Automatic Skin Updates

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Automatic Skin Updates

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Simple enough idea. Is it possible? Have the server send a 'getmodel' request every 5-10 seconds and re-route that information to the clients, as opposed to the 'tab update' that the client currently has to do?

Sent from my Datapad

Phillip Braden

Post by Phillip Braden »

If you mean have it change models without you having to press tab, thats already do-able, just set 'Defer player models' to the 'off' setting and whenever someone changes a model it updates it for you automatically so you can see the change without the use of Tab or having to die.

Defer player models: load playermodels after death.

Setting this to off does the trick.
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Can some times cause problems though I believe for others when there is a few skin changes happening at the same time I believe.

Not sure though, but there is an option in the set up section as Philly said.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Phillip Braden

Post by Phillip Braden »

Sebastin Creed wrote:Can some times cause problems though I believe for others when there is a few skin changes happening at the same time I believe.

Not sure though, but there is an option in the set up section as Philly said.
I know that when a few people change at once possibly it can cause a momentary pause where the game becomes unresponsive for 10 seconds, it's worse when you press tab everytime as it can last for 30 seconds sometimes..

Oh and Never call me Philly again, thank you Sebastin xD
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Sorry Philidelphea,

But yeah, either way - your going to get a slightly hiccup which ever you select. I just think its better to tab once every so often to have the skin change put into place.

Just depends reallys.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Phillip Braden

Post by Phillip Braden »

Sebastin Creed wrote:Sorry Philidelphea
When I saw that I facepalmed and though 'Must slap Seb for that, wheres my glove and brick' joking but seriously stop the name calling xD
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Ok, no more.

I promise Philipena!

Anyways, back on topic :wink: Not sure if this can even be resolved so meh, may as well leave it as it is. Simply RP it.

Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

The suggestion about defer models was correct. The lag when many players are loading skins with large choice menus is unavoidable.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Phillip Braden

Post by Phillip Braden »

I'm glad I was curious about what it did one day, I set it to off and then someone said 'TAB' and I looked and just as I went to press tab I noticed the change.

Now I share this knowledge with everyone here! :lol:
Ruluk
Lost One

Post by Ruluk »

I always have defer to off. I prefer to see the models as they are meant to be at the time, and the lag for me is not that big, so I don't care about it.

Keep in mind that, if you leave defer models to ON, the player models will still change, the difference being that they'll instead show the first preloaded skin after you connected (usually the first player to connect on the server). Hence you sometimes get 10 Ruluks, Phillips, and so on...

Jedi Padawan | Birth 275.08 | Initiation 280.31 | Master Fane Ornn'ila

Let's celebrate cause I've been with you guys for a RL year already! :D (not necessarily active all the time, but still!)
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

What's the exact command for this..?
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Ruluk
Lost One

Post by Ruluk »

Menu --> Setup --> game options --> Force defer player models

Jedi Padawan | Birth 275.08 | Initiation 280.31 | Master Fane Ornn'ila

Let's celebrate cause I've been with you guys for a RL year already! :D (not necessarily active all the time, but still!)
Phillip Braden

Post by Phillip Braden »

There isn't one.....bring up the IG options, Setup and look for 'Defer player models', then change it from 'ON' to 'OFF'.
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

If you prefer a "command", you can set the "cg_deferPlayers" Cvar to 0 or 1.
Phillip Braden

Post by Phillip Braden »

Soh Raun wrote:If you prefer a "command", you can set the "cg_deferPlayers" Cvar to 0 or 1.
I was sure there was a command I just couldn't put my finger on it, thank you for correcting me Soh!