Force Rage -> Force Trance (Repurpose)

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Tomoran
Exiled

Force Rage -> Force Trance (Repurpose)

Post by Tomoran »

I don't want to make training harder or more tedious for anyone. I enjoy training. I enjoy training others. The Force Regeneration 'wait' time has given me a specific idea to combat it's existence.

Rename Rage to 'Trance' and alter it's effects as such:
-'Trance' costs health over time (less than it currently does)
-If someone cancels 'Trance' during its duration they are hit with fatigue (the slow as it exists)
-Using 'Trance' gives you a flat amount of Force
-'Trance' increases your speed and animation speed for its duration

So, for instance

Trance Level 1
Lasts 10 seconds
Costs 20 hp over its duration (or 2 per second)
Immediately grants 60 fp upon usage
Canceling early causes 5 seconds of fatigue

Why does it last ten seconds?
This makes it so that Trance has two very different potential usages. Outside of fighting, one can use and then break trance to recharge their energy. The fatigue will affect them, but as they are not engaged in a spar, they will be in no danger. Breaking it early will make the health cost negligible.

In battle, there may be a time where someone wants to gain a burst of force energy, in that case - they can use Trance to get an extra burst of power. They'll have to sacrifice the health cost or suffer the fatigue.

The HP cost/FP immediately recovered will increase with each level
20/25/30/40/50 HP cost over 10 seconds
60/75/90/120/150 FP granted upon use

Possible problems:
It's very possible that making a power have a negative cost will have the unintended issue of still costing power. For instance, if I have 10 Force, and Trance is coded to cost -60 (so that it gives me 60 upon usage) it still may not let me use it until I have 60.

I'm not sure if that's the case.
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Re: Force Rage -> Force Trance (Repurpose)

Post by Sebastin Creed »

That actually sounds decent in my opinion, keeps the same sort of 'Force Rage' effect, but with some added extras that are useful and more in line with the Jedi needs.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

It's very ironic that you make this thread as I've been considering a few changes that could be made to certain Force powers without requiring overhauls. Fury being one of them.

Rage/Fury has always been open to debate when it comes to RP.
Personally, I RP it as an upper-body variant of "Force Speed".
I'd rather it be left up to debate that way, than have it defined.

The 3 main things I think definitely need changed with Fury are:
  • Slow down how quickly it drains your HP. It's too fast right now. I would definitely approve of having it as it is for level 1, but then change it to make it better at higher levels.
  • Remove the animation at level 2+. In it's current state, the HP drain of Fury starts the second you activate it yet you are at the mercy of an un-interruptable animation that prevents you from doing anything for about 5 seconds.
  • Fury currently has more negative effects than it does positive and although it is meant to represent "Base JKA", I have seen nothing that suggests damage received while under the influence of Fury is reduced as it is meant to be. This could use some propper testing though - I may be wrong.
I don't quite see the need to grant a FP bonus to Fury as I'm pretty happy with it's purpose as it is. Fury, to me is more of a physical or extreme expendature of Force Energy, not a medatative or Force-soaking ability. That's what Slow is for.
I'd rather it be kept to the more physical side of Force Powers than see it become a FP-boosting tool to squeeze in, say another Heal.

But that's just me!

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Sasha Raven
Lost One

Post by Sasha Raven »

Will the changes to any color emotes be togglable? Because I like the idea of Dark Jedi being able to rage in the way they have. It makes it seem more dangerous but it takes away any real light side applications. Perhaps all powers that are in debate of alignment should have a toggle?
|height_5.11ft.|race_human| mentor_corinth.alkorda|Skin : http://www.gamefront.com/files/24280582/Sasha.zip
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Sasha Raven wrote:Will the changes to any color emotes be togglable? Because I like the idea of Dark Jedi being able to rage in the way they have. It makes it seem more dangerous but it takes away any real light side applications. Perhaps all powers that are in debate of alignment should have a toggle?
I don't RP as seeing any form of colour when people use abilities. It's purely a game mechanic notification. I always disliked this idea that "Red = Bad."

The fact that your mind thinks "crap! Red swirly blur heading my way!" is good for Fury. Not because it's "Evil" but because somebody is obviously channeling a lot of force energy to move the way they are doing and they are heading in your direction!

So less "Evil" more "Threatening".

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

Amoné Fayden wrote:The 3 main things I think definitely need changed with Fury are:
  • Slow down how quickly it drains your HP. It's too fast right now. I would definitely approve of having it as it is for level 1, but then change it to make it better at higher levels.

Definitely, in previous suggestions I made to Fury, I had it not drain health at level 4 and actually restore health at level 5.
  • Remove the animation at level 2+. In it's current state, the HP drain of Fury starts the second you activate it yet you are at the mercy of an un-interruptable animation that prevents you from doing anything for about 5 seconds.

I'd be fine with a smaller animation for 2 and then no animation for 3-5.
  • Fury currently has more negative effects than it does positive and although it is meant to represent "Base JKA", I have seen nothing that suggests damage received while under the influence of Fury is reduced as it is meant to be. This could use some propper testing though - I may be wrong.

It doesn't. It's supposed to boost your damage output, reduce the damage you take and speed you up. I guess someone upstairs thought this was too much so in MP it simply gives you movement and animation speed boosts. It doesn't even stack with speed like it does in SP. It's wonky - I don't know what exactly we can change about it but increasing animspeed too much makes it really disjointed and makes the swings not hit, anyway. That's what's kind of limiting about redoing it in its current iteration. I don't know about the damage reduction or damage increase in MP, but I wouldn't be opposed to either of them.
I don't quite see the need to grant a FP bonus to Fury as I'm pretty happy with it's purpose as it is. Fury, to me is more of a physical or extreme expendature of Force Energy, not a medatative or Force-soaking ability. That's what Slow is for.
I'd rather it be kept to the more physical side of Force Powers than see it become a FP-boosting tool to squeeze in, say another Heal.

I don't see why it can't be both, with emphasis on the changes we agree on but also a slight 'boost' to represent you tapping into your inner energies.

But that's just me!
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Aria Sadru
Exiled

Post by Aria Sadru »

Instead of having the red energy field for Rage, perhaps you could change it to a red / blue mist for a few seconds like in KOTOR when you make a dark side / light side option, just a thought for the animation/cosmetic side of things!
Species_Kiffar| Rank_Initiate | Date of Initiation_298.06
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

I personally don't see the point in discussing colours, espcially based on "Light vs Dark".
They would need to be handled as completely different Force Powers and, correct me if i'm wrong, that's not possible.

The only way to tackle this would be to add some sort of optional "ForceGFX.pk3" so people can chose their favourite colour if it matters that much.

At risk of sounding austere, let's try keep the topic from diluting and keep it in line with the game mechanics / numbers first. We can worry about cosmetics at the end. :)
Last edited by Amoné Fayden on Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

I think Rage should be the same, but having the little boost to the FP and deduction to the health could go hand in hand.

I don't see it as a Dark Side ability persay but in the essence of the game it IS a darkside power. I think a little change would give it a new lease of life if you ask me, as for the Dark Jedi coming out of the wood work, a little rpeffect here and there can sort that out.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol