Class Balance (Proposal 3 Page 10, Updated 288.22)

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

Alkur Tekeil wrote:I understand the necessity for balancing the different classes for the sake of game mechanics. But when a player is only focusing on how much HP/Shields, Force energy, regen and what powers they have access to at what levels, I question why they're here.

I don't believe that is the case with JEDI, or where this suggestion is coming from. But I would like to point out we don't have a team of developers working on the mod, as if it is some MMORPG.

There's been suggestions that completely do away with classes (the species system, the assets and burdens system).
I just don't think anyone wants to deal with the sheer numbers and the progression of levels and balance them out.

But frankly, I don't believe there is a way to balance the class system and maintain a balanced game play.
The whole point of this post is to suggest that I am willing to help with the balance, of classes, force powers, weapon mechanics, etc.

Whether or not one wants to find personal merit in the notion of game balance, the fact remains that we are on a game, playing a game, and this game has numbers that denote how much health we have, what our shield capacity is, how much force energy we can use and how fast it regenerates. The fact that you can roleplay around such restrictions does not make them go away.

And going so far as to suggest that anybody who does worry about these numbers is here for the wrong reasons is disingenuous in that it doesn't address the original point of the argument and it is also an attack on the person who makes the argument.

Using this particular line of thinking, we could dismiss the entire idea of RPMod as "something that would take a lot of work" in addition to being something that we could "roleplay around" and "anybody who worried about what mod we were using was probably here for the wrong reasons" or - OR - someone can offer to work on this issue and you can just say, "Sure, it could use some work" or "No, I think it's balanced the way it is" and not "This is not important."
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Cynthia
Lost One

Post by Cynthia »

Actually, I would prefer to completely do away with the classes system and give people almost like a different form of xp to buy to ability to get powers and to buy hp each time you level up.

But I take it that people like to classes system.
Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

Tomoran wrote:And going so far as to suggest that anybody who does worry about these numbers is here for the wrong reasons is disingenuous in that it doesn't address the original point of the argument and it is also an attack on the person who makes the argument.
I think you need to chill..

As for the suggestion, I don't know.. If I was more inclined to spar all day then, perhaps. I hated it when it was first suggested but as time goes on, the species idea sounds more and more appealing to me. Guardian/Sentinel/Consular should be tossed in favour of just one rank called, Jedi I.M.O. Everything else should be RP'd.

Again, this is a JEDI suggestion more than an RPMod suggestion on my part. Soo /shrug-to-the-idea.

| Age_50's | Race_Human | Padawan_Zeak Dystiny, Des Anaro, Zuri Lyn |

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

There are approximately 20 species being used by JEDI members. I think a species system might end up being inadvertently complex. Not only that, but some species 'traits' seem difficult to induce into a mechanics standpoint. Maybe logfiles that give general information about these species as a helpful reminder of roleplaying those races, but I don't see how to implement, in an RPMod-oriented way, the notion that a species can't see in the dark versus one that is exceptionally nimble getting some kind of ... movespeed bonus? We're kind of limited in the kinds of stats we can change.

In a 'species' system, I would think there'd be more of a merits/flaw system. Anyway, I am going to come up with several proposals in light of the different beliefs that could be made as an approach.

I find the overwhelming apathy to be kind of meh.
Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

Our disinclination to start a verbal war on this matter does not necessarily arise from apathy. The entire point of this thread is to simply suggest, not demand changes, and by extension, demand support for these changes in some form of 'rally to arms'.

I'd like a change, and I'd also like this thread's tone to dial down... -.-
|age_48|height_1.72m|weight_64kg |race_mirialan|mentor_aknaross.myotis| padawans_serris.k'ral/oberon.pentari/voth.ahkrin|
Baelin Raddyx
Lost One

Post by Baelin Raddyx »

Remember, we
eachother!!!!

