Sared's Ten Commandments of Skinning

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Aayla Vigil
Lost One

Post by Aayla Vigil »

As long as the skins/models are compatible with the star wars context, I wouldn't have problems with it.

I think that the problem that wanted to be brought up was more regarding possible excesses in skinning/modelling.

Worthless to mention that if I ever happen to see someone with thisskin I would highly question him as to why is he playing with us in first place...

But excesses aside, there is indeed a scale of grays between what is acceptable and what is not in a star wars context. Our common sense (we are all more or less star wars fans) is what better discriminates what fits our context or does not, and so far only rarely the Council had to advice someone to edit or remove his skin or a variant of it.

Some examples I may bring (with no specific references) would be wearing jeans, a leather long jacked, shoes similiar to the ones posted above, etc. Even if we have no reason to think such clothes do not exist in the star wars universe, it feels appropriate to reduce its use to the minimum, in favour of more traditional clothes.
With this I do not mean we should always wear only classic beige Jedi tunics, at the contrary I am the first who have civilian variants. However, I do firmly believe that whenever we skin or model (the latter is not my case unfortunately) we must be mindful of how much we influence the RP environment and the characters played in it.

As bottom line, I believe that nowdays you wouldn't want to expect anyone playing Jedi Academy, and specifically a quite accurate jedi roleplay, to use a skin that is awfully unfitting for our RP context.
Finally, I believe that how our character looks is very important, and helps us, as well as the others, to better perceive and enjoy the star wars context in our RP. So be mindful of the power that resides in skinning/modelling :)

You can't choose what is right

Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

Well since we are discussing this, my opinion is that attire in JEDI should be reflected by the situation. I don't mind skins with armour, no shirts, hoods etc. So long as it makes sense in the situation. If you are walking around the Enclave with no shirt on, I would expect you to be reprimanded IC for doing so. If you are in your dorm, I don't care.
Same goes for armour. If you are about to leave the Enclave on a mission, so be it. Otherwise, don't.
I would in no way like to start seeing creative restrictions being placed on this topic. I only wish that whatever you are wearing, it makes sense within the context of the situation at hand.

There will from time to time be skins that -are- inappropriate but these should/will be dealt with in a case by case basis by the Council.

| Age_50's | Race_Human | Padawan_Zeak Dystiny, Des Anaro, Zuri Lyn |

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

The following opinions expressed are restricted to myself as an individual and are not intended to be interpreted as a mandate or position of the Council.

Jedi skins have been a thing of debate since around seven years ago when I joined JEDI. At that time a female member, playing a twi'lek, released a skin looking not too much unlike one of the base skins. She was asked to change it to be more in-line with 'traditional' Jedi appearance. My friend, Alduar Ouli, was asked to change the colors of his skin (a lot of reds, yellows and oranges) to be more in-line with 'traditional' Jedi appearance. At the time of these issues, the Order had no more than fourteen members and everything was subject to scrutiny.

Now, I have seen a long list of things that could be personally expressed as 'faux pas' in skins and at times I have expressed my distaste of those individual skins but obviously neither I nor has anyone done anything about them or expressedly forbidden them from making these skins.

I think that's a bad idea. The ideology of the Order is not an open book waiting for our creative interpretation for expanding. If it has become something analogous to this - it shouldn't be. We have a large amount of members and if we leave it up to their personal interpretations what 'is' a Jedi becomes more and more diluted with the ever expanding ideas of a large group of individuals that we become detached from source material and at some point merely become wrapped up in some terrifying modus operandi of our own creation.

There should be restrictions. Guidelines. Oversight.

For what it's worth, my personal opinion is this:
  • If you are in Temple common areas expecting to interact with others in a formal, respectful setting, then you should be dressed as Jedi are expected to dress. This doesn't mean brown robe period. This means fitting clothes that don't draw needless attention to you and could adapt to just about any situation and respect Jedi ideals such as humility or nobility.
  • If you're in a training area or personal quarters - I don't care what you're wearing. You can change out into your sweet shox and short-sleeve tee with poorly modelled Mr. Universe arms and rock a million pull ups before getting back to business but by no means should you get comfortable or expect to be respectful of the Temple's atmosphere by waltzing around folding your arms across your chest all day in something you'd wear to the local gym.
  • If you're on a mission where you are acting in formal capacity for the Jedi Order and expect to be recognized as a Jedi by those you interact with then the first example comes to mind. Something in the 'expected' category. When I talk about this, I include the obvious 'traditional' robes but I refer as well to things like the simple black shirt and pants that Luke wore (akin to Jared's outfit) and even what Aslyn wears (green jumpsuit of doom)
  • If you're on a mission where you prefer to keep your status as a Jedi downplayed, then you can wear whatever you think helps you blend in or keep from attracting attention.
Of course, I don't read EU (sick, gross) and I think it's mostly ridiculous nonsense. I may not be fully aware of any large changes to Jedi 'fashion' in the previous one hundred years but if we're so eager to get away from Canon and forge our own path, can we admit that it's more than an excuse for our sweet skinning capacity?
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

Aayla Vigil wrote:As long as the skins/models are compatible with the star wars context[...]
Considering the ridiculously large amount of "contributors" (read as cash-cows) to the Star Wars setting, the different views of each of them, and the money-hungry nature of Mr. Lucas, the notion of what is "canon" is pretty much open to whatever you want, because I can guarantee you'll be able to find some obscure short reference to denim or jeans in some bass-ackwards Star Wars material.

