Greetings

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Might

Greetings

Post by Might »

Hello everyone! Let me start off with a sorry, because I've read the rules and I might be doing something wrong here :cry:

I'm new around here, kind of new to RP also. I blew the dust away from my cd's and decided i'd give this game a go after around 6 years. I was just checking the general jka forums around (filefront, lucasforums, etc) to see if there was anything interesting and saw a post of this site (well actually, thejediholo.net).

Anyways, I would really love to be part of this community. For the past 3 hours I've been reading everything around here, and there's 2 questions I think I haven't seen anywhere. If anyone would be so kind to answer I would appreciate it :)

1) Do you have to play a Jedi character? (If I can that's what I'm going for, I'm just wondering)

2) About this topic viewtopic.php?f=101&t=2483, is the part "Joining JEDI" the way for newcomers to be part of this community? (Please note that as it may seem obvious for you, I just wanted to double-check as my main language isn't English)

3) What's the difference between thejediholo.net and this site? Is any of these an old site of the other? It's pretty much all the same except for the server list!

Again, I'm sorry if I'm posting this where I shouldn't!

Greetings!
Oberon
Lost One

Re: Greetings

Post by Oberon »

Hello Might,

First off I'd like to welcome you to our community! Also, I'll be basically paraphrasing that thread you linked while gearing it to your questions. Essentially, our Role Play community aims to replicate the experience of progressing within the Jedi Order. So yes you can play a Jedi! However, every great Jedi started as a student and before that a youngling. ;)

You build your character from the ground up, at a young age. This allows you to form their personality and other aspects from their life experience as well as get the full experience. It also makes your end goals within the clan a lot sweeter to taste I'll tell ya that! There are also opportunities to play a non-Jedi character, but those are localized to forwarding the plot on the Galaxy server (The secondary server we use for events or training simulations).

That topic you linked, "Joining Jedi" is basically the guide for getting started in our community. Ultimately it's a lot simpler than it makes it out to be. Two major steps, Write a backstory for your character and how her or she came into the company of the Jedi Order and submit it to the place that thread suggests, and secondly and most importantly join our server and role play your character! This allows us to get to know you and your character. I know you're new to Roleplay. A good idea may be to spend some time in spectator to see how things operate.

Another good step, once you submit that character backstory, is to post a brief introduction to you and your character in the Hopeful Introduction Thread. Which is in this forum section.

As far as the other site (thejediholo.net), they are a group that split from our clan back in... October of last year I believe? Can't remember exactly. In any case subsequently it seems they've wound down into heavy inactivity on both site and server. To the untrained eye it almost looks like an unofficial disband that no one wants to admit. But that's my opinion of course.

If you have any other questions about the community feel free to PM me, unless you absolutely hated my reply or somethin' like that.

In any case take care and again welcome!
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Hello Might,

Firstly, welcome to our JEDI Forums!

Secondly, I will try and answer your questions for you as best I can.

1) Yes, in JEDI your main 'Character' that you would play on a day to day basis with us would be a Jedi. You start as a hopeful (during the application phase) but once 'Initiated' you would play a young male or female child Initiate, who will then become an Apprentice to one of our Knights+ and basically, live and train as a Jedi through role play with the other members of the community (Temple). So effectively you would create a Character with a short back story to give us a little detail about who he or she is, species, place of birth etc. From there, it will expand through experience on server and through interaction with our community.

At times, there are stories, outings and missions hosted on our second server know as 'Galaxy Server'. On here you may be asked to fill another role but there will also be times where you will play your own character in a setting with other Characters being played by different members of JEDI. This is to bring about a live scenario where you can interact with the world, or being a different Character which interacts with members who are present as their JEDI Character.

2) The topic is correct, you would fill out the application form and send it to the Council Secretary Droid account who will then process it or give you feed back if changes are needed. While this is being looked over, you would be expected on the Server where you can role play and interact with our members and allow us time to get to know you, see your role play and help you progress to possible membership with us.

3) The community found at thejediholo.net was formed by members who were apart of this community. However, they are no longer affiliated with us and are not recognised by us, JEDI.

P.S I hope that's clear but no doubt someone has posted before me going into more detail!

Anyway, welcome to JEDI. :mrgreen:

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Might

Post by Might »

Thank you both for replying, that was very helpful :)

I'll start writing my character's background story then.

