Cloaking Device

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Kenta
Lost One

Cloaking Device

Post by Kenta »

Is it possible to make the cloaking device actually make you completely disappear rather than turn you into a magnified warped transparent blob everyone can still see? Those who see it all know how difficult it is not to shoot at it though we know technically they're supposed to be invisible at the time.
RP Age: 126 Next Birthday: 371.1
Stupid is a disease spreading at an alarming rate. - Kenta
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

Support.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Zeak Dystiny
Lost One

Post by Zeak Dystiny »

Well to be honest, there is supposed to be a weakness of cloak, and that represents it, even though we ignore it half the time. It's not a total invisibility thing. It shimmers and in certain areas or situations, you can easily notice the difference in lighting or a certain distortion. Think it should stay, especially for those who finally choose and have a legit reason to notice someone who is cloaked.

"Is all that sales-babble in your brochure? Because I think I'm going to puke. Perhaps you'd like me to leverage your synergy with my vibroblade."
Xfire: Whenlightfades

Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

True, but it's a too noticeable in my opinion. At the least it should be made harder to spot. It sort of defeats the purpose of a cloaking device it they're still easy to fine..
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

Well, if Kenta cloaked and say... I did, I'd expect you all to shoot me, rather than shoot kenta, for example. So if the cloaking device could have levels... sure, but otherwise, we can simply rp it properly. :)
|age_48|height_1.72m|weight_64kg |race_mirialan|mentor_aknaross.myotis| padawans_serris.k'ral/oberon.pentari/voth.ahkrin|
Zeak Dystiny
Lost One

Post by Zeak Dystiny »

Hmm well from a distance/medium range, you won't really see it unless you keep a good eye out. People can usually get by. Just think some sort of effect should still remain, but not essentially 'amghost' people, as the JA+ calls it, not sure if Rpmod has it enabled.

"Is all that sales-babble in your brochure? Because I think I'm going to puke. Perhaps you'd like me to leverage your synergy with my vibroblade."
Xfire: Whenlightfades

Caleb Quintilian
Lost One

Post by Caleb Quintilian »

From a distance the cloaking device seems to be the most noticeable thing due to its effect of warping the terrain behind it.
Olim Adasca
Lost One

Post by Olim Adasca »

Perhaps there's a way to change the warping offset in the cloaking coding?
Olim Adasca || Age: 33 || Species: Arkanian || Height: 1.86 m || Weight: 106.7 kg || Initiated: 274.28 ABY || Homeworld: Arkania || Birthdate: 268.20 || Mentors : Sebastin Creed 279.29 - 296.28 || Retired: 302.13 ABY
"Never give up, never surrender."
"Before all else, your duty to others."
"Always make your own drinks."
Azrael
Lost One

Post by Azrael »

Simple solution - Predator style. The distortion ONLY appears when you're moving. IF you're stationary then you're completely invisible.
|Species: Chiss | Homeworld: Coruscant | Mentors: Aeon Xarbon, Shimi Zaki | Padawans: Imil Ucindus, Kiwron Tirladdik, Munro Olar, Shakk'aven |Position:Jedi Master - Historian/Librarian
Rash Loist
Lost One

Post by Rash Loist »

Azrael wrote:Simple solution - Predator style. The distortion ONLY appears when you're moving. IF you're stationary then you're completely invisible.

That and please for the love of god make the timer on the cloak either a LOT longer or just make it so it's either on or off.
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

Agreed with Azra and Rash.
Mazik Darza

Post by Mazik Darza »

Azrael wrote:Simple solution - Predator style. The distortion ONLY appears when you're moving. IF you're stationary then you're completely invisible.
Suppport
Click sig for model - Minor Update (Reduced clipping) August 31st
|Age:15|Species:Unidentified|Homeworld:Kirrek|
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

I like the 'distorted while moving' idea if it's implementable. Also keep in mind that the cloaking device was originally designed with the idea that players would be moving a lot more than we do. (FFA, CTF, ect.)

Roan Takk
Lost One

Post by Roan Takk »

My first instinct was to disagree with this idea because it seems completely unrealistic. Using the Force to disappear completely is acceptable, but using a machine to accomplish that? There are lots of advanced things in the Star Wars universe, but a good sense of "reality" is still felt. Having a machine that is capable of completely erasing someone from sight seems a bit far-fetched, or at least far too expensive for just any old Jedi to be carrying around.

However, I like the idea of it working when you're still, and having the distortion when moving. That seems much more feasible and realistic, plus, I also hate the distortion thing. It may be realistic, but it still ruins the point. I'm all for the "predator style" initiative.

Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

As I recall, functional cloaking devices in the Star Wars Universe were two-way - they prevented anyone outside the device from seeing you, but they also prevented the person inside the device from seeing them - Star Destroyers were left bereft of their sensors, unable to see beyond the reach of the device, for example, as demonstrated in Spectre of the Past, and mentioned prior to that in the Thrawn Trilogy. As it is, we're lucky to have any kind of functional stealth device.