A Challenge and Suggestion To Each of You

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Iverian Prey

A Challenge and Suggestion To Each of You

Post by Iverian Prey »

Roleplay:

"Hey, did you hear how that other place has better and cooler animations and stuff then we do?"

"Yeah, i looked at it. Really cool stuff!"

"We should check it out..............."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My challenge:

I challenge and suggest each member here find one area they can begin learning about to help improve JEDI.

Whether it be:

Mapping

Animations

Lightsabers

Skinning

Weighting

etc

These things are not "Too difficult" to do if given the time. Our clan is blessed to have members with talent in each field, and they are for the most part, eager to have others help them.

The more people that can do it, actually, the more stuff that will get done/improve.

Remember, if they can do it elsewhere, we can do it here and better if we try.

PS: Imagine if instead of just having a "Skin" team, we had a team for each one of these areas. We have the membership for that...
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

[img]http://www.zedia.net/wp-content/uploads ... Button.gif" width="230px">

I most definitely must agree with this. Aurien came to Delmi and myself about the JEDI Skin Project team, asking if we wanted to help in starting it given the fact that we are both modelers here and he is a talented skinner. We then opened it to others who wish to participate.

Aurien and I have actually talked about changing it from a "Skin Project" team to just a Designing team, so that it can better include Mappers, lightsaber modelers, animation creators, anything and everything. I feel this will help greatly bring things here.

I am not entirely sure who all here is a person to work with animations, but I personally would try if I could if I had the time. However, between College, Role Playing, modeling and doing skinning parts myself, I cannot personally find the time to work on learning it myself..
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Skinning and Modelling players and lightsabers are commendable, perhaps even mapping though I don't feel it's as required for what JEDI needs.

By this I mean we have Kaelen/Sai working on a temple map which is not something that should change frequently.
As for mission maps, one has to realise the amount of time that mapping requires and balance that with the idea that a Mission map is used once. Maybe twice.

As for Animations, the JEDI community has been barking for more RPmod animations for over 2 years. I remember making 2 threads myself requesting more sitting animations and "death" animations and these actually exist in JKA already.

The problem is, whether the community learns to make animations or not, it's down to Soh to decide on animations. Not us.

I don't want to sound discouraging of course! I'm just saying:
Skinning, Modelling, Mapping (maybe) = Go for it!
Animating = Don't waste too much time or if you are, speak with Soh about it before you do.

Beyond that, i'd like to see a dedicated Role Play team consisting of the whole clan. That would benefit JEDI greatly!

Humble opinion as always,

-Vantus

Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

I do too much skinning as it is, so nope, not gonna go learning to map or model any time soon. Besides, frankly, we could do without amateur skinning - usually ends up that you forget to take out the .psd's or don't bother compressing the files, or simply use a normal brush instead of using a colour overlay, or even put a ton of junk coding in the .skin because you don't know how to write them, and so on.

I'd honestly rather be burdened down with a ton of skinning work to do than see everyone with a copy of MS Paint and the knowledge of how to make a .zip try their hand at something that is actually as much an art than anything else.

Best way everyone can serve the clan is roleplay. We've got a fair few good modellers and skinners now, and frankly, I think I'm happier with that than with an army of us. We're already well on top of the recent workload for the Jedi Skinning Project (which I think we're planning to rename to JDP anyway), so I wouldn't say it's necessary for everyone to take a shot. Save yourself some time and hit the server instead of spending hours with Photoshop.
Kiwron Tirladdik
Lost One

Post by Kiwron Tirladdik »

Vantus wrote:Beyond that, i'd like to see a dedicated Role Play team consisting of the whole clan. That would benefit JEDI greatly!
Aslyn wrote:Best way everyone can serve the clan is roleplay.
(A thumb pointing upward)
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

I agree with the idea that it would be cool to have some little extras coming around but there is one thing that keeps being brought up.

'Them'.

We should remember that all that work and suggestions were coming from everyone, before 'they' took what wasn't theirs and what was theirs and split.

Eventually we will get more emotes and if we are really good, more custom ones of our own that won't be stole from us.

Though for now, like the posts that area about I think we can stick with ::Action:: a little while longer.

