/R

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Zelai Kol'iva
Lost One

Re: /R

Post by Zelai Kol'iva »

I support this fully as I to fall into this problem concerning the names.

To answer Illrians post, if this was implemented, then maybe a bind can be made where it would go to a certain key, when pressing that key it would open like a chat function however once sent it will simply reply. Without having to open the console and type the /reply <Message>.
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

I can see the use for such a command, however consider the following:
  • Player A sends a PM to you.
  • You start typing /reply followed by a lengthy message.
  • Player B sends a PM to you before you press Enter.
  • You finish typing your message and hit Enter.. and sent your message to B instead of A.
I can imagine this case happening quite often...
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Soh Raun wrote:
  • You finish typing your message and hit Enter.. and sent your message to B instead of A.
Would there not be a way to prevent that from happening?
This does not happen when you bind the "tell" command to a key.

For example, on my keyboard I press:
Y = Global Chat
T = team_mode chat
U = tell target (PM)

So if I hover my mouse over somebody in the server, press U and start typing, my message will be delivered to them regardless of how many "new" contacts have PM'd me after i've started typing the message.

Could /reply not work in this same fashion if bound to a key?

So in essence, the game would "target" the last person to PM you by pressing the bound key to type, rather than calculating it after you hit enter.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

You don't technically bind "/tell" to a key. "/tell" is a command for use in the console, while the "PM the person you are targetting" key is bound to "/messagemode3", which is a special command handled by the game engine itself (not RPMod), later translated to a /tell command when you press enter.

So if this suggestion is about recreating something like a "messagemode3" command and UI to reply to someone, I'm not sure it's actually possible...
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Awww that makes me sad.
Appreciate the clarification on the matter though, Soh!

Rian Vun
Lost One

Post by Rian Vun »

Well, to be fair, in any MMO I've played they all have the /r problem you've pitched there Soh. But I imagine as long as the person is careful they can avoid total confusion in that department! Thanks for giving input!

Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

Soh Raun wrote:I can see the use for such a command, however consider the following:
  • Player A sends a PM to you.
  • You start typing /reply followed by a lengthy message.
  • Player B sends a PM to you before you press Enter.
This was sort of my concern with the suggestion as well. Though I like it, but I rather be certain of who I'm responding to.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Zuri Lyn
Lost One

Post by Zuri Lyn »

Indeed, this problem might be problematic. After some thought, here is what I propose :

We could have three commands:

The first command would be something like /storename but that will be decided later on. The purpose of this command is to store or remember the name of the last person who pm'd you at one point in time. To be clear, whenever someone with a complicated, long or invisible name pm's you, you just write in this command. You can then use the second command to reply.

The second command will be along the lines of /replystored. Anyway what is does is simple, it's just the /reply command we have been thinking of, but it sends the reply to the last person who's name you stored. The use of this command is that even if someone talks to you after the initial pm you want to reply too, it will not send the reply to them.

The last command is just the original /reply command : It sends the reply to whoever has last sent you a pm. This is the command you can use when talking to only one person, when you do not want to be typing in two commands.

Now, here are a few situations in which these commands will be useful.

First situation : As you are rp'ing on the server, someone asks you a question. You are not currently talking to anyone else and you have difficulty knowing the person's name, as it is in black. You then simply type the third command "/reply [message]" to send back a reply. It's quick and efficient and rarely will someone else also ask a question or say hello at the same time.

Second situation : You are conversing with someone via pm and do not think anyone else will start talking to you yet. He's got a name difficult to spell, so you just type the "/reply [message]" command every time. If ever someone else starts a conversation with you, it's only 1 message you've typed. You then go to the third situation.

Third situation : you are conversing with two people via pm and one of them has a name hard to spell or in black. You decide to type the first command "/storename" after the first one sends a pm. You can then reply to him easily with the second command "/replystored [message]". As for the second person, just use the normal "/tell [name] [message]" command.

Fourth situation : Let's imagine you are talking to only one person and are doing lengthy messages. You want to avoid having to retype anything if someone "interrupts" you, so you simply store the first person's name with the first command "/storename". You can then write your long messages and if someone else contacts you, there's no problem finishing your message and sending it. If you're fast, you could even use the third command "/reply [message]" to reply to the person who's just pm'd you.

There are many situations that can arise when rp'ing, but I think these will be the most frequent. You've seen here that all these three commands can be used conjointly to have a quicker response. They will also save you some problems. Also, I believe that coding these three commands would be really simple, not even taking much time.

What does everyone think of this?
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Amoné Fayden wrote: It's a "Make life simpler" suggestion, not saying it was ever impossible to manage before. :lol:
The idea was to simplify responding to save manually entering /tell <name> for every message.

I don't think the process of PMing needs to be any more complex than that.

Aurien Uriah
Lost One

Post by Aurien Uriah »

I don't think the "/tell" command can, or should, get any simpler either.
"...Yeah, we do need better brand awareness."

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Elu Dako

Post by Elu Dako »

After what Ztrut said, I think it's quicker to just use /tell xD.