Overheats

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Arendur
Lost One

Overheats

Post by Arendur »

I think a toggleable (of course) variable for weapon overheating would be a good addition for use in firefight simulations and missions. This would prevent people from holding down that awesome fire button on the repeater or E-11. Granted it's a little bit of a balancing (what's overheat number and how fast does it cool down and how much does each shot heat it) issue and a logical argument against it is "people could just roleplay it" are there. But we all know from experience that sometimes we just hold down a 'bit' too much when we shouldn't, a variable would enforce this.
| Someone should make me a cool signature | Clothes welcome too |
Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

I wish that the weapon aim were dependant on movement so that you can't sprint around firing at full accuracy but 'ey what can you do with this kind of engine.

I'd support an overheat, though.
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
dannywitkovski

Post by dannywitkovski »

I have seen 'overheat' work perfectly fine in OJP.

If you fire rapidly, run while firing, your crosshair and screen start to shake, and your shots gets more random etc. In other words it makes you fire short bursts to be precise.
| Name: Mateus Mos'aar | Age: 9 | Gender: Male | Species: Nagai | Mateus Mos'aar Skin, Click to download!
Imil C. Ucindus
Lost One

Post by Imil C. Ucindus »

dannywitkovski wrote:I have seen 'overheat' work perfectly fine in OJP.

If you fire rapidly, run while firing, your crosshair and screen start to shake, and your shots gets more random etc. In other words it makes you fire short bursts to be precise.
Very true.
I believe in myself. Do you believe in me?
Sasha Raven
Lost One

Post by Sasha Raven »

This could be a great addition if done right. Again make it a toggle-able thing so that we can have the best of both worlds, but if that's the case then I support.
|height_5.11ft.|race_human| mentor_corinth.alkorda|Skin : http://www.gamefront.com/files/24280582/Sasha.zip
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

I support this. Good thinking
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Roan Takk
Lost One

Post by Roan Takk »

Arendur wrote:a logical argument against it is "people could just roleplay it" are there. But we all know from experience that sometimes we just hold down a 'bit' too much when we shouldn't, a variable would enforce this.
I completely agree with Initiate Arendur on this. We've always pushed for people to roleplay missions properly, but time and time again it just doesn't happen. This would force it to happen, or at least be a good step in the right direction.

Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

Sasha Raven wrote:This could be a great addition if done right. Again make it a toggle-able thing so that we can have the best of both worlds, but if that's the case then I support.
If it had toggle capacity, folks who run around with guns and this option turned off (present base accuracy) would be more likely to score more kills, than folks with the option turned on (movement/fire rate affected accuracy).

I hate to be the "Abuse" Nazi on this one, but there is ALWAYS one guy who wants to one-up everyone else, no matter what.
Arendur
Lost One

Post by Arendur »

The toggle would be server side of course, not client. That would ruin the entire point.
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

Have to agree with Evan on this one.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
dannywitkovski

Post by dannywitkovski »

But I think its a harder thing to implement to this Mod. As OJP has some different features.

For example OJP has three bars, green bar=Dodge points, blue bar= Force points and Balance meter. And for this thing to work you will need the last one, the balance meter. As you fire if running or you are using some lower level guns the meter fills up and your shots get more random, so even if you are epic precise on your target, you will probably not hit it.

But I think also its too much work for the programmers. Because you need to set up amount of mishap[The thing that fills the balance meter] for every gun level, because you cannot have an experienced gunner shake like some Initiate who is first time holding his gun. Then you need to set up amount of mishap you gain when walking, then running, then jumping, then when firing a large burst of blaster fire etc.
| Name: Mateus Mos'aar | Age: 9 | Gender: Male | Species: Nagai | Mateus Mos'aar Skin, Click to download!
Caleb Quintilian
Lost One

Post by Caleb Quintilian »

The game already contains variable for "cone of fire"ish accuracy, floats that can be swapped on the fly so this is definitely possible! I can already think of some algorithms for this solution.

It's a good idea, don't give up on it because it's "too hard", because with how the game operates it's actually quite simple!

-Andrew
Eugen Darkrider
Lost One

Post by Eugen Darkrider »

dannywitkovski wrote:But I think also its too much work for the programmers. Because you need to set up amount of mishap[The thing that fills the balance meter] for every gun level, because you cannot have an experienced gunner shake like some Initiate who is first time holding his gun. Then you need to set up amount of mishap you gain when walking, then running, then jumping, then when firing a large burst of blaster fire etc.
Well. I am not a moder/programmer/scripter or anything. But.. Was thinking.. The original idea is great. So in order to make it.. togle-able. So to say... I have this:
In missions troopers and everyone have a different account. That being said. Here is my opinion.

IF possible make another set of 'force allocation points' But consisting of weapons.
Example:
-Blasters:5|15|25.
-Rifles:10|20|30.
-Heavy:15|25|40.

Three tiers. Blasters would consist in the E-11 and the two blaster pistols..
Rifles.. Disruptor and Bowcaster.
Heavy: Rocket launcher.. repeater.. Stuff like that.

Now. Even without points allocated in one of those tiers you can still use one of those. BUT the accuracy.. Is way worse.
Which means.

-Current setup:
Alt Fire on the Blaster Pistol->Aimed at the head of the target->Twenty miles away->Headshot, Insta Kill.
-Point Setup:
(NO POINTS)Alt Fire on Blaster Pistol->Aimed at the enemy->Twenty feet away->Can aswell miss the target.

I suppose my idea is pretty clear? Hmm?

And I believe its been said something like this somewhere.

So yea Basically.

Another Window for weapons.
XP points can be allocated at the weapons.
Less XP at a particular weapon. OR a set of weapons the worse accuracy you have.
More XP at a particular weapon/set. more accuracy you have.

Once again. Not sure how this goes with the scripting so this was only my two cents.

-Peace.Eugen.

On a side note
/Support original idea as well
Masters: Nira'kalen'nuruodo | Iverian Prey | Aslyn Denethorn
Arendur
Lost One

Post by Arendur »

That's a nice system Eugen. Even having an extra account variable like 'weapon proficiency' as an 'overall' number to use as a variable in the random misalignment (mishap as it was mentioned).
Tyren Nayrus
Lost One

Post by Tyren Nayrus »

This is getting very Kotor-ish. I like it!
Name: Tyren Nayrus | Species: Zeltron | Age: 11 | Mentor(s): None |
Skin Link