Sared's Ten Commandments of Skinning

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Sared's Ten Commandments of Skinning

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Disclaimer: I am guilty of breaking quite a few of these myself. Apparently Tomoran was able to break eighteen of these.

If you think that I'm talking about you, then I probably am. Hopefully you know me well enough not to take it personally. It's all just subjective masochistic editorializing anyway. Lots of love. <3

10. Hoodies

No Jedi in canon wears one. You will be made fun of behind your back for it. If you want to cover your face, use a full robe, or go through the process of designing some decent headgear.

9. Skimpy outfits

No amount of dental floss and pecan shells can excuse this. Jedi are modest at all times; and while the skin may be aesthetically pleasing to look at and may be completely anatomically correct, it has no place in a family-friendly role-playing environment, much less in a Jedi Enclave. This also goes for you shirtless manly men. Save it for the real gym fellas.

8. Clashing colors

This should make a little more sense, but still needs addressing. Contrasting colors are good, and can be done well. (Black and white, red and blue, yellow and pink), but pairing colors that have no place being together (neon pink and brown, any solid color splattered on across the board with no shading or depth difference) is just a poor choice. Along these same lines, using an easily recognized preset (the blue to gold gradient in Photoshop) is unoriginal and lazy. Such presets are easily configurable and can be adjusted to look better with little effort.

7. Race Inconsistencies

Is your chosen race blue? Then be blue. Don't try to be the .001% of your race that's odd-off, or have some genetic anomaly or something in your heritage that has you being red, or having any other physical deviance for some reason. Being different is good. Being different to the point of flying in the face of the rest of the established race is bad.

6. Stealth/Recon/Battle Armor

This is not Call of Duty. This is not a Tom Clancy game. Jedi are not assassins. Jedi Shadows have not existed since the Clone Wars. If a Jedi wants to hide, then they will use the Force to do so. Does it look cool? Maybe. Is a Jedi going to be wearing body armor in their own home? No. At very best canonically, padded jumpsuits were worn by some during the Yuuzhan Vong War, and Obi-Wan wore Clone Trooper armor during the Battle of Muunilinst. That's it.
Dan Thorsland, editor of the Tales of the Jedi comics wrote:You won't see Jedi wearing a lot of armor, and there's a reason for that. So we make sure no one's running around looking like King Arthur from Excalibur. That's not the way of a Jedi.

5. Shaders

This can actually be taken both ways. First, using shaders to make your skin shiny or give it additional depth is good. Very good. Overdoing it (ending up with hair that looks like it was carved out of woood), or using the wrong shader with the wrong light map can ruin it easily. Just as well, *not* using a shader where one would improve the look of the skin (such as leaving a metallic part of the skin matte), then it detracts just as much as it would have added to the overall look of the skin.

4. 'Terran' Fashion

Levis, wonderbra, sports jerseys. These are all things you could expect to see walking through your local mall. Yes, you can fashion a similar design, or take notes from fashions that you may see here on Earth, but this is a fantastical setting with vastly different cultures and influences than our own. Something that is distinctly 'terran' (read, 'earth-like' or 'from the IRL') may be novel for a short while, but breaks immersion easily.

3. Accessories

I'm the first to admit that we are playing dress-up with our dolls, but putting the amount of effort in to animate a screensaver on to your datapad (while notable) is overkill. Accessories serve to reveal more story to our characters. They are not the story of our characters. (Insert Tyler Durden quote here)

2. Scars

Bacta is a miracle medicine. Simple as that. Right now, in our current day and age, we have the technological and chemical understanding of the human body to treat, heal, and cure many diseases and wounds extremely well. In a society as advanced as the setting we play in, that medical and technical understanding is increased ten or a hundred fold. The only reason that one would still have a scar is if they intentionally kept it 'as a reminder'. (And be honest with yourself, after the first twelve people draw a scar across their eye, it gets old.)

