Datapad

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Re: Datapad

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Oberon wrote:Great... now in addition to the saber pack we're going to have the datapack (oh u c wut i did ther?). And I know what you're saying Seb, them kids and their ipods. Back in my day we used to maintenance the power converters for fun!
Public

Generic_datapad_a
Generic_datapad_b
Generic_datapad_c
Generic_datapad_d
Generic_datapad_e

JEDI

Oberon's Datapad MediCT100
Olim's Datapad YME3000
Wynne's Datapad MyLittleWampa400
Delmi's Datapad BigDogDelux

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

Oh dear gawd.. so now not only are we going to have the default datapads, but we're seriously going to start having custom datapads? Honestly I see a good idea for having a custom one, because if you constantly do a certain thing on it you can reskin the front to show that..

Such as for Oberon, his could be reskinned to show some type of medical records or something, and Olim could do it for his technical stuff.. but I hope no one goes making blue and pink datapads >.>
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

Sebastin Creed wrote:Delmi's Datapad BigDogDelux
looooooooooooool

I honestly don't see the need for people to have personalized datapads, imo. Just another pack to maintain, distribute, and have people get. Just throw in a few different variants, people can deal with that I think. It's a cool suggestion and I totally support it, but remember that JEDI has done without a physical datapad model for years.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Wynne Avurys
Lost One

Post by Wynne Avurys »

Sebastin wrote: Wynne's Datapad MyLittleWampa400
lolz. How cute :lol:
Yeah like the ipod there will always be new updated versions :( I wouldn't mind updating tho 8)

| age_11 | species_hapan | homeworld_kuat | 293.05 |
| initiated_298.08 | Wynne Avurys | rank_initiate |

|I Want It All|
First step to feeling good is looking good.
There are things I cannot do. But there are certainly things I will do.

Computers . . . so unreliable . . . just like people.
Leadership is a privilege to better the lives of others.
It is not an opportunity to satisfy personal greed.

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Delmi wrote:
I honestly don't see the need for people to have personalized datapads, imo. Just another pack to maintain, distribute, and have people get. Just throw in a few different variants, people can deal with that I think. It's a cool suggestion and I totally support it, but remember that JEDI has done without a physical datapad model for years.
Exactly.

I had thought of:
  • Generic Datapad (For Everyone)
  • Rusty Datapad (For old timers or for retrieving from the field)
  • White/Silver Datapad (For Medical / Upper-class)
  • Black Datapad (For Technicians / Tradesmen)
From that I guess people could pick which kind they felt represented their own.

Preference and all that.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Yeah, I think about 5 Generic kinds would do the trick, then people can pick which one they want to continue to use.

Also can I ask people... don't think you would run out and purchase 5 datapads just so you can switch between the colours...

That is all.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Kih Bu
Lost One

Post by Kih Bu »

Removed the datapad from the pack along with all files associated for ye. Turns out it had a custom readyAnim set to emconsole, which I've removed. If anyone wants to upload and test it privately to see how /rpdropweapon and everything works, have at it!

Personally, I don't see the need for a many variants, if any. But that's just me! There's always a way to remove it from appearing in the saber menu and having it accessible only via /saber datapad_1 etc, so it's all good!

What I would like to know is how the game knows how to texture the datapad the way it is. I tested it briefly in game and it appeared fine, yet there's no mention of a texture path anywhere in the pk3. O_o
Attachments
Datapad.zip
(47.33 KiB) Downloaded 223 times

-
JKHub | JEDI Videos | Files

i¯i▀▀▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Thanks for cleaning it up Kih.

If I wasn't going to be so busy today, I'd play around with it.

I bet all it needs is a .skin file created to route texture to a specific location (since it's likely the textures are routed into the .glm itself like many models.
Then it would require the following added to the .sab file:

Code: Select all

customSkin    "models/weapons2/datapad/datapad.skin"
Upon closer inspection, the location of the textures it uses is:

models/items/datapad.tga
models/items/datapad_screen.tga

These are located in your assets1.pk3.
One would need to copy these textures into the new Datapad model folder for reskinning.

I'd be happy to do this of course, unless for some reason there was a desperate need to get this released in the next week.

Kih Bu
Lost One

Post by Kih Bu »

Amoné Fayden wrote:I'd be happy to do this of course, unless for some reason there was a desperate need to get this released in the next week.
Take your time if you're willing to give it a go. JEDI's survived this long without a datapad model after all!

-
JKHub | JEDI Videos | Files

i¯i▀▀▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך

Azrael
Lost One

Post by Azrael »

As long as we dont end up with the jet-black datapad with the pentagram on it a hopeful appeared with a while back, i'm all for this idea. :lol:

Just keep it to a few standard ones of varying colour. We don't all need our own presonal datapad as few people ever RP their characters reading much anyway.
|Species: Chiss | Homeworld: Coruscant | Mentors: Aeon Xarbon, Shimi Zaki | Padawans: Imil Ucindus, Kiwron Tirladdik, Munro Olar, Shakk'aven |Position:Jedi Master - Historian/Librarian
Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

Hmmm... he must use it to play World of Warcraft.

Anyhow, I want to see if these rpdropweapon properly! :( Someone get them uploaded.
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Im not at home right now but I managed to fiddle with the Datapad in Modview before I left and got it to work.

I think I'll be able to reskin them no problem.
As I previously mentioned, I was only going to do about maybe 1-4 variants of a generic style. That would at least allow players to feel slightly more individual or pick a Datapad that suits them.

If multiple skins isn't possible, it's no problem, we'll just settle with the one style.

I will be improving the textures though! :twisted:

Viden

Post by Viden »

Amoné Fayden wrote: I had thought of:
  • Generic Datapad (For Everyone)
  • Rusty Datapad (For old timers or for retrieving from the field)
  • White/Silver Datapad (For Medical / Upper-class)
  • Black Datapad (For Technicians / Tradesmen)
From that I guess people could pick which kind they felt represented their own.

Preference and all that.
I do like this idea. >.>
Elu Dako

Post by Elu Dako »

Here's a thought, though it's most likely a bad one, have it so if you type /rpdatapad a UI appears in the console with various things programmed into the mod, here's one example
/rpdatapad class - Shows all classes with times/days

I've seen something like this done before, it featured holonews.

Maybe have a command that allows rcon users such as Soh to alter things so he can add events with times or new classes and such, the events thing will be mostly OOC but it may still have use.

I know it's a crappy idea but I wanted to put it out since everyone has the right to free speech, even if I do get shot down for it heh.
Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

Elu Dako wrote:Here's a thought, though it's most likely a bad one, have it so if you type /rpdatapad a UI appears in the console with various things programmed into the mod, here's one example
/rpdatapad class - Shows all classes with times/days
Unless you planned on linking this to a PHP database, this probably wouldn't work out too well. Incorrect times and stuff since instructors usually change the time of their class with short notice.

Though it would be kind of cool if you could somehow journal from ingame or write notes for those who play full screen. Though it'd probably be pretty precarious to implement/use.

Windowed mode ftw.