Sared's Ten Commandments of Skinning

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Amoné Fayden wrote: In the real world, i'm a decent driver and have complete faith in my driving abilities but I still fasten my seat belt. Does that then mean I am infact, not a good driver because I did so?

See where i'm going? :)
Can't put it any better than that right there! :lol:

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

Well, uh

Here it's illegal to drive without a seat belt.

Also, driving and being a Jedi aren't the same things. It's a colorful analogy but the situations aren't exactly analogous.

Most of my objections to armor are at an IC-level. My personal interpretations of Jedi wearing armor don't seem particularly important but I think with the War over Jedi needing to "prepare for battle" should be long gone and replaced with delicious PTSD.
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Serris K'Ral
Lost One

Post by Serris K'Ral »

I've only ever used my armour skins as a light thermal suits for when Serris leaves the temple with Bu to run around in the wastelands of Alzoc 3. I doubt I'd use armour if Serris gets involved in battle, hopefully by that time he'll be able to deflect and protect himself without the need of armour. I think in most canon situations, Jedi never really wore armor in conflicts or war time (I don't think I'll count the first two seasons of the Clone Wars series, as they've moved on to wearing normal tunics in Season 3 and well.. what the Jedi wore during those seasons wasn't exactly armour)

Then again, I don't think Jedi will be on the battlefield enough to need armour, they were mostly commanders, so unless you're running around the battlefield cutting everyone up instead of leading + commanding people.. then you'll need armour for sure lol. Jedi aren't foot soldiers when it comes to war, they'll probably be in the bridge of a Capital ship or a command center on a battlefield, they'll only ever involve themselves in actual combat if they need to, being crushed by the enemy or about to win to ensure victory.

Edit: And what Tomoran said...

-
"Choosing inaction as a philosophy is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation" - Jedi Master Quell.
-
|age_20|birthdate_.15|race_Iktotchi|Homeworld_Bespin - New Cloud City |Mentor_Ametha Tasia, Kih Bu|
-

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Tomoran wrote:...but I think with the War over Jedi needing to "prepare for battle" should be long gone and replaced with delicious PTSD.

Now THAT I agree with! :)

The idea is that when battle or War does rear its head (As it always does in Main Story arcs) people don't flip out and mock their peers simply because they chose to take that extra precaution and wear body armor before entering a fight. Lets say for arguments sake, A fight they HAVE to partake in.

However, as mentioned, if said peer decides Body Armor is best designed for loafing around the temple in... Then it's supper time for nagging authorities! :)

Dig in.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Tomoran wrote:Well, uh

Here it's illegal to drive without a seat belt.

Also, driving and being a Jedi aren't the same things. It's a colorful analogy but the situations aren't exactly analogous.
As is it here! Big fine if caught - unless your a taxi driver, then it's their responsibility apparently! :shock:

However, I don't think the example was comparing being a Jedi and being a Driver - but more the trail of thought that was being presented regarding armour and the wearing of it.

So I still think it's quite a valid example. :) and I liked it, it was colorful indeed!

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Nastajja Arren
Lost One

Post by Nastajja Arren »

It has occurred to me that all the time we have spent debating this on the forums could be put to better use discussing this exact same topic (species issues aside) in the server. The council has not officially ruled on this yet, and we are all of such differing opinions and tastes that this would make a wonderful topic for RP debate, conversation, and character building. It would help establish qualities and opinions that our characters possess, and when any official rulings make their way down from the HC, anyone who does not fit those policies can also be dealt with IC.

I dislike that we are wasting our time in OOC when what this clan really needs over all is more to do and chat about in the server. I think we should pack up and bring these sorts of things into RP. Afterall, isn't roleplaying what we're here for?

Species: Ryn

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Can't really argue against that Nastajja...As much as being able to express my OOC feelings on the matter feels like a weight off my shoulders. :P

So long as we've established there is no official HC ruling to abolish unique attire completely, I am more than happy for Amoné to be reprimanded in RP for wearing something inappropriate for the situation she's in at that time.

I accept that the community is of different opinions on the matter and am actually pleased to see some contributions from the Council and High Council members themselves. :)

Adds a little transparency to an otherwise cloudy topic.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Ah-hah!

(I agree Nastajja, but I'm a two hour drive from my computer until Friday. To the forums for me!)

How about #4? Would a Jedi wear a sports jersey, or maybe have a lunch box with their favorite grav-ball team's logo on it? Where do you think the line is between practicality and fashionable? Can Jedi be sports fans? What about 'business attire'? E.G. Alkur traveled with his Master assisting in trade negotiations and the like. Would a Jedi weara suit and tie for the occasion? What would the SW equivalent be? On that same line of thought, what about politicians and diplomats?