1. OOC Humor

Internet memes and jokes have no place in the IC world of JEDI. I will say again that using a particular style or idea as inspiration, and then throwing on a JEDI/Star Wars spin on it is great. Copy pasting a Creeper on to your datapad is not. (In fact it's downright terrifying.)

P.S. If you really are convinced I'm taking the piss out on you, or want clarification, come talk to me. I don't bite. :)

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Well,

Most of this makes sense Sared, but let's be honest, it's not everyones cup of tea. However, I don't think it should be either because one persons ideal Jedi is not anothers.

I mean... you have a robotic eye. I'm not sure what Jedi had one of those, plus I'm a Miraluka - so I have none anyway! Though even if I did, I wouldn't be going all universal soldier with my skin but I wouldn't go out my way to tell you, you shouldn't or have blasphemed for doing so.

The stuff about the colours is pretty straight forward, I mean I am all for experimenting with the skin and expressing through creativity but it obviously *has* to work.

The rest, well that's down to your personal preference buddy but I don't think you, or me for that matter, are in a position to start handing out the do's and do not's in terms of what is acceptable in a skin. Sure, there should be some limitations (decided by the HC) but the rest of this should be left to the member themselves to decide upon.

You know how it goes though, some people will try something and then change their mind later on down the line. That's up to them to make it work or risk ruining their character and having to re-roll a new one to fix an unchangable trait they landed on themselves.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Re: Sared's Ten Commandments of Skinning

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Sared wrote:10. Hoodies

No Jedi in canon wears one. You will be made fun of behind your back for it. If you want to cover your face, use a full robe, or go through the process of designing some decent headgear.

If you are talking about hoods on tunics, I don't see a problem with it really and I think this one can be left up to the individual.

9. Skimpy outfits

No amount of dental floss and pecan shells can excuse this. Jedi are modest at all times; and while the skin may be aesthetically pleasing to look at and may be completely anatomically correct, it has no place in a family-friendly role-playing environment, much less in a Jedi Enclave. This also goes for you shirtless manly men. Save it for the real gym fellas.

There are skimpy outfits within the JKA default skins, again though it's down to the individual and how they make this work. As long as they aren't dancing on pillars and balconys whilst wearing it I think we are pretty safe.

8. Clashing colors

This should make a little more sense, but still needs addressing. Contrasting colors are good, and can be done well. (Black and white, red and blue, yellow and pink), but pairing colors that have no place being together (neon pink and brown, any solid color splattered on across the board with no shading or depth difference) is just a poor choice. Along these same lines, using an easily recognized preset (the blue to gold gradient in Photoshop) is unoriginal and lazy. Such presets are easily configurable and can be adjusted to look better with little effort.

As I stated before, as long as it works! (...Baelin *Points at your 7 different colours*)

7. Race Inconsistencies

Is your chosen race blue? Then be blue. Don't try to be the .001% of your race that's odd-off, or have some genetic anomaly or something in your heritage that has you being red, or having any other physical deviance for some reason. Being different is good. Being different to the point of flying in the face of the rest of the established race is bad.

Agree with this point, you can't be pink because your Chiss father got it on with your Zeltron mother.

6. Stealth/Recon/Battle Armor

This is not Call of Duty. This is not a Tom Clancy game. Jedi are not assassins. Jedi Shadows have not existed since the Clone Wars. If a Jedi wants to hide, then they will use the Force to do so. Does it look cool? Maybe. Is a Jedi going to be wearing body armor in their own home? No. At very best canonically, padded jumpsuits were worn by some during the Yuuzhan Vong War, and Obi-Wan wore Clone Trooper armor during the Battle of Muunilinst. That's it.

I agree Jedi wouldn't really wear armour around the Temple when they are supposed to be training or relaxing (even medieval Knights got changed out their armour when inside the castle walls kids) but I don't see the problem with some small pieces of armour when going on a mission (preferably one you know will involve the need for it) will call for it. If I was walking into a bar or place trying to keep a low profile, the last thing I want is my mission partner clanking noisily behind me.