If the system could be evened out, it would be great to see. Species system could get real messy, that's best rpd out in my opinion.
| age_22 | height_2.6m | weight_125kg | race_human | mentor_simus.cnydaria
Simus Cnydaria
Lost One

Post by Simus Cnydaria »

Baelin Raddyx wrote:

Remember, we
eachother!!!!

If the system could be evened out, it would be great to see. Species system could get real messy, that's best rpd out in my opinion.
Zeak Dystiny
Lost One

Post by Zeak Dystiny »

Zeak Dystiny wrote:There is one way, I think. Ditch the HP/Shield difference and possibly the Force difference, then have the classes based solely on what powers one gets opened to them and at what levels. While this happens your hp/shield will all increase at the same rate as others. From there you could also debate how much Force and the regen each side gets - more Force for Guardians to resemble extra stamina, less regen, or the other way around, while Consular gets the opposite.
Well would this work, at all?

"Is all that sales-babble in your brochure? Because I think I'm going to puke. Perhaps you'd like me to leverage your synergy with my vibroblade."
Xfire: Whenlightfades

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

Not if the system remains the same, since using most powers 'freezes' your regen. I have 190 Force Pool and 1 ms force regen, but the second I use Sense it drops to 170 and doesn't go up a pinch until I turn it off, other powers drain it as they normally would.
Cynthia
Lost One

Post by Cynthia »

I disagree with Zeaks suggestion. and what I suggested earlier was NOT a species system. Like let's say you just leveled up. You get a certain number of points to upgrade which powers are avaliable and if you want more Hp or FP. Then we choose what we apply by if we are more consular oriented or guardian.
Imil C. Ucindus
Lost One

Post by Imil C. Ucindus »

Cynthia wrote:I dislike this current system. I do not see why anybody would go consular for OOC reasons because consulars get all of the force powers later then sentinel and the force pools and regen are too similar. I think the Guardians are fine, but I think the consulars should be able to unlock force powers earlier, and larger pools for higher levels.
Ask a Gaurdian what it's like to hardly able to use force powers in succession. You gotta know how it is to be able to comment correctly on it, sir.
I believe in myself. Do you believe in me?
Cynthia
Lost One

Post by Cynthia »

Imil C. Ucindus wrote:
Cynthia wrote:I dislike this current system. I do not see why anybody would go consular for OOC reasons because consulars get all of the force powers later then sentinel and the force pools and regen are too similar. I think the Guardians are fine, but I think the consulars should be able to unlock force powers earlier, and larger pools for higher levels.
Ask a Gaurdian what it's like to hardly able to use force powers in succession. You gotta know how it is to be able to comment correctly on it, sir.
I have no idea what your talking about. This would not inhibit guardians from using the force powers.
Imil C. Ucindus
Lost One

Alkur Tekeil wrote:
But frankly, I don't believe there is a way to balance the class system and maintain a balanced game play.
I strongly disagree. How could making these Unique changes for RP have a negative impact on Gaming experience?
Imil C. Ucindus
Lost One

Cynthia wrote:Actually, I would prefer to completely do away with the classes system and give people almost like a different form of xp to buy to ability to get powers and to buy hp each time you level up.

But I take it that people like to classes system.
I actually like that Idea. Masters could supervise this. If a nice amount of physical training is done or your character has natural healing abilities then it can be tweaked to fit each individual.

I think alot of people act weird when they see such suggestions because they think people will try and make their character uber or something.
Olim Adasca
Lost One

Post by Olim Adasca »

Do not change what worked until we unleashed maths on it? No offense against you, Tomoran
Olim Adasca || Age: 33 || Species: Arkanian || Height: 1.86 m || Weight: 106.7 kg || Initiated: 274.28 ABY || Homeworld: Arkania || Birthdate: 268.20 || Mentors : Sebastin Creed 279.29 - 296.28 || Retired: 302.13 ABY
"Never give up, never surrender."
"Before all else, your duty to others."
"Always make your own drinks."