If you want to compare costumes throughout the movies, Obi-Wan had very similar style to that of Owen and Beru Lars, as well as Luke, because it made sense. Spacers, freighters, and pilots all had there own sort of stylish-utilitarian look to them. On Coruscant, the night-clubbers and diplomats each had their own distinct styles.

A Jedi wearing the "traditional" tunics, tabard and robe could walk into each of these situations (and did in most of the examples) and was not regarded without so much as a second glance by those who minded their own business.
Why? Because the "traditional" Jedi attire was not that far off from a basic manner of dress.

Regarding "specialty" outfits (stealth, pilot, armor), they simply waste space, in regards to file size. To have a highly detailed stealth/pilot/armor outfit that you utilize maybe once every month or two is silly.
The same can be said for the extensive wardrobe skin file.
For the most part, I've only see about 2-4 outfits from any of the 8+ MB skin files.
Also, in an exercise in humility, shouldn't a Jedi have a limited "wardrobe" anyway?

So I've gotta ask, why did I download your huge skin file if you're gonna use the same amount of outfits as me, when my skin file is approximately half the size?
(And frankly, for some folks, I just want to overwrite their skins with something simple, and tasteful)
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Tomoran wrote:We have a large amount of members and if we leave it up to their personal interpretations what 'is' a Jedi becomes more and more diluted with the ever expanding ideas of a large group of individuals that we become detached from source material and at some point merely become wrapped up in some terrifying modus operandi of our own creation.
But that is the core issue at hand really.

A lot of JEDI's members were not around when the original Star Wars (EP 4,5 and 6) were released.
A lot of JEDI members have been introduced to Star Wars via KOTOR or even the new Prequels which differs GREATLY from the Original Trilogy.

This is of no fault to the player as Lucas has made so many back-tracks and ret-conns over the years to suit the audience. "Source Material" is sketchy and contradictory with more holes than swiss cheese.

Original Trilogy (4, 5, 6)

In the original Star Wars trilogy (The ones I personally grew up with) Jedi were people with extraordinary powers that used those powers based on their own moral compass. The Galaxy was a dry, rusted place across almost every world. Everything was foreign and alien and there were such a vast array of different clothes, weapons and species all mixed together. Fashions, and clothes were never discussed but simply accepted as the "norm". The Cantina on Tatooine (when Luke and Obi Wan arrived) was filled with so many species and fashions but nobody gave a hoot. The same in Jabba's palace.

Never once do I recall a single official "uniform" every being set in place for Jedi. Obi Wan wore a brown old robe because he was a hermit that lived on a desert planet. Luke changed his attire several times, never setting on a single set because he actually fit in with the rest of the Galaxy's fashion.

Prequels (1, 2, 3)

With Lucas becoming old and senile he decided to change the way the Star Wars Universe appeared to suit the younger audience. With access to CGI he did not have before, Lucas formed a more shiny, glamorous Galaxy. He changed the Jedi into politicians. This was the first time more than 3 Jedi were seen on the screen at once, all gathered in a Council Room wearing the same clothes. This is the image people most frequently see when somebody says "Jedi". The Jedi are far more softer and monk-like than originally pictured and the worlds involved in the prequels were far less "post apocalyptic" than before.

KOTOR

KOTOR further enhanced the "new" image of Jedi by introducing Jedi philosophies that were never mentioned in any of the original Star Wars content. I am of course talking about "The Jedi Code". So not only were Jedi being reformed visually, they were also being reformed spiritually.

[/center]______________[/center]

So! What we are infact seeing is the image of the Jedi changing the farther BACK in time that we go. The Jedi are shown to be far more priestly in the past than they are in the future, no different than Real Life religions. It seems that by moving forward in time, the Jedi are infact regressing in a sort of de-evolution. This is the difficult thing for me to grasp as it makes no logical sense. It's saddening at least.

So really, what a Jedi "is" is held different with each individual. The very same thing applies to how people see the entire Galaxy itself including what people wear, what weapons they use and so on.

I am of course, not suggesting we pretend the Jedi code never existed or ignore years of EU content.
I think the ultimate fix for this would be to agree that regardless of what way you were introduced to Star Wars, Jedi from all eras are taught to be tolerant. This includes being tolerant of people's species, gender, culture, language and tastes.

"Jedi" is a profession, not a race. Conformity can only go so far before you are no longer role playing a unique individual in a Sci-Fi fantasy setting, but an unimaginative hive-mind with little to no difference from the person standing next to you.