However, again, I see no problem with armour on an alternative skin. Just don't rely on it heavily.

Dan Thorsland, editor of the Tales of the Jedi comics wrote:You won't see Jedi wearing a lot of armor, and there's a reason for that. So we make sure no one's running around looking like King Arthur from Excalibur. That's not the way of a Jedi.
^ One of many writers?

5. Shaders

This can actually be taken both ways. First, using shaders to make your skin shiny or give it additional depth is good. Very good. Overdoing it (ending up with hair that looks like it was carved out of woood), or using the wrong shader with the wrong light map can ruin it easily. Just as well, *not* using a shader where one would improve the look of the skin (such as leaving a metallic part of the skin matte), then it detracts just as much as it would have added to the overall look of the skin.

Have no clue about this one, not a skinner or a modeller so I will leave this comment to the professionals.

4. 'Terran' Fashion

Levis, wonderbra, sports jerseys. These are all things you could expect to see walking through your local mall. Yes, you can fashion a similar design, or take notes from fashions that you may see here on Earth, but this is a fantastical setting with vastly different cultures and influences than our own. Something that is distinctly 'terran' (read, 'earth-like' or 'from the IRL') may be novel for a short while, but breaks immersion easily.

Agreed, I love some nike sports gear but not enough to suggest someone fashion Sebastin some jogging bottoms for my work out.

3. Accessories

I'm the first to admit that we are playing dress-up with our dolls, but putting the amount of effort in to animate a screensaver on to your datapad (while notable) is overkill. Accessories serve to reveal more story to our characters. They are not the story of our characters. (Insert Tyler Durden quote here)

I think that as long as its within reason (no viking hats!) and modest, and worked into the character - this can be left to the individual.

Do you not agree Jean Claude?

2. Scars

Bacta is a miracle medicine. Simple as that. Right now, in our current day and age, we have the technological and chemical understanding of the human body to treat, heal, and cure many diseases and wounds extremely well. In a society as advanced as the setting we play in, that medical and technical understanding is increased ten or a hundred fold. The only reason that one would still have a scar is if they intentionally kept it 'as a reminder'. (And be honest with yourself, after the first twelve people draw a scar across their eye, it gets old.)

This one is a hard one! I agree though, as soon as one person does it so does the mass thousands... though it's always hard not to step on toes for this so... I would encourage consulting others before doing it.

I also agree with the Bacta, don't just get hit in the face and then leave it because you couldn't fix the scarred tissue - because you can.

1. OOC Humor

Internet memes and jokes have no place in the IC world of JEDI. I will say again that using a particular style or idea as inspiration, and then throwing on a JEDI/Star Wars spin on it is great. Copy pasting a Creeper on to your datapad is not. (In fact it's downright terrifying.)

I'm in no danger of this part, but I agree - let's not have 'FTW' tattooed on the arm or sewed into the sleeve of any skins please.
Anyway, I'm not sure if I was apart of any of this but I still wanted to give my opinion on what was written - should it warrant consideration or not... but again, that's a two way street!

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

A character's appearance is only one facet of several that defines them. Focusing too much on that facet, or any of the others, deters from the character in its entirety.

It is easy to become convoluted in our own characters. "Oh this is cool [...] What if I did this? Or that? [...] Oh that looks even cooler."
Skinning and modeling are the easiest, solely because it is visual stimulation, rather than cognitive or cerebral facets of a character for role playing. Visual stimulation, compared to the others, evokes a more immediate emotional response—"This looks good." or"This looks bad.".

Aaron's attempt to kick-start some folks's common sense on this matter is reasonable. We are a community, not a collection of individuals, and as such we should be held responsible to one another, not ourselves, because an individual is the worst judge of self.
Our characters' appearances are part of their portrayal. Our desire to interact with one another is affected by this.
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Indeed,

All that does make sense, but we are not (from what I understand) a community which heavily judges what others may or may not wish to do with their character unless it *really* spirals out of control to the extent that it effects all the members. Those looking for simple visual stimulation are quite easy to spot, the fact that they hardly appear in server or contribute to something worth noting makes them stand out, Evan.

