Where I Failed in JEDI

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Ommar
Lost One

Where I Failed in JEDI

Post by Ommar »

This post is for all those in or joining JEDI. There are a few pointers that may aid some people to have a fun and productive time in JEDI. I'll share a few of my experiences and analyze how I could have done things better and why. I'll start with how I started in the clan. Then I’ll explain what I would have done differently if I knew what I know now, why and I’ll give a few pointers I’ve thought up over the past few months.

I was a Kushiban named Ommar. When I started I had no profession in the clan. I did not know how to mod maps, model or remodel game models, re-skin, build new maps or even write good Star Wars, canon stories for the clan. That's understandable as I was just starting, but the problem was that I didn't change that later on. I did not contribute at all in the beginning. I only came here and tried to roleplay. I role-played using my own personality rather than a fabricated personality. In explanation, I totally immersed myself in the environment. To describe my and therefor Ommar's personality on the server, forums and MSN I'll use the word reckless, perhaps a little lacking in a simple key fact as well. I had no set personality for Ommar, it constantly changed with my own. Both me and Ommar took things personally that happened on the server and in the journal posts. For a little while, me and Ommar, one and the same, were able to hold our own in the clan without worrying about recklessness or ignorance, or lacking something to contribute to the clan.

Little did I know that whatever someone said about Ommar, me, or the two as it were, was not founded on actual knowledge of me and was therefore judgement without foundation. When someone insulted Ommar, they insulted me. That may not have been the problem, what was the problem was how I looked at what was happening around me, acting as though it was serious and therefore somewhat real to me. I took everything said to Ommar personally, as well as that said on MSN. Even though no one in JEDI knew much about me, I made that mistake. I just never got around to figuring out how anti-serious it is to be 'judged' online. I figured out that all that matters is what you and your closest friends think about you. Once I grasped that, trolling, opinion, debate, none of them mattered anymore coming from JEDI members and other online people. Whatever I share with these computers giving this message is just a bunch of code. No one here will ever meet me in real life and get the chance to know, or judge my real, live character. All that logic was ignored by me. I had a feeling that I shouldn’t have taken it all so personally and been so reckless, but I simply did not give credit to online anonymity. Think about that when you get upset if someone demotes your character or provides judgement, it's not you they're demoting. Even if they swear to the sky that they hate you or your character (probably not going to happen), they are really pounding at their keyboards and hating a bunch of images and fake texts of and about you. They don’t know who the true you is. You have to grasp that, no matter how real it may seem and no matter how much of yourself you offer online, people will never really know who you are online. That said, how can they possibly judge YOU?

Profession is an important part of the JEDI experience, especially if you are having a little trouble with the role-playing. Finding what you like is important. If you don't have time to contribute, and you aren't too good at role-playing, you may wish to consider playing a civilian. If you like modeling, open a model request thread like Delmi and Blavek before him both did, if time permits. If you like writing, write stories and one of them may be used, in a mission or in the holo-news, for all the clan to see and appreciate. The same goes for modeling, model if you enjoy doing it or maybe just seeing your finished work, if time permits. If skinning is your thing, make or remake a skin or two now and then, when time permits. If I listed all the ways you can contribute to JEDI, I'd be making a list longer than you have time to read, or I to write. Blogging is a good way for your craft to be seen, heard, and admired by all who care and have time to look. If you are going to blog as part of your craft, I'd recommend looking at other peoples’ blogs as well so that you support the clan's other bloggers and help create a team of productive members who slowly build the clan, together, as a clan. When you help other people with their craft, they may aid you in yours. You get what you give here. I know Alkur said that a few times, so kudos for that Alkur! :)

I’d love to write more, but all I have left to say is that while I was in JEDI, I loved it. I wasn’t as good at roleplaying as others, but, then again “there’s always a bigger fish,” right? That being said, I should have done much more modding for the clan, what little modding I did do was given proper appreciation, respect and much more. That heartens me. I cannot express how much JEDI helped me grow because it’s long-term effects are still widely unknown to me. I still think about it all the time thought, that I know. I dearly miss it.

How would things have gone different if I had not made those mistakes? I leave that to you to decide. Succeed where I failed, JEDI.
Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

Return to us and show us how it's done, brother.
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

This, is a fantastic read. I can't say that I agree with you 100% on some minor points, but that's just nit-picking. It's a real pleasure to witness this kind of self-realization and understanding in you.

Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

I don't necessarily agree with your point of view in some areas here Ommar but I approve of your desire for personal reflection.

I would just like to point out that we do not require applicants or members to have any additional skills in skinning/modding/mapping/blogging. The only requirement in this regard is to show a high level of dedication to character building and social interaction. We are a community that is supposed to support one another. If you do have skill in any of the above, your help for the community, where possible, is always welcomed. But it is in no way a requirement.

All I wish to see from applicants and members is some dedication to their role-play interaction, the ability to take constructive criticism without taking it as a personal attack, and a basic level of mutual respect for everyone else within this community.

With that said, it was nice to see you here again Ommar. Take care of yourself (y).

| Age_50's | Race_Human | Padawan_Zeak Dystiny, Des Anaro, Zuri Lyn |

Elu Dako

Post by Elu Dako »

I loved Ommar, my old character was good friends with him and felt he could relate, come back my friend, I miss you <3
Azrael
Lost One

Post by Azrael »

Oberon wrote:Return to us and show us how it's done, brother.
|Species: Chiss | Homeworld: Coruscant | Mentors: Aeon Xarbon, Shimi Zaki | Padawans: Imil Ucindus, Kiwron Tirladdik, Munro Olar, Shakk'aven |Position:Jedi Master - Historian/Librarian
Johauna Darkrider
Lost One

Post by Johauna Darkrider »

You should just come back. We all do mistakes. It is important to learn from them and continue growing. Remember, nobody is perfect. Giving up is just not an option, especially if you do hold JEDI & roleplaying here dear and you had a good time. As some already pointed out - you should just come back.
age --|height_1.65m|weight_54kg|race_human|mentor_ergo.stomi|jamus.kevari|arkallon
Nira wrote:I guess medicine isn't quite at the stage of being able to deal with stubborn Corellians.
Ellana

Post by Ellana »

I can definitely relate to that ommar... you should come back :)
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

Johauna Darkrider wrote:You should just come back. We all do mistakes. It is important to learn from them and continue growing. Remember, nobody is perfect. Giving up is just not an option, especially if you do hold JEDI & roleplaying here dear and you had a good time. As some already pointed out - you should just come back.
This pretty much covers what I wanted to say :P
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Ommar
Lost One

Post by Ommar »

Thanks for the replies everyone, I miss you all too. <3

Good clarification Sai that it's not a requirement to know OOC skills such as modding for JEDI. Sometimes it is just 1 good way to keep contributing to the clan if for any reason you're having trouble with the RP (time, inactivity, anything). No one will think the lesser of someone who doesn't do OOC contribution as it can take a lot of time out of life. It can really be 1 good way to show initiative and teamwork though.
All I wish to see from applicants and members is some dedication to their role-play interaction, the ability to take constructive criticism without taking it as a personal attack, and a basic level of mutual respect for everyone else within this community.
Again, clear as rain. :)
Last edited by Ommar on Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Johauna Darkrider
Lost One

Post by Johauna Darkrider »

So, when do you intend to come back? :)
age --|height_1.65m|weight_54kg|race_human|mentor_ergo.stomi|jamus.kevari|arkallon
Nira wrote:I guess medicine isn't quite at the stage of being able to deal with stubborn Corellians.
Herenai
Lost One

Post by Herenai »

Delmi wrote:
Johauna Darkrider wrote:You should just come back. We all do mistakes. It is important to learn from them and continue growing. Remember, nobody is perfect. Giving up is just not an option, especially if you do hold JEDI & roleplaying here dear and you had a good time. As some already pointed out - you should just come back.
This pretty much covers what I wanted to say :P
Indeed man, if you remember my fish-stick named Zekii, I wasn't good at RP, made many mistakes, etc.. However, I now made a new character and everything is better now. I hope you're planning to come back cause this would be a good thing to see you again in our community. :D
Zekii to Azra : "You're blue because of the lack of oxygen in your blood ! "
Aayla Vigil
Lost One

Post by Aayla Vigil »

To avoid giving the wrong message to anyone, I want to remark that:
All WE wish to see from applicants and members is some dedication to their role-play interaction, the ability to take constructive criticism without taking it as a personal attack, and a basic level of mutual respect for everyone else within this community.

You can't choose what is right

Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

Naah. It's only Sai.

And Ommar, return to us!!!! :)
Samoon Chooga
Lost One

Post by Samoon Chooga »

Johauna Darkrider wrote: We all do mistakes.
Well said.