Melee Cartwheel?

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

Yes, being able to perform the cartwheel without having to have your saber ignited.
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

Then I am against this concept, since the cartwheel has no practical application for playing this game, and more often than not is a hassle rather than beneficial. The same result can be obtained with a regular strafing jump.
Baelin Raddyx
Lost One

Post by Baelin Raddyx »

It is extremely practical, if not even more practical than the saber cartwheel. That's like saying why have mouse look when we can use our arrow keys. In the spirit of realism, a cartwheel is not only an additional animation that can increase interest, but it also helps in training exercises. For instance, when a padawan is trained to dodge without using his saber, the only way he could cartwheel is to use his saber and retcon the ignition, dis-igniting it afterwards. (I have done this).

I truly fail to see how you can't see a beneficial aspect to this Evan. Hit me up on msn, I'd love to discuss this with you further. :roll:
| age_22 | height_2.6m | weight_125kg | race_human | mentor_simus.cnydaria
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

The point is that it's an animation. The only thing gained from this is style. This does not affect game play in the slightest.

I.E. Instead of a hop to the left while shooting to avoid a rocket, you have a slightly more stylized hop to the left while shooting to avoid a rocket.

The suggestion would probably go better in the animations thread.

Johauna Darkrider
Lost One

Post by Johauna Darkrider »

I'd support this suggestion as well.
age --|height_1.65m|weight_54kg|race_human|mentor_ergo.stomi|jamus.kevari|arkallon
Nira wrote:I guess medicine isn't quite at the stage of being able to deal with stubborn Corellians.
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

I shall use the warcry:

TOGGLEABLE!
Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

Alkur Tekeil wrote:I shall use the warcry:

TOGGLEABLE!
OKAY.
|age_48|height_1.72m|weight_64kg |race_mirialan|mentor_aknaross.myotis| padawans_serris.k'ral/oberon.pentari/voth.ahkrin|
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Alkur Tekeil wrote:I shall use the warcry:

TOGGLEABLE!
Agreed. Call me whatever you will, but the idea of hopefuls running around doing cartwheels is not a happy thought, that no number of spoonfuls of sugar can help.

Pros: Makes melee and gun-wielders harder to hit, adds more depth to those styles of combat and puts them 'on the level' acrobatically with Jedi.

Cons: This is strictly a JEDI thing, not an overall mod thing, but I would hope to see hopefuls (and at times, members) here focusing more on their RP, rather than their hand-to-hand combat. This does not help that.

Elrehka Quena
Lost One

Re: Melee Cartwheel?

Post by Elrehka Quena »

Baelin Raddyx wrote:Ok....cartwheels don't need any special talent in the Force to use.
Whilst this is true, when cartwheeling in JKA it isn't really a proper cartwheel if I'm not mistaken. Really it's a fancy flip to the side that looks like a cartwheel. Whereas a real cartwheel requires hands - right?

So wouldn't a new animation where the hands touch the floor be necessary? Because the way the cartwheel is done in the game must require the force to use because being able to do a flip like that without hands would be very difficult to do. But please correct me if I'm wrong. :)
Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

Perhaps you are unaware, but the stupid jumping absurd cartwheel is very different from the other cartwheel animation in the game that kyle npcs and a few other npcs use that is more of a roundoff-looking technique that doesn't leave the ground but side-strafes quickly. I'd be more in favor of that animation than the split-legged aerial layout nonsense.
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

On the animation side of things, I've experimented with a cartwheel /em type move and it did not work out so well. So obviously to me, a melee cartwheel animation has to be integrated into the mode itself. I'm not quite sure how to 'add' in such animations to melee with certain key combinations but I'm sure it's possible to do.

As for concerns of abuse, perhaps make it available only at Jump 1+

Or maybe we can trust in people a little more. If someone abuses it they will be talked to quite firmly at least on my part, I assure you.

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

Elrehka Quena wrote:So wouldn't a new animation where the hands touch the floor be necessary? Because the way the cartwheel is done in the game must require the force to use because being able to do a flip like that without hands would be very difficult to do. But please correct me if I'm wrong. :)
It actually depends on the person that's performing the cartwheel. I've had many friends in life that were able to do it without using their hands, their hand may move towards the ground a little, but won't touch, it's more for IF they fell. But it is doable to do it without your hands, if you know how, all it takes is enough momentum in a jump and move those legs quickly. (:
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Baelin Raddyx
Lost One

Post by Baelin Raddyx »

Elrehka Quena wrote:
Baelin Raddyx wrote:Ok....cartwheels don't need any special talent in the Force to use.
Whilst this is true, when cartwheeling in JKA it isn't really a proper cartwheel if I'm not mistaken. Really it's a fancy flip to the side that looks like a cartwheel. Whereas a real cartwheel requires hands - right?

So wouldn't a new animation where the hands touch the floor be necessary? Because the way the cartwheel is done in the game must require the force to use because being able to do a flip like that without hands would be very difficult to do. But please correct me if I'm wrong. :)
While you're correct in that sense, you speak of game mechanics when you talk of it not being an actual cartwheel. IC we see it as a cartwheel. The animation itself is pure crud, there is no propelling oneself off the ground at all, It really doesn't even make sense;I don't know why it's inclueded-but we roll with what we have. Now if it were possible to integrate a new more realistic animation, I'd be in favor of modding both cartwheels to a more realistic one.
| age_22 | height_2.6m | weight_125kg | race_human | mentor_simus.cnydaria
Mazik Darza

Post by Mazik Darza »

I found a decent cartwheel (yes an actual Cartwheel where the hands to go the ground etc.) animation while i was looking through the RPmod animations in modview.
Click sig for model - Minor Update (Reduced clipping) August 31st
|Age:15|Species:Unidentified|Homeworld:Kirrek|
Phillip Braden

Post by Phillip Braden »

Rolling with guns I 100% support, but I think if you have no jump level and you try to cartwheel, you actually cartwheel, Honestly I cannot imagine hopefuls such as myself (PLUS I LOVE TO CARTWHEEL) is very unrealistic, people can cartwheel spam which I've noticed when I play on FFA servers which can be offputting if done excessively, but I support that 50%.

That is all from me till I find a reason to say anything else =D.