Saber Styles

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Michael Lorus

Saber Styles

Post by Michael Lorus »

I'm not sure if it is possible for the mod to add different saber styles than the basic jka ones, there are seven forms of lightsaber combat each with it's own unique characteristics. The forms are as follows.

Form I: Schii-Cho
Form II: Makashi
Form III: Soresu
Form IV: Ataru
Form V: Shien / Djem So
Form VI: Niman
Form VII: Juyo / Vaapad

If there can be anything added or remade on saber combat, it could be great. Cause it adds a slight taste of diversity in the combat RP and it's is very realistic.

Cause other than that there are the basic jka styles, blue, yellow and red, plus two special ones Tavion and Desann.

What do you think ?
"Till the roof comes down, till the lights go out, till my legs fall off, till my bones collapse, I won't give up." - Michael.
Skin:http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/J ... PLUS;81915
Race:Human
Garik Kelzim

Post by Garik Kelzim »

I think there's a mod who has done it, not sure though. And if it's possible it would certainly be a + to the realism.

/Support
Name: Garik Kelzim| Species: Miraluka| Initiated: 276.24| Masters: Tomoran Serevarno
"Five naps a day keep A-48 away!"
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

I wholly disagree - the Forms were always more about philosophy and approach than about specific technique. To force specific styles for the Forms would make them far less effective individually - you can practice the vast majority of the Forms using any style (Fast, Balanced, Strong), so personally, I'd prefer the system left as it is at present: all styles available, with the Forms being an RP preference, not one built into the mod itself.

That noted, the availability of more styles is always welcome, as long as they're balanced and not carrying insane damage modifiers, such as the Desann style does.
Dixo Xan
Lost One

Post by Dixo Xan »

Another ill-devised suggesion. If I remember correctly Soh wants to keep RMOD server sided, or something like that, meaning you don't HAVE to have RPMOD in order to join a server running it. Adding seven stances would probably violate that. Anyways, the NJO used the three stances (light/medium/heavy) as we know them from jk2/JKA, which we as well do.

At the current most JEDI members are trained in one of the seven forms, with the interpetation of which-is-what being very individual. I am in honesty opposed to this, as well, one man's makashi is another dude's Ataru. As I see it Jedi of our era would learn the three stances, sometimes developing them further into one of the seven forms. Thats just my thoughts.

I've played a mod that allows you to use all seven forms, and while its fun for the first five minutes it gets boring fast. Remember that lucasarts had many developers and spent alot of time to balance the current system out. While there are many good player mods you will find that those altering the game mechanics most often are sub-pair with the original product. Playermade mods are usually fun for a day or two, then you start realising its limitations and weaknesses compared to base JKA. I find RPmod to be a rare exception because Soh has only made very minor alterations to the saber system, whilst improving and developing force powers, etc.

There's been thousand suggestions no altering the saber system, and while the idea is interesting I remain skeptical to Soh's ability (rather willingness, and time - I imagine it would be very time consuming) to alter it, making it stand up to base JKA. As such I will *always' be the first person on the barricades, fighting suggestions regarding alteration to the saber system.
Michael Lorus

Post by Michael Lorus »

Well from that point of view you may be right, we should keep the mod on server ,so that anyone who doesn't have it can enter, that way we keep recruitment up and working. I didn't know that saber style moddifications violate and make that impossible. It was just a suggestion ! I'll see what other suggestions I can find .
"Till the roof comes down, till the lights go out, till my legs fall off, till my bones collapse, I won't give up." - Michael.
Fane Ornn'ila
Lost One

Post by Fane Ornn'ila »

I remember a saber pack that had specific opening stances per saber that made them look like certain forms but, for the rest I agree with Aslyn.

Fane Ornn'ila - Jedi Knight
¦ Mentor: Kaelen Sekura ¦

Sasha Raven
Lost One

Post by Sasha Raven »

I agree with Aslyn.
|height_5.11ft.|race_human| mentor_corinth.alkorda|Skin : http://www.gamefront.com/files/24280582/Sasha.zip
Phillip Braden

Re: Saber Styles

Post by Phillip Braden »

Severus wrote:I'm not sure if it is possible for the mod to add different saber styles than the basic jka ones, there are seven forms of lightsaber combat each with it's own unique characteristics. The forms are as follows.

If there can be anything added or remade on saber combat, it could be great. Cause it adds a slight taste of diversity in the combat RP and it's is very realistic.

Cause other than that there are the basic jka styles, blue, yellow and red, plus two special ones Tavion and Desann.

What do you think ?
Garik you are right, OJP uses this sort of thing, I think this was suggested before.
Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

Well, I understand it'd be cool and such, but the mod's not intended to change the base JKA combat system, as far as I know.
|age_48|height_1.72m|weight_64kg |race_mirialan|mentor_aknaross.myotis| padawans_serris.k'ral/oberon.pentari/voth.ahkrin|
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

I agree with Aslyn and Dixo.

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Phillip Braden

Post by Phillip Braden »

It would take alot of implimenting and tweaking to set up the stances alone plus add animations for each stance and standing positions when in each stance.
Imil C. Ucindus
Lost One

Re: Saber Styles

Post by Imil C. Ucindus »

Phillip Braden wrote:
Severus wrote:I'm not sure if it is possible for the mod to add different saber styles than the basic jka ones, there are seven forms of lightsaber combat each with it's own unique characteristics. The forms are as follows.

What do you think ?
Garik you are right, OJP uses this sort of thing, I think this was suggested before.
OJP is amazing. Only thing is it sucks against blasters and most other weaponry so it would really bomb in JEDI. If it was HUGELY modified I bet even the longtime members would agree to implement the mod. I was hooked on OJP for about a year. I love it. BUt trust me once/if you get into JEDI one of your least concerns will be the combat, and you'll understand where Dixo and Aslyn are coming from.
I believe in myself. Do you believe in me?
Michael Lorus

Post by Michael Lorus »

Well if not new saber styles , how about some saber stances ? As in if you press gloat or taunt you get into a saber stance.

For example like Obi-Wan in Revenge of the sith when he dueled General Grievous he got into a stance before he engaged.

Here's a photo : Image
Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

It's possible to change your idle stance through the .sab when you get your own saber.

I don't think the mod needs to support this.

/t-down
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Phillip Braden

Post by Phillip Braden »

Severus wrote:Well if not new saber styles , how about some saber stances ? As in if you press gloat or taunt you get into a saber stance.

For example like Obi-Wan in Revenge of the sith when he dueled General Grievous he got into a stance before he engaged.

Here's a photo : Image
Thats how Juyo looks on OJP, Shii-cho looks like red, Djem so like red but slightly lower, Soresu as blue, Niman/staff as staff, Ataru/Duals as duals Makashi like dooku holds his blade out infront of him.