However, what I am against is starting a trend in which we start shifting through individual inspiration or taste to point out what we (individuals) don't or do not like. I may not like everything someone else has done but I do not let myself get set against it so much that I will bring it up on every occasion until it's purged.

JEDI has some of the most talented skinners and modellers, they all like to push the barriers in their skills and come up with some nifty stuff which I think, they are permitted to do. If they wish to bring this up on their character then that's up to them - we may not like it, but I'm quite certain that as 'individuals' we should be able to define between;

"Not my kind of thing, but if you wish..."
"That's a bit much, I would consider changing..."

and

"I think that's just stupid, you must go change that because.... X Y Z"

- I think that in some cases, consequences and requirements of additional traits/accessories could be considered. However we must take into account that we do not all share the same tastes, but on most occasions we can find a common ground in understanding/acceptance or simply agree to disagree.

Johauna Darkrider
Lost One

Post by Johauna Darkrider »

I believe I was the first one to have the eye scar on my character (correct me if I'm wrong), and as you'd guess, my character keeps her scars on purpose... but I can see why it can be weird if more people go ahead and copy these, which results in so many people having these scars.

Hoodies - Oh please.. come on. I'd not go critiquing that too much. Why wear and carry around a full robe, which limits your movement when you can have a simple hood in case you really want to cover your face? My character for example, can't be bothered with robe for this exact reason.

Armor - I can agree with Jedi not wearing the armor in the Temple, though when they are sent in war and operate in front lines, I see no quarrels there.

A lot of things, except maybe the 'terran' fashion and our OOC humour is imo up to one's personal preferences. If someone wants to have weird colours on their robes, let them. It may bring up some weird IC looks from others, but hey, deal with it IC'ly! Jedi are sentient beings, so I am sure if someone dresses weird, someone, eventually, might make some comment about it. :D
age --|height_1.65m|weight_54kg|race_human|mentor_ergo.stomi|jamus.kevari|arkallon
Nira wrote:I guess medicine isn't quite at the stage of being able to deal with stubborn Corellians.
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Sebastin Creed wrote: The rest, well that's down to your personal preference buddy but I don't think you, or me for that matter, are in a position to start handing out the do's and do not's in terms of what is acceptable in a skin. Sure, there should be some limitations (decided by the HC) but the rest of this should be left to the member themselves to decide upon.
Agreed.
Alkur Tekeil wrote:A character's appearance is only one facet of several that defines them. Focusing too much on that facet, or any of the others, deters from the character in its entirety.
Exactly, so why get hung up because somebody wears something your character would not. The only people that obsess over attire are the people moaning at everyone elses. I never see anyone in the server too busy to learn or train because they are infatuated by their own clothes...

Grandmaster Luke Skywalker, not wearing a robe.

A bunch of Students including Grandmaster Skywalker, not a single brown burlap sack amongst them.

Jedi Master Kyle Katarn, not wearing a robe

A Twi'Lek Jedi (Jaden Korr) from the very game we play.

Mara Jade Skywalker, wearing a black tank top

Aayla Secura wearing a belly-showing tank top with one sleeve missing.

Jedi Finn Galfridian wearing no robes and goggles I believe.

Jedi Master Obi Wan wearing Clone Trooper Armor no less

Cade Skywalker wearing a trench coat and armored vest

I think this is just another example of how KOTOR sadly influences and alters Expanded Universe role play.

At what point in time was it ever a law that what you wear dictates your actions? A Jedi in a blue robe with blue skin would not make any more or less a Jedi than a black Jedi in a Black robe just because of what he or she wears.

I understand that things need to make sense for the situation. As Johauna said, armor belongs in a battle, not for loafing around in a chair.

I would be very disappointed to see JEDI reduced to "Brown Matte robe or nothing please". That's NOT how citizens of the Galaxy (INCLUDING JEDI) Dress in "ABY" eras.

