Force Failure

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Jenny Wrix
Lost One

Force Failure

Post by Jenny Wrix »

So here's how I see it, one under pressure (ICly) isn't focused on performing their abilities as much, since they're also focusing on: An opponent, pain, etc. So why not include a certain percentage of failure? Obviously people will point out why NOT but that's part of the process.

Here's my guess as to how this would work:
Low health = 10% chance to fail an execution at 45 hp, increasing by 2% every 5 hp lost
Movement = 10% running only

For the sake of argument lets exclude abilities like protect, absorb, heal, jump, sense, and all the DS powers which are generally used by advanced students which have adapted to focusing on their abilities. While some are rather ridiculous to have fail since they either don't affect others, are generally used when not pressured, or would make the game a lot harder if you failed at using them, jump especially. After you fail at performing an ability, you would have to wait about 5 seconds before trying it again.

We could also add something to the accounts which have a base failure chance. For example say Tomoran would have a percentage of 0% while I would have a percentage of about 5% and a new initiate would have at least 15%. The movement and health would add onto the base failure chance.

Role-playing things like this are hard to do, usually because you want to do it while you're in the middle of fighting or doing something that you can't pause and begin typing for. Coding this seems incredibly hard, plus I doubt anybody would like this if it were implemented but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Re: Force Failure

Post by Amoné Fayden »

I'm not a fan of this idea personally.

There are many situations where a person find their HP low without it necessarily being as a result of injury in RP. (We all know how JKA game mechanics can play against us in RP.)
This overall feels like we'd be willingly applying a chance for the game to troll us. A sort of "wtf glitch!?" where it feels like our keystroke hasn't been recognised or something.

I think there's logic to this suggestion of course, so It's not that it's completely nonsensical - I simply don't feel it belongs in JEDI.

I guess in the end, I'm just not on board with the influx of Game>RP suggestions we've been having recently.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

Amoné Fayden wrote:I'm not a fan of this idea personally.
I get where you're coming from Jenny, but this sort of stuff is up to the player.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Kih Bu
Lost One

Post by Kih Bu »

Delmi wrote:
Amoné Fayden wrote:I'm not a fan of this idea personally.
I get where you're coming from Jenny, but this sort of stuff is up to the player.
When I initially read through the suggestion, I thought it was a good one! However, I'm on the same page as Delmi with this. Some things should be left entirely up to the player, this would be one of them in my opinion.

-
JKHub | JEDI Videos | Files

i¯i▀▀▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Another good idea Jenny, but I have to agree with the others on this account.

I like some of the ideas that came about with the changes to certain powers; extra uses for them, changes in how they work etc. However adding in a percentage of failure for each player would just be adding a tad of negative to all of it that would be left in the 'hands' of the actual game itself. It's already unlikely that a Padawan can succeed over a Knight in a spar without introducing a percentage of failure, but for a mission as well I wouldn't like to see a roll of a dice punish someone in the heat of the moment and effectively kill it off.

So, it's a good idea for sure but like Amoné says, as far as JEDI goes this one would probably do more damage than actual good.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

Interestingly enough, I find that most players become failures at low health simply by the way that they change their behaviors in spars. It's the classic sign of a bad combatant, once you hear that mid-level pain sound suddenly they're never anything less than 20 feet from you trying to plink a yellow swing and it has never been easier to take them out.

The relative skill level in terms of game mechanics is kind of low as it is, if anything, we should be enacting bits and pieces to help people not fail quite so often.
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Nastajja Arren
Lost One

Post by Nastajja Arren »

I'm not a fan of this at all. It's just another aspect of rp that should be played out by the player, and not game mechanics. I really don't like more and more things being decided by mechanics.

Species: Ryn

Herenai
Lost One

Post by Herenai »

Nastajja Arren wrote:I'm not a fan of this at all. It's just another aspect of rp that should be played out by the player, and not game mechanics.
Zekii to Azra : "You're blue because of the lack of oxygen in your blood ! "
Jenny Wrix
Lost One

Post by Jenny Wrix »

Fair enough, however I wanted this to be solely focused on times when you can't RP out actions, I.E. during combat.
Aria Sadru
Exiled

Post by Aria Sadru »

I personally like this, it keeps combat going without the need to stop and perform /me and keeps everything rather fluent, so I support this.
Species_Kiffar| Rank_Initiate | Date of Initiation_298.06
Elu Dako

Post by Elu Dako »

This is where ::<Text>:: can be of use, just rp out if it fails or something.
Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

Someone forgot to read the above posts! Must be all that gas you're sucking in that mask of yours! [Dark side points gained]

I fondly remember Arcane Spell Failure from any sort of DnD game you'll play. But I hardly use Force in combat anyways so while I guess we're lucky we don't pump out magical stuffs by doing a dance while shaking a salt shaker over our shoulder I think if your character is not likely to have the "muscle memory" type control over the power you shouldn't be hulk smashing F1 throughout the action sequence.
Aurien Uriah
Lost One

Post by Aurien Uriah »

Tomoran wrote:Interestingly enough, I find that most players become failures at low health simply by the way that they change their behaviors in spars. It's the classic sign of a bad combatant, once you hear that mid-level pain sound suddenly they're never anything less than 20 feet from you trying to plink a yellow swing and it has never been easier to take them out.

The relative skill level in terms of game mechanics is kind of low as it is, if anything, we should be enacting bits and pieces to help people not fail quite so often.
Agreed.

Human error
Part of Speech: n
Definition: the propensity for certain common mistakes by people; the making of an error as a natural result of being human
Example: New drivers get in accidents due to human error.

This idea has already been implemented unintentionally.

I think Delmi and I figured out a while back that most of the hits we land on each other are just lucky shots. IF the game mechanics were more sophisticated, THEN it may be a good idea.
"...Yeah, we do need better brand awareness."

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

I like the idea. Failure is natural and should be accounted for.
|age_48|height_1.72m|weight_64kg |race_mirialan|mentor_aknaross.myotis| padawans_serris.k'ral/oberon.pentari/voth.ahkrin|
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Ametha Tasia wrote:Failure is natural and should be accounted for.
Of course and I agree fully! But it should be organic and should always be situational and based on so many variables. What are they doing? Are the tired already? Are they just warmed up and fully focused? Are they in the dark? Are they in a brightly lit room? What species are they? Does this person have an aptitude for a certain skill? etc, etc.

This should all be "calculated" by the player and expressed in RP. It shouldn't be accounted for by means of a dice roll game mechanic that doesn't care for the situation at hand.

That's my angle. :)

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion