individual.

Fane Ornn'ila - Jedi Knight
¦ Mentor: Kaelen Sekura ¦

Jamus Kevari
Lost One

Post by Jamus Kevari »

It's a fair line of thinking, one that I support, but in the end I don't think we should place an individual's freedom to choose within the clenches of a vice-grip.
Agitt Tanwa
Lost One

Post by Agitt Tanwa »

I think that while this sounds logically, restrictions are a bad idea. In my opinion we should leave it like it is and just rely on peoples common sense and reason in applying powers. Even if there are really weird things happening at times. :P

|Last Known Age : 27|Species : Rodian|Status : N/A|

Olim Adasca
Lost One

Post by Olim Adasca »

You might want to make saber defense and saber throw have prerequisites like sense and Hold though, considering the implicated need for sense for deflection.
Olim Adasca || Age: 33 || Species: Arkanian || Height: 1.86 m || Weight: 106.7 kg || Initiated: 274.28 ABY || Homeworld: Arkania || Birthdate: 268.20 || Mentors : Sebastin Creed 279.29 - 296.28 || Retired: 302.13 ABY
"Never give up, never surrender."
"Before all else, your duty to others."
"Always make your own drinks."
Maloush
Lost One

Post by Maloush »

Tomoran wrote:For the record, powers like absorb and lightning are not powers that any jedi can learn, they are special even amongst jedi. As such, these two powers should not be prerequisites for anything, but as we've extended protect to be a kind of barrier type skill, I think that it should not rely on other powers.

In addition, I believe that only 'core' powers should qualify as prerequisites. I view the 'light' and 'dark' powers as specializations and I think saber powers are their own kind of subset.
If that were true, everyone other JEDI wouldn't be using them.

Secondly, I really don't see a need for this. It's a good idea, but as Master Kevari said, we shouldn't put restrictions on one's freedom.

Finally, if this is implemented, I think Drain/Meld would go together. Take the energy, give it back, etc.

| age_44 | height_1.80m | weight_81.65g | race_rodian | mentor_martis.alguien | padawan_sarran.kuo/delmi.n'jork/caleb.quintilian|

((Alt. Character Skin))

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

You know that has nothing to do with the reality of the issue, Will, but I digress ...

I don't think we should do anything more to pigeon hole level up stat distribution. If we had prereqs, everybody would start looking pretty similar at low-mid levels which is where I like to think students and knights can really differentiate themselves.
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Ctathos
Lost One

Post by Ctathos »

Drain is going to be revamped to be true to it's name, "Slow". Just give Soh some time :)

Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

I see a potential risk of having to grind through training to get what you want. Or inversely, getting powers too easily/quickly.
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

Garik Kelzim wrote:It's a great Idea.

/Support
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

Jedi aren't trained to use the Force aggressively, but...stupid Luke...>.>
Anyways, this particular restriction is unnecessary, the idea is good, however and can be implemented through Rp.
|age_48|height_1.72m|weight_64kg |race_mirialan|mentor_aknaross.myotis| padawans_serris.k'ral/oberon.pentari/voth.ahkrin|