I'm actually surprised and curious as to who put you up to this Sared, given the outfits your character wears. (Which by the way, I've never had a problem with.)
Last edited by Amoné Fayden on Mon May 30, 2011 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Nastajja Arren
Lost One

Re: Sared's Ten Commandments of Skinning

Post by Nastajja Arren »

Sared Kilvan wrote:10. Hoodies

Just because you haven't seen a specific example in canon does not mean that this sort of fashion, if styled in a Star Wars-esque manner, wouldn't exist.
Sared Kilvan wrote:9. Skimpy outfits

Modest at all times? I seem to remember Twi'lek outfits from the very game we play that are like bathing suits. I agree that it may be ridiculous to walk around half naked, or to blatantly dress slutty, but you have to remember that we are in a fantasy universe here. Fashion in Star Wars isn't always as practical as we would have it in real life. Your view of modest dressing is from only one specific era of Star Wars as well.
Sared Kilvan wrote:8. Clashing colors

As a graphic designer, colors that don't match are a huge pet-peeve of mine. I like things to look pleasant and perfect. However, in the Star Wars universe, you have many different races who may have different acceptable standards for coloring, and other races who see in different color spectrums, etc. While I'd love to see everyone looking spiffy, I wouldn't want to enforce something that may hinder a funny character trait later down the line. Hopefully people would skin in a manner that makes sense for what their character or their species would wear.
Sared Kilvan wrote:7. Race Inconsistencies

I agree with this. If it's impossible for your race, don't do it. There are odd traits that are possible however, such as Delmi being albino, and I personally don't have a tail because there was no such model to suit it. If it's explained well and it makes complete sense, by all means go for it. Even Alkur is a color his species never is, but as Alkaiser he had a good story to back that up. Being creative is a good thing so long as it makes sense.
Sared Kilvan wrote:6. Stealth/Recon/Battle Armor

I agree, it's a little silly to walk around the temple with stealth gear or battle armor as a fashion statement. However I see nothing wrong with wearing either of these things out for a mission. Not every Jedi has the same skills. Not every Jedi is good at Mind Trick, or Protect. There's nothing wrong with wearing appropriate clothing to help keep yourself alive and get the job done. It doesn't make you less of a Jedi to aid yourself in ways that aren't the Force. As for your quote there, that's just one guys opinion.
Sared Kilvan wrote:5. Shaders

I agree entirely with this one. Shaders can be a tricky thing.
Sared Kilvan wrote:4. 'Terran' Fashion

Obviously no one in Star Wars will be wearing clothing from Earth, particularly brand named items and such. But some of the basics, such as tank tops, vests, cargo pants, and leather jackets still all exist in Star Wars because that's just basic clothing for humanoids. They may have a few futuristic or alien details, such as ridges on the shoulders or a different material, but they are all still there.
Sared Kilvan wrote:3. Accessories

I agree that accessories don't make our characters. There's nothing wrong with a few for design purposes though, and something they can come with a story behind them that can be good for roleplay. It's down to personal preference here.
Sared Kilvan wrote:2. Scars

I agree here, people seem to forget about the existence of bacta on futuristic medical technology. Keeping it for a reason, like you stated, seems fine to me as well. It's just more character development.
Sared Kilvan wrote:1. OOC Humor

We're in 100% agreement here.

--------

In summary, your views are not necessarily the views of everyone. Your tastes are not the views of everyone. Your idea of what a Jedi is and should be, visually, is one opinion, and one idea. Jedi have looked and been so many things throughout Star Wars, and I absolutely refuse to follow only one standard from one era. JEDI is, at its heart, a game that is set in a futuristic fantasy world. It should be open to interpretation, to creativity, and to imagination. When you start clamping down on these things everything just sort of becomes gray and dull. Cookie-cutter. It's unfair to corral people into one idea. We have so many minds with so many different opinions and ideas that when put together, could create an interesting and exciting roleplay environment. While that seems to be sliding slightly off-topic, I believe that restrictions such as what you have posted today are a beginning to losing what makes people unique.

