Universal Walk/Run Speed

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Ellana

Universal Walk/Run Speed

Post by Ellana »

I'm sure most all know that the higher the model-scale you are, the faster you run/walk.

What I intend to suggest would be to have a universal walk/run speed. It isn't a big deal, but those with under 100% model-scale (Whether by IC age, or by permanent height) are at a disadvantage with those that have 100%+ model-scale.

If this would (and could) be implemented, it might encourage more people to RP as being short, rather than always going for the 'tall' 100%+ model-scales.

Perhaps an exception could be given to young kids, as realistically they could not run as fast as an adult.
Last edited by Ellana on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kieran Orion
Lost One

Re: Universal Walk/Run Speed

Post by Kieran Orion »

Hmm...I don't know how I feel on this one. The difference in speeds between 100% scaled skins and the younglings gives the Rp something of an authentic look, the children having to quickly run a pace or two every ten seconds just makes me ::Grin:: lol.

How does everyone else feel?

I'm happy with it as it currently it.

Homeworld: Iridonia | Languages: Basic, Ul'Zabrak | Mentor: Amone Fayden | Jedi Knight | Circle of Artisans.

Eugen Darkrider
Lost One

Post by Eugen Darkrider »

Ugh. No, just no.
I don't want to be mean. But..

Ever tried running/walking beside a short person? Be it old or young. they're slower. They make more steps. It's obvious even between people with around few inches difference in height.

Also, nobody goes for model 100% Scale. We have members that prove that. If you didn't notice.
Delmi is taller.. Nastajja is shorter. (Giving an example)..

Honestly. Leave it as it is.
Besides. Saying it bluntly, I dont want to see a youngling match my walking speed when they should be slower. Due to obvious reasons.

Besides, what's the problem with
::Holds Shift to walk. Tall person is faster and takes distance. Lets go of shift to run. Catches up to the Tall person. Presses Shift again::
^ That is realistic in my opinion.

Also. I wouldnt feel up to binding ::Walks slower cause he's small::
1. Spam? No thank you.
2. Ever roleplayed walking slow when injured? You don't hold the walk button and the forward button pressed always.

Anyhow.. I think I made my point.
Just my two cents tho.
Cheers.

(Also, I am pretty sure this has been suggested before.. But whatever)
Masters: Nira'kalen'nuruodo | Iverian Prey | Aslyn Denethorn
Olim Adasca
Lost One

Post by Olim Adasca »

Such a universal walkspeed creates even more awkward situations in graphical terms, which I find very important myself. A speed that's set in relation to size is more natural, rather than a powerwalking midget and a slow slumping giant. A Jawa isn't as good at moving fast as a Chistori, rather common sense in my opinion.
Olim Adasca || Age: 33 || Species: Arkanian || Height: 1.86 m || Weight: 106.7 kg || Initiated: 274.28 ABY || Homeworld: Arkania || Birthdate: 268.20 || Mentors : Sebastin Creed 279.29 - 296.28 || Retired: 302.13 ABY
"Never give up, never surrender."
"Before all else, your duty to others."
"Always make your own drinks."
Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

Kieran Orion wrote:The difference in speeds between 100% scaled skins and the younglings gives the Rp something of an authentic look...
I have to agree with Kieran and the others here this time. I much prefer the noticeable walking differences for the reason above ^

With that said, had it been possible to manually alter walking speed to be slower by command, that's something I'd be more interested in. A toggle-able option for slow walking through corridors, with automove on for longer uninterrupted conversations on the move.

I often try to use automove while having a conversation but I end up reaching the end of the corridor before finishing a single sentence heh.

But as for default, I prefer it as it is. Open to discussion on a toggle-able 'stroll' speed.

| Age_50's | Race_Human | Padawan_Zeak Dystiny, Des Anaro, Zuri Lyn |

Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

So the RP reason is settled, as far as "disadvantages" go... it's mitigated by the diminutive hitbox.
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

It makes no sense that someone who is 6 feet tall would walk the same speed as a 3 foot kid. Not going to support this, sorry.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Kih Bu
Lost One

Post by Kih Bu »

It is more than possible for younglings to walk at the same pace as adults on the server right now with no further edits being made to the game. However, I'm not so confident that the same trick works in reverse, slowing us down. The extremely few that I have revealed the trick to in the past, have been met with only one error. When the youngling is walkning, they sort of... skip. It's hard to describe the exact effect when they're walking beside you, it's the same effect as if you see someone lagging beside you, zipping back and forth in a small space. Not a huge deal, but it's enough to be noticeable and pull you out of the RP.