Thanks again!
Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

My pleasure. Oh and don't stress too much about your backstory. It really only needs to be a few paragraphs. Backstories (or biographies) hardly ever portray true role play ability. Besides, you want to leave some info to reveal for the first time while in role play. :P

Lookin' forward to meeting your character in game!
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

Good to see you're eager. Everyone has pretty much said exactly what needs to be said. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask anyone, we're all generally pretty helpful. Depending on the language, I might be able to help you with any blocks you hit with that sort of barrier. Feel free to ask for help. Look forward to seeing what you come up with!
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Might

Post by Might »

Thanks for the tip Oberon!

Delmi, my main language is Spanish, I'm from Venezuela, South America. I have my mistakes here and there but normally I don't really have any trouble understanding (I'd say I can understand any sentence written in this topic), It's just that sometimes I fail at following instructions in English (I guess I'm just dumb lol :D).

I'll definitely ask anything I have doubts with, thanks for the warm welcome and replying to this thread :)
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

I could for sure help you there if you ever need it, so don't be afraid to ask! Good luck :)
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

Delmi's very good at helping others understand some aspects when English isn't their native language. Also, don't feel like you're dumb because you don't follow rules in English perfectly, we all have our own mistakes and English isn't your native tongue, so its perfectly understandable as to why you would sometimes have issues.

Just have fun, do your best to follow the rules we have, enjoy the role play, and that's all that matters. :D
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Oh, and another tip.

Don't cross the road until the little man shows green. :mrgreen:

See you when your on!

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Just to clarify a few things...

Delmi is JEDI's own linguistic equivalent of J.R.R. Tolkien. Five years from now I expect him to re-invent Esperanto into something less retarded, and more awesome.

You are not required to create a young character (4-10), however it is strongly recommended as you will be able to experience a larger gammut of what your character will go through. With a plausible back-story and good storytelling, it is possible to have an older (15-30) character initiated, but I would not reccomend it. Keep in mind that during your period as a Hopeful, your character will not age, so you've got nothing to worry about regarding 'lost time' before initiation.

Please also note that while your character's bio is important, the majority of the decision made regarding their initiation is based upon in-character interactions on our server. Sending in your application and then sitting on your thumbs waiting for a response won't do you any good.

Should you decide to create a 'youngling' aged character, a generic model/skin can be found here for your use. If your character is initiated, there is a team of individuals that can assist you in creating your own custom skin and model for use in the community. (Bonus points if you know how to work Photoshop, GIMP, or any other graphics manipulation software. It's not required, but it can sure help!)

To spell it out clearly, thejediholo.net is a group that was founded by former members that illegitimately obtained a copy of Fabien's (Soh Raun's) software (RPMod) without permission. The details regarding these events can be reviewed here, and here.

If you have any questions whatsoever, feel free to ask them. The only stupid questions are the one's left un-asked.

Also, don't feed Sebastin anything that begins with the letter 'c'. It gets him all antsy, and you don't want none of that.

Aria Sadru
Exiled

Post by Aria Sadru »

It was nice role-playing with you Ralcos (Might), I think you worried a bit too much about your English, you really have nothing to worry as you display fine English, most English people tend to use bad English online and you showed good English on the server! Glad you hopped on and role-played with us (Wynne, Ren and myself!) It was fun! With the fourth hopeful, we have formed the glorious Youngling army.
Last edited by Aria Sadru on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Species_Kiffar| Rank_Initiate | Date of Initiation_298.06
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Aria Sadru wrote:It was nice role-playing with you Ralcos (Might), I think you worried a bit too much about your English, you really have nothing to worry as you display fine Enghlish, most English people tend to use bad English online and you showed good Enghlish on the server! Glad you hopped on and role-played with us (Wynne, Ren and myself!) It was fun! With the fourth hopeful, we have formed the glorious Youngling army.
What they said. If your English isn't perfect, then don't stress it too much. We have plenty other second-language english speakers, and even more that just suck at grammar/english in general (myself being chief among those!) Honestly, as long as you're not speaking in l33t or weaboo, you'll be okay!

Might

Post by Might »

Thanks guys! It was a nice first experience, I hope I'll be able to go with the flow soon and not overthink too much the way I write in English.

P.S: I might start asking, OOC, the meaning of words used in actions, I know quite a few but there are just some I have no idea what they are! :lol:
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Well, I'm one of a few scotsmen and my english is teeerrriibbllee! However, yours is pretty good so I don't think there will be too much of a problem!