Slower running backward speed for Gunner class

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Aayla Vigil
Lost One

Slower running backward speed for Gunner class

Post by Aayla Vigil »

I believe it would be very useful to have a reduction of the running-backward speed for our current gunner class (that is named "civilian").

This would allow mission contexts where the Jedi have to fight against gunners to be more approachable, considering that at the present time the speed of running forward and backward are very similiar, which makes it rather hard to reach a gunner who runs backward and shoot at you.

You can't choose what is right

Olim Adasca
Lost One

Post by Olim Adasca »

Well, I do think that we already accepted gunners and running backwards while shooting to be a no-no, backblast etcetera. But perhaps cutting the backwards speed down a, let's say another fifty units atop of the current speed (I think 275), should be doable. But thenwithout the no-blasting while running back restriction.

Second thought; Jedi have speed.
Olim Adasca || Age: 33 || Species: Arkanian || Height: 1.86 m || Weight: 106.7 kg || Initiated: 274.28 ABY || Homeworld: Arkania || Birthdate: 268.20 || Mentors : Sebastin Creed 279.29 - 296.28 || Retired: 302.13 ABY
"Never give up, never surrender."
"Before all else, your duty to others."
"Always make your own drinks."
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

Second thought; Jedi have speed.
Some Jedi have speed. And, frankly, that's beginning to become a bit of an over-used fallback.
Olim Adasca
Lost One

Post by Olim Adasca »

True, but as said, there has been a non-written rule to NOT run backwards and fire bursts.
Olim Adasca || Age: 33 || Species: Arkanian || Height: 1.86 m || Weight: 106.7 kg || Initiated: 274.28 ABY || Homeworld: Arkania || Birthdate: 268.20 || Mentors : Sebastin Creed 279.29 - 296.28 || Retired: 302.13 ABY
"Never give up, never surrender."
"Before all else, your duty to others."
"Always make your own drinks."
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

The 'unwritten' part usually means 'therefore not adhered to'.
Nira'kalen'nuruodo
Lost One

Post by Nira'kalen'nuruodo »

Adding that option to all classes, either in the form of a boolean flag (on or off) or a multiplier (1.0 for full-speed, 0.5 for half-speed, etc) would be excellent.

Being able to control the forward/strafe speeds would also be useful, I reckon. We might not necessarily use them very often, but I reckon it would be beneficial to RPMod in general.

Nira'kalen'nuruodo
"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value."
|age_53|height_1.7m|weight_85kg|species_chiss|mentor_cyril.feraan|padawan_eugen.darkrider_nastajja.arren|

Zeak Dystiny
Lost One

Post by Zeak Dystiny »

Even though it's not entirely unrealistic, to be quite frank. We just don't have the proper running animation to demonstrate someone running and shooting behind them/running backwards and shooting.

But I understand there is some difficulty in killing someone who's running backwards anyways. They should be a bit slower, because at their current speed you'd stumble sometimes.

"Is all that sales-babble in your brochure? Because I think I'm going to puke. Perhaps you'd like me to leverage your synergy with my vibroblade."
Xfire: Whenlightfades

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

So long as the speed is not reduced too much that it becomes too easy playing as a Jedi and too frustrating playing a merc.

Another positive side effect of this suggestion is that is should encourage gunners to turn around and run to get a distance from the Jedi faster, rather than strafe and backpedal, firing like a maniac.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Sorry, but I don't support this. If the backwards runspeed was decreased across the board, for all classes, then I would say go for it.

Aayla Vigil
Lost One

Post by Aayla Vigil »

Doing it for all classes would alter the lightsaber spars system, which is something that RPmod never wanted to do, as far as I've read through the years of suggestions.

You can't choose what is right

Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

It would affect the lightsaber combat system indirectly, whereas it affects the civillian class quite directly. I don't think that a Jedi has a greater ability to put one foot behind the other to backpedal any more than your average Joe, and the ability to move backwards and shoot/swing is core to the base game mechanics. Tampering with that is going to give certain classes (read: Jedi) distinct advantages that, combined with all the advantages they already have, does nothing but double, if not triple their current combat potency.

<rant>
Raven initially did a lot of work to balance the Force powers of the player with the combat efficacy of the gun-toting characters, and the only way that they were able to make it work in multiplayer was by combining the two, or by restricting the Force-using character's template (siege mode, and we have all seen how popular that gametype turned out). It seems to me that all we've done thus far has been a perpetual arms-race, boosting Force powers for grander JediVJedi battles, while anyone who gets shunted into a two-bit, Jedi-fodder gunner position views it as 'bitch duty' because they know, beyond the shadow of the doubt that they are going to have their asses handed to them by anyone so much as wielding a lightsaber. This builds up aggression and defensiveness on their part (because nobody likes having their face dragged through the mud), and any sight or idea of 'playing fair' or 'playing realistically' is one of the first things tossed out the window in favor of an 'I'll show him' mentality. This leads to more aggression on the Jedi player's behalf in order to compensate, because 'they're not playing fair, so why should I' kicks pretty soon after the first infraction.
My opinion. Copyright 2011, all rights reserved.
</rant>

On a personal and slightly less biased note, I don't think this discussion would be happening if we were using the mod to role-play as opposed to fight. If folks just want to fight they should find an FFA server and get it out of their systems there. Just my opinion.

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

The problem as I see it is Jedi are in fact the weaker of the 2 "classes" in our game.

It would a complete and utter lie if somebody believed that 1 Jedi had the upper hand against 5 gunners holding down fire on Repeaters with no pause and utterly SPAMMING the secondary fire "bomb".

Gunners win.
The only times gunners don't win is when they are encouraged to /kill or give pauses between their shots.

I'd say reducing the backpedal speed of a gunner is well-deserved nerf.
However, like I said in my last post, so long as the speed isn't reduced ridiculously.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Ellana

Post by Ellana »

What if instead of slowing down the running back speed of a gunner, you made the shots inaccurate?
Elu Dako

Post by Elu Dako »

Ellana wrote:What if instead of slowing down the running back speed of a gunner, you made the shots inaccurate?
That sounds highly realistic, since when you run backwards you tend to focus more on your environment than your aim.
Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

On guns:

-Make projectile speed higher (so aim matters more in shooting)
-Reduce ammo count on weapons (so that missing all day matters)
-Reduce the 'on-hit' knockback from being hit by a gun (to nothing, in my opinion, unless it's the stouker or rocket, obviously)
-FORCE gunners into first person perspective (so that Jedi can use LOS to their advantage)
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.