All this said, it's part of the role-play for you to be slower, to have to jog lightly to keep up. Use that.

-
JKHub | JEDI Videos | Files

i¯i▀▀▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Oberon wrote:So the RP reason is settled, as far as "disadvantages" go... it's mitigated by the diminutive hitbox.
I'm probably more in favour of this suggestion than against it but more for running than walking.

There are some absolutely tiny sportsmen and women that outrun their 6 foot counterparts.

The reason I agree with the suggestion is that it cheapens my realism when I use Force Speed and some other model scale 101% player overtakes me because their model scale says they can, even though their RP does not.

The best way around this one would be as Sai said, and include a command to alter walk/run speed. Even if it was a 3 stage toggle: Slower, Default, Faster.

Slower = -5% movement speed + universalizing movement speed between models.
Default = As it is now with models scales working at independent speeds.
Faster = +5% movement speed + universalizing movement speed between models.

Or it could simply be a toggle on/off.

/rpmovespeed 0 = Default
/rpmovespeed 1 = Universalizes movement speed based on 100% model scale

The latter would less abusable.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

Pretty much what I wanted to say has been said. Let a kid walk normally behind an adult who's walking normally. The adult is roughly 5foot 8inches, and the kid is what.. 3-4 feet tall?

That kid is going to have to take more steps to keep up, and if the kid takes the same amount of steps he'll fall behind just like they do in the RP. I'm sorry, I will not support this because the entire thing adds a realistic view on it.

If you honestly are letting it get to you and bug you so much that you need to make this suggestion, try every now and then tapping your run button. Just to help keep up. Consider it fast-walking if you use it just every so often, just like a kid would do in real life.
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Nastajja Arren
Lost One

Post by Nastajja Arren »

I think I'm gonna go with the majority. I sort of like that I have to try to keep up with my taller friends, I find it realistic. If that deters people from roleplaying as short, well... Sacrifices get made for good rp!

I will agree with Amoné though. I would like to see a change to the running speed, because, as he said, some short people are way faster than their taller counterparts. However, I'm sort of afraid that if you give some kind of run speed bonus that all the short people will suddenly become amazing runners. :S

Species: Ryn

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Nastajja Arren wrote:. However, I'm sort of afraid that if you give some kind of run speed bonus that all the short people will suddenly become amazing runners. :S
That's the only part I'm worried about.

The OOC Gaming demon doth like to rise above thine RP realism, forsooth!

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Des Anaro
Lost One

Post by Des Anaro »

I too agree with the majority, but I like Amoné's and Sai's ideas. It would certainly make sense for someone who is focusing on Force Speed and other body augmentations to be a faster runner than someone who focuses on Telekinesis or Sense or Mind Trick because their training is much more physical (at least in my opinion).

About the "Faster" option though: We would either have to rely on people not to abuse it, or make it available only for those who are engaged in intense physical training (like Amoné or Olim) like running, jumping etc - again, this is just my opinion, but I too am worried that it could be over- or abused.
|Species_Human | Homeworld_Kashyyyk | Mentor_Sai Akiada | Padawan_Jel'a Vra |
Olim Adasca
Lost One

Post by Olim Adasca »

Perhaps a system where it can eventually be toggled on or off for specific people, having been approved through a request at the Council, with good sound reasons. Making it available for everyone would do more harm.
Olim Adasca || Age: 33 || Species: Arkanian || Height: 1.86 m || Weight: 106.7 kg || Initiated: 274.28 ABY || Homeworld: Arkania || Birthdate: 268.20 || Mentors : Sebastin Creed 279.29 - 296.28 || Retired: 302.13 ABY
"Never give up, never surrender."
"Before all else, your duty to others."
"Always make your own drinks."
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

I am against the universal walk/run speed too, for the aforementioned RP reasons. Meanwhile, this RPMod feature was implemented as soon as the first release (0.2) precisely for these RP reasons, so the current suggestion is rather a step backwards than an improvement.

Regarding Amoné's suggestion for a configurable run speed however, I think it would make sense to implement it as an "Ability" (for lack of a better word?) with points like Force powers. "Abilities" were discussed in other threads to provide better control over FP and HP thanks to "Force Attunement" and "Strength" powers (again, for lack of a better word), to which XP could be attributed. It could be the same for the running speed, in that a character should train to be better at running without relying on the Force.

Thoughts?

.. and no, I haven't given up on RPMod and still intend to release new versions of it :-)