I guess that train of thought is headed here: does a Jedi dress like a Jedi all the time, or only when he is at home or at certain times/places?

I could understand perfectly well in the current setting, what with the war coming to a close, that some would not want to publicly advertise their affiliation with the Order. Then again, it may be notable that if "traditional" Jedi attire is not that far off from a basic manner of dress (to paraphrase Evan) then it would not matter. On the other (third) hand, traditional Jedi dress may have stayed relatively the same while galaxy-wide fashion trends may have evolved. All important things to consider.

Sared Kilvan
Lost One

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Double post because Amoné is a ninja.
Amoné Fayden wrote:So long as we've established there is no official HC ruling to abolish unique attire completely, I am more than happy for Amoné to be reprimanded in RP for wearing something inappropriate for the situation she's in at that time.
That is a totally different can of worms that I'll avoid by saying this: I'm not looking for any kind of heavy-handed ruling or anything, I'm just looking for a little accountability, that's all. :)

Zeak Dystiny
Lost One

Post by Zeak Dystiny »

Actually, if it's something like Life Day or an ordinary celebration event which isn't really Jedi related, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Jedi wearing the 'usual' casual wear.

"Is all that sales-babble in your brochure? Because I think I'm going to puke. Perhaps you'd like me to leverage your synergy with my vibroblade."
Xfire: Whenlightfades

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

I just had this image of us turning into Balamb Garden from Final Fantasy 8..

Sared Kilvan
Lost One

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Sebastin Creed wrote:I just had this image of us turning into Balamb Garden from Final Fantasy 8..
We're JeDI, not SEEDs. :P

But hey, if you want to see some well-done costume design (I said 'well done' not 'good', banish the thought you), the entire Final Fantasy series is good source material. Also check out the new Thor movie. I would live in Asgarde just to dress like that every day.

That actually brings up another thought. Were you actually your character, do you think you could wear what they do, as often as they do, for as long as they do? Do you think you would have the same range of movement that you have now? Would it be comfortable to do so? (Unless your subscribe to the 'itchy robes' idea).

I envision the default Sared skin as having a leather 'vest' section, not particularly supple, but not horribly rigid either. Like a thick leather jacket. Comfortable? Sure, but probably a little restrictive now that I think about it.

Olim Adasca
Lost One

Post by Olim Adasca »

Sared Kilvan wrote:Do you think you would have the same range of movement that you have now? Would it be comfortable to do so? (Unless your subscribe to the 'itchy robes' idea).
As a sidenote to people sparring with robes on, done in Kotor, I agree, but that's part of the total armor and the need of the game to show it. Realistically, you'd go through several robes a year.
Olim Adasca || Age: 33 || Species: Arkanian || Height: 1.86 m || Weight: 106.7 kg || Initiated: 274.28 ABY || Homeworld: Arkania || Birthdate: 268.20 || Mentors : Sebastin Creed 279.29 - 296.28 || Retired: 302.13 ABY
"Never give up, never surrender."
"Before all else, your duty to others."
"Always make your own drinks."
Kih Bu
Lost One

Post by Kih Bu »

Sared Kilvan wrote:That actually brings up another thought. Were you actually your character, do you think you could wear what they do, as often as they do, for as long as they do? Do you think you would have the same range of movement that you have now? Would it be comfortable to do so?
Yes, and I can attest to that. KotOR tunics are more practical and comfortable than the film-styled garments, though. Providing what you're wearing fits you properly and you've used the right material, it can provide better movement and comfortability than regular clothing.

I'll point out that JKA is a fantasy game however. So long as what you're wearing makes sense for your character in the given situation, what's the problem?
Last edited by Kih Bu on Tue May 31, 2011 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

So long as the clothes aren't too showy, or appear to be made from fairly expensive materials a Jedi would not have access to, it's fine.

Also, armor is fine when used in the proper context- if a Jedi is going to war, he will be granted standard issue armor, whether or not he wears it is up to the Jedi and, by transition, the player.

And lastly, I agree clothes should fit the context in which they're worn- training in the temple doesn't necessitate a full body suit of armor with knee-pads and arm-braces, and stuff that has names I can't even pronounce/spell.

Essentially,

Clothes should be simple, functional and reliable in-keeping with Jedi Philosophies and, to a lesser extent, the character's own personal beliefs.