That being said, please, whatever anyone does, at least have it make complete sense to your character roleplay! That's the most important part. As long as you follow that one golden rule, anything you create should be fine.
Last edited by Nastajja Arren on Mon May 30, 2011 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Species: Ryn

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Gosh....Don't think I could really say anything else after that post.... :shock:

Nastajja said what I was trying to say - but better.

Serris K'Ral
Lost One

Post by Serris K'Ral »

I'd like to point out, that most of the examples you showed us Amone are from the New Jedi Order Era or times in war, where armor would be needed for safety (Jedi aren't exactly invincible). However, we are not exactly the New Jedi Order, I believe in our canon, we've retained most of the tradition and clothes lost. Cade was not a very traditional Jedi either nor a 'good' one, most of Legacy Jedi wore the same clothing as the ones in the prequel series did as far as I am concerned, we are Legacy Jedi.

But of course, sometimes clothing depends on the culture of someones character, Twi'lek aren't exactly known for covering themselves up and Togruta Jedi never wore the traditional clothing either, so it's more or less 50/50 with me. I'm fine with scars and accessories if includes a story not just a cosmetic thing to make you look cool.

-
"Choosing inaction as a philosophy is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation" - Jedi Master Quell.
-
|age_20|birthdate_.15|race_Iktotchi|Homeworld_Bespin - New Cloud City |Mentor_Ametha Tasia, Kih Bu|
-

Nastajja Arren
Lost One

Post by Nastajja Arren »

Serris K'Ral wrote:as far as I am concerned, we are Legacy Jedi.

We are more than 200 years past the Legacy era, and any current Star Wars canon. I would think that the times have changed since then, as such things do. We should be free to determine the standards of our own era, which I believe was part of the point of setting our timeline so far away from current canon. So that we can make our own canon, unhindered.

Species: Ryn

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Serris,

If I need to go finding you pictures for examples of clothing, I will - but the fact remains that the 'time line' we are in, shows us that the attire for Jedi went through different, expansive stages. We have not reverted back to the extent in which is being presented here, but clothing has and will remain with the individual.

If you don't want to wear armour, don't - but if you get shot you better role play the consequences of your actions.

And as far as I was aware, we are in an EU timeline regardless beyond any restrictions of the individual star wars entities such as the KOTOR, Original, Preq, New Order or Legacy.

- accessories are down to the individual, I just ask that people look to work it into their character, rather than one day showing up with something and going "Oh hey" like nothing has actually changed.

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

I just don't see why it has to be one way or another.

Why can't we have some Jedi that like to wear robes and live humble lives and some Jedi that like to dress comfortably in clothes that suit the galaxy they live in?

Leave any disagreement as an RP character issue and accept that the Galaxy is filled with different races, cultures, biologies, fashion and personal tastes. Some that even Jedi philosophy cannot overwrite.

We are, after all, not Gods, but sentients.

Serris K'Ral
Lost One

Post by Serris K'Ral »

I very much doubt 200 years would change much considering how long the Old Jedi Order was around for, the Old Jedi Order remained very traditional through-out it's existence I think, seeing as they wore the same robes from Kotor 2 untill Order 66. I also think we're only a 100 years after Legacy and if correct, very little or nothing would change in the Star Wars Universe.

-
"Choosing inaction as a philosophy is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation" - Jedi Master Quell.
-
|age_20|birthdate_.15|race_Iktotchi|Homeworld_Bespin - New Cloud City |Mentor_Ametha Tasia, Kih Bu|
-

Kih Bu
Lost One

Post by Kih Bu »

Personally, I am not fussed at all over what people in this community wear so long as it makes sense for their character. Any objections I have with another's attire will be addressed by me in character whilst engaging them on the server. If what someone wears is viewed as wholly inappropriate from an OOC perspective, it will be approached on by the High Council when it reaches their attention.
Last edited by Kih Bu on Mon May 30, 2011 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.