If however you wish to learn stuff like this, I guess the Project team is the perfect place to learn the trade. I'd love to skin one day, but at the moment I am SSSOOOO JK2 I have to rely on the experts for now. :roll:

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

I'm all for encouraging the technical side of JEDI, after all, we would not be where we are in role playing if it weren't for the maps, skins and sabers we've come to use.

But to do so with the intention and motivation of asserting our superiority over the schism group, in order to attract more members? I'm sorry, but that is fundamentally wrong.
Olim Adasca
Lost One

Post by Olim Adasca »

Rather preventing an train of people leaving :/
Olim Adasca || Age: 33 || Species: Arkanian || Height: 1.86 m || Weight: 106.7 kg || Initiated: 274.28 ABY || Homeworld: Arkania || Birthdate: 268.20 || Mentors : Sebastin Creed 279.29 - 296.28 || Retired: 302.13 ABY
"Never give up, never surrender."
"Before all else, your duty to others."
"Always make your own drinks."
Azrael
Lost One

Post by Azrael »

Alkur Tekeil wrote:I'm all for encouraging the technical side of JEDI, after all, we would not be where we are in role playing if it weren't for the maps, skins and sabers we've come to use.

But to do so with the intention and motivation of asserting our superiority over the schism group, in order to attract more members? I'm sorry, but that is fundamentally wrong.
|Species: Chiss | Homeworld: Coruscant | Mentors: Aeon Xarbon, Shimi Zaki | Padawans: Imil Ucindus, Kiwron Tirladdik, Munro Olar, Shakk'aven |Position:Jedi Master - Historian/Librarian
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

Olim Adasca wrote:Rather preventing an train of people leaving :/
I've seen no evidence that indicates that those who have left did so due to the technical achievement of this clan. Further, I haven't heard of anyone contemplating leaving due to the technical achievement of this clan.

If such is the case, I feel that those members who left or will leave are not of suitability for this clan in the first place.
Nastajja Arren
Lost One

Post by Nastajja Arren »

Alkur Tekeil wrote:
Olim Adasca wrote:Rather preventing an train of people leaving :/
I've seen no evidence that indicates that those who have left did so due to the technical achievement of this clan. Further, I haven't heard of anyone contemplating leaving due to the technical achievement of this clan.

If such is the case, I feel that those members who left or will leave are not of suitability for this clan in the first place.
I completely agree. People should be here for the roleplay, not the technical aspect of the game. And if an animation or a graphic doesn't suit certain situations, that's what imagination is used for.

Species: Ryn

Cynthia
Lost One

Post by Cynthia »

People, do not forget,

We are here for the rp!

But yes, I am skinning now.
Aurien Uriah
Lost One

Post by Aurien Uriah »

How about we just have fun and see what happens? Just a thought. A few of us put together a team to contribute to the community and lighten the work load for some so they have time to role play more. Unlike some folks, a few of us have time to work on the technical aspects and still be fairly active on the server. Others don't. That's life.

So don't forget: "WE IZ HERE TO HAZ FUNZ"
"...Yeah, we do need better brand awareness."

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Ruluk
Lost One

Post by Ruluk »

I have not read any post (yet. as I write this post). But as a heads-up. *I* am animating here, for JEDI. If you wish to learn and help, so be it, but please, please, if I'm not asking too much, offer your help to me specifically.

EDIT: I finally read it all.

So, I perfectly and totally agree that the most important thing is rp. The rest can wait and isn't fundamental. Then again, those "gadgets" can enrich a few things here and there.

Now, I want to comment on one thing. Although there are certain things that I suggest you know before getting onto the next field, you must realize that you may be very good at one subject, and not so much in another. For example, I think that if you plan on starting with this without prior knowledge, you should start by learning how to skin. Even if you suck, this gives you the basics on how the game's models work.

Oh, and if you plan on starting with any subject, be it a basic one (skinning, shading? mapping?) or an advanced one (modelling, animations, coding), I'm here to help with all of them.

Jedi Padawan | Birth 275.08 | Initiation 280.31 | Master Fane Ornn'ila

Let's celebrate cause I've been with you guys for a RL year already! :D (not necessarily active all the time, but still!)