New melee moves

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Jenny Wrix
Lost One

New melee moves

Post by Jenny Wrix »

As you may or may not know, the Movie Battles 2 team released a new build which included the following.
Movie Battles 2 Website wrote:Melee Additions

The melee system has been vastly improved upon to feature blocking and specials allowing for some interesting combos.
Blocking:
Blocking is activated by holding the reload key while in melee. While blocking, your melee blocking points (displayed in the ammo slot while in melee) will be used to protect against punches and kicks. Blocking low (crouched) protects agains low attacks while blocking high protects agaist high attacks. Getting hit by a strong melee class is unblockable and drains all block points.
Specials:

* Uppercut - Use+Fw+Punch - Knocks down unguarding targets and breaks block
* Leg Sweep - Crouch+Kick - Does high damage when your victim is already knocked down
* Jump kick - Use+Fw+Kick - Does a jump kick
* New kata - Crouch with back to opponent+Punch+Kick - Throws target over your shoulder
* Counter Throw - Pressing block as you get punched will cause a counter throwing kata.
I'm simply posting this for debate. Considering how the animations and coding exist, and how this could be used to improve our own roleplay and gameplay, should we take advantage of this or let it be? Is it possible to rip this from MB2 and place it into RPmod? Should something like this be added? If its possible can it be easily implemented without having to recode many things? Would we even get away with using someone elses work or just have guilty conscience? We use the ledge grab animation freely, however that was an open project, can the MB2 team be as generous? We use their maps, do they care? Will this be included in RPmod or just for us ::JEDI:: ?

Doing some quick research I discovered the melee overhaul was done by Razor Ace, who made the original concept for OJP. So considering it's called "OPEN" jedi project, it could be free to use.

Debate!
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Re: New melee moves

Post by Sared Kilvan »

I fully support a re-vamped melee system, just as much as I support a fully re-vamped gun system, with one caveat:
Jenny Wrix wrote:Is it possible to rip this from MB2 and place it into RPmod? ...If its possible can it be easily implemented without having to recode many things?
I've tried contacting the MB2 team about using some of their other assets before, but have had no success as of yet (still trying though!) Additionally, Razorace released his team's work under a fairly simple license, not anything that would require subsequent authors to share and share alike, so the MB2 team would be under no obligation to share this code with us or anybody else. (Who knows? They might be generous...)

I hate to scratch at an old wound so I'll keep this part brief: if we did try and simply 'rip it out' (forgetting for a moment the technical difficulties) and package it with RPMod, this makes us no better than Gabe Benson when he took a copy of RPMod without permission. Additionally, I believe it would dilute the originality of the work that has been done already, and while I don't mind using implementing freely shared resources, I'd prefer to make changes, improvements, and expansions on the feature instead of directly porting the code in line-for-line.

Now, all that being said, if this was built using Razorace's work, then it should be a relatively simple (not easy) process to re-produce something similar, with our own spin and adjustments on it. Specifically, (and I'm not sure if this is how MB2's system works) I'd like to see the 'ammo' for melee function work like their 'block meter'. Similarly to FP use/regen, punches/kicks/etc. costing X, blocking costing Y, and katas/counter-katas costing Z.

Sasha Raven
Lost One

Post by Sasha Raven »

Love it. Also no one in their right mind is going to enter a fight with their hands down permanently at their sides. Need to toggle the fists up stance in with the normal walking stance in addition. Unless I already missed it.

Big fan of hand to hand combat.

Edit:: Sared's also right, we need to create our own or deal with what we have
|height_5.11ft.|race_human| mentor_corinth.alkorda|Skin : http://www.gamefront.com/files/24280582/Sasha.zip
Nastajja Arren
Lost One

Post by Nastajja Arren »

I would love to see the melee system turned into something we would use more often. It would add another element to our training, and thus more to do.

Species: Ryn

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

I do miss the diagonal kicks of old JA+ and the grapple 'throw' from the fourth direction.

In fact, if you ask Rash how much I enjoyed grapple throw he might upend a table.

I'd love more melee, but my character doesn't use a lightsaber so - yeah.
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Jenny Wrix
Lost One

Post by Jenny Wrix »

I'm not necessarily suggesting we implement blocking and fatigue along with this. I'm only suggesting more moves should be implemented to expand on what we can already do. Although, when you take blocking out of the equation, moves like the jump kick and leg sweep don't have much use if you could use a normal kick to create the same effect.
Kenta
Lost One

Post by Kenta »

Loved the addition in MB2, would love the system expanded here too.
RP Age: 126 Next Birthday: 371.1
Stupid is a disease spreading at an alarming rate. - Kenta
Wynne Avurys
Lost One

Post by Wynne Avurys »

Any screenshots or videos for this?

| age_11 | species_hapan | homeworld_kuat | 293.05 |
| initiated_298.08 | Wynne Avurys | rank_initiate |

|I Want It All|
First step to feeling good is looking good.
There are things I cannot do. But there are certainly things I will do.

Computers . . . so unreliable . . . just like people.
Leadership is a privilege to better the lives of others.
It is not an opportunity to satisfy personal greed.

Rian Vun
Lost One

Post by Rian Vun »

Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is a really good suggestion! If MB2 would consider letting JEDI get ahold of this it would make melee fights very interesting. I've actually enjoyed their whole combat system. It'd be something to see actual blocking in JEDI rather than pokes and wiggles and the like. But I guess that would be for another conversation!
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

I too would love to see additions to the melee system.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Sasha Raven
Lost One

Post by Sasha Raven »

Please find a way to make this happen. Call it a life day gift? :roll:
|height_5.11ft.|race_human| mentor_corinth.alkorda|Skin : http://www.gamefront.com/files/24280582/Sasha.zip