I'm happy to diffuse left-wing vs right-wing disagreements if both can settle on a general acceptance. Sure person A might think Person B wears something horrid, but can't that be dealt with in RP as a character vs character conflict?

I'm sorry for the long post there but I feel the roots come from what we perceive as "Jedi appropriate".
Last edited by Amoné Fayden on Mon May 30, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

I'm sort of on the same boat with people with the armour/stealth skins. As funny as some of them may look, if you're wearing them for a specific setting or mission outside the Temple, that's fine. There are enough pictures and references to make a argument for that.

My biggest thing that bugs me here is scars, especially for Padawans. If you you're hurt, at the Temple or away, and you are a student, you would not have scars. Your Master or one of the Temple would throw you into a bacta tank or have you put on bacta patches. And bacta, as we all know, eliminates muscle and tissue damage. So, unless your character got the scar(s) before coming to the Temple, that's a no go.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

Amoné Fayden wrote:I'm happy to diffuse left-wing vs right-wing disagreements if both can settle on a general acceptance. Sure person A might think Person B wears something horrid, but can't that be dealt with in RP as a character vs character conflict?
This is presuming Player B is willing to accept this. Which, as I've seen so far in JEDI, is an unlikelihood, as most folks have the mentality of "my character, $%#& off, I do what I want, @#$%&". Or alternatively, someone (possibly the council even) will intervene IC or OOC will argue for an individual's rights to screw up their character as they see fit.

As it stands:
logic/reason/RP/character-conflict < individual's freedom of choice
To a sickening degree.
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Alkur Tekeil wrote:This is presuming Player B is willing to accept this. Which, as I've seen so far in JEDI, is an unlikelihood, as most folks have the mentality of "my character, $%#& off, I do what I want, @#$%&"
You're right! That is an issue if that's the exact approach they have.

However the same can be said for Person A who says "I don't care, I don't like it so you need to change it".

I know a lot of people don't like some of my skins and they've expressed that IC but that's the exact way it should be. One person might like a shirt my character wears where another might find it offensive. This is the diversity that is RP!

Running into a corner to make an RP grievance into an OOC broadcasted issue isn't how i'd like to personally handle it. And that goes for the reverse, making an OOC grievance into an RP lecture.

But Aayla said it as it is, there are just some occasions that can't be backed up by any form of RP and should be removed ASAP. So far I have seen very few occasions where this has got out of hand.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Hot damn!

I wake up and check the boards to see some well thought-out conversation and discussion! Thanks everyone! :)

Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

For some less well thought out convesation; as far as armor goes I'm not sure it's really even necessary in this day in age (weapons technology wise) If you get hit you're dead. :evil:
Nira'kalen'nuruodo
Lost One

Post by Nira'kalen'nuruodo »

Armour in Star Wars would function much the same as kevlar vests function in the present. Blaster bolts only have a finite amount of energy. The purpose of the armour would be to absorb as much of that energy as possible, thereby turning a fatal shot to the chest into something less fatal. It would also provide protection from shrapnel and other dangerous bits and pieces.

Stormtrooper armour isn't really a good example of this, but the Stormtrooper effect has been well documented. Likewise, the destructiveness of blasters has been subject to dramatic necessity - in ANH, blaster bolts blow chunks out of the duracrete/space mud walls of a Tatooine hangar, while in RotJ, Leia gets a bit singed by a shot that really ought to have taken her arm off.

There is a definite sense of practicality to armour, but it's really up to the individual to decide whether or not their character would actually feel the need to kit themselves out like that.

Nira'kalen'nuruodo
"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value."
|age_53|height_1.7m|weight_85kg|species_chiss|mentor_cyril.feraan|padawan_eugen.darkrider_nastajja.arren|

Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

That and it's worth noting that only in the films is Stormtrooper Armour ineffective. In all other literature, it's very much more effective - after all, if it were moreso in the movies, it'd be rather unbalanced for our unarmoured heroes to be able to take less damage than the most basic of bad guys...
Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

I don't understand why Jedi members need armor when they already have armor.
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

pref·er·ence (prfr-ns, prfrns)
n.
a. The selecting of someone or something over another or others.
b. The right or chance to so choose.

...But I loved that Family Guy Episode!

I want to collect them all on DVD... anyway, back to topic.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Kih Bu
Lost One

Post by Kih Bu »

Tomoran wrote:I don't understand why Jedi members need armor when they already have armor.
I assumed that the logic behind the use of armour stemmed from members wanting to present a more realistic and plausible explination for their survival during their missions, after they took that blaster shot to the side. Though personally, I never have nor ever will use armour myself among any of my Jedi characters. There is no particular reason for this, I just dislike it. Plot armour I suppose does play a part in that decision. If I were to be told that I had one life and one life only, then I would certainly take far more care when role-playing on the Galaxy server, as well as pleading with everyone OOC'ly before the mission not to go crazy with their blasters.