Universal Walk/Run Speed

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Kieran Orion
Lost One

Re: Universal Walk/Run Speed

Post by Kieran Orion »

Soh Raun wrote:"Abilities" were discussed in other threads to provide better control over FP and HP thanks to "Force Attunement" and "Strength" powers (again, for lack of a better word), to which XP could be attributed. It could be the same for the running speed, in that a character should train to be better at running without relying on the Force.
I'm still a hopeful so it might not mean much but I definetly think this sounds like a positive step forward, for both in game/mod improvements and depth in Rp. It will give people a little extra initiative to aim for more in their training, I'm assuming.

Homeworld: Iridonia | Languages: Basic, Ul'Zabrak | Mentor: Amone Fayden | Jedi Knight | Circle of Artisans.

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

I love when Soh posts. <3

How would these "Ability" skills be applied? Would they show up in the Force Power list or be controlled via forum templates?

Also, if a Player's running speed was enchanced via this system, would there be a means to tone it down manually or would it be permentant?

I am thinking that if XP were assigned to "Run Speed" for example, one would just remove those purchased skills to return to normal speed?
The same way a person removes Saber Offense to unequip their hilt.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

The idea was to make "Abilities" show up in the Force Power list, and work the same way. So you could alter your template at any time to decrease or increase the level up to the one you "bought" with your XP.

That being said, it would probably be easier if you could bind a key to a command such as "/rptemplate speed 2", or +1 or -1 etc.
Ellana

Post by Ellana »

Ellana wrote:I'm sure most all know that the higher the model-scale you are, the faster you run/walk.

What I intend to suggest would be to have a universal walk/run speed. It isn't a big deal, but those with under 100% model-scale (Whether by IC age, or by permanent height) are at a disadvantage with those that have 100%+ model-scale.

If this would (and could) be implemented, it might encourage more people to RP as being short, rather than always going for the 'tall' 100%+ model-scales.

Perhaps an exception could be given to young kids, as realistically they could not run as fast as an adult.
It seems nobody read my entire post. I have put the last part of it in bold.

I'm not suggesting younglings to be apart of this. I'm more suggesting that people like Amone and others get higher speed.

Please read my entire post before you judge me. And saying 'No offense' and 'Not to be rude' doesn't make it any less rude.

I have no more to say.
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Ellana wrote:Please read my entire post before you judge me. And saying 'No offense' and 'Not to be rude' doesn't make it any less rude.
There's really no need to be so defensive all the time Ellana.
Nobody was criticizing you or judging you. Everything's fine. Relax. Really.
The posts so far have just been brainstorming on your original idea which is good.
That's what happens in these threads. Original ideas lead to new ideas and alternatives. Not everyone will agree with what you prescribe, that's just how it goes.

On your topic:
If you feel the model scale should be determiend by a sort of "age group" so that younglings are exempt, then perhaps walk/run speed could be determined by Rank or account instead. Just a thought. :)

However, the topic's progressed in a new direction/alternative and I'm quite interested to explore Soh's idea as that would allow shorter people to move quickly without being over 100% model scale. Just like you said:
Ellana wrote: If this would (and could) be implemented, it might encourage more people to RP as being short, rather than always going for the 'tall' 100%+ model-scales.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

No one was being offensive. 'No offence' and 'not to be rude' were likely thrown in because some people are hyper sensitive to criticism of their ideas, no matter how nicely worded. They were simply disagreeing while trying to be inoffensive at the same time.

In any case your 'exception' is still not what is being discussed now. It is in reverse. They're saying as standard, things should remain as it is but 'exceptions' could instead be given to those wishing to be advanced in physical fitness/speed.

| Age_50's | Race_Human | Padawan_Zeak Dystiny, Des Anaro, Zuri Lyn |

Johauna Darkrider
Lost One

Post by Johauna Darkrider »

Soh Raun wrote:.
..."Abilities" were discussed in other threads to provide better control over FP and HP thanks to "Force Attunement" and "Strength" powers (again, for lack of a better word), to which XP could be attributed. ...

Thoughts?
Well, now that'd be awesome and would give people a way to further customize their character, without needlessly relying on classes, which kind of make people uniform in a way; so all Guardians are basically the same, in terms of skills. That is one of reasons why I tend to just RP most of abilities, rather than to rely on the template.

If abilities like that were released, I'd even go as far as actually scratching the whole Guardian/Sentinel/Consular concept, as they'd be practically redundant & we could actually cook our characters the way we wanted.
age --|height_1.65m|weight_54kg|race_human|mentor_ergo.stomi|jamus.kevari|arkallon
Nira wrote:I guess medicine isn't quite at the stage of being able to deal with stubborn Corellians.
Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

That'd be cool, if you could purchase feats like that. For example something to do with piloting. Where if you don't have the skill bought you get low mouse sensitivity on vehicles and maybe camera shake (lol motion sickness.). You could think of a ton when considering game mechanics.

It could extend to anything! Use of blasters, natural force resistance, movement speed (whoa im on topic for once.), maybe some stealth feats (idk, would it be possible to have one player without footstep sounds?) and idk if sense already does this but you could have some empathy feats (how much health or force power someone has when sensing and aiming at them.) and whatever someone more creative than myself can think of! :D
Eugen Darkrider
Lost One

Post by Eugen Darkrider »

Well all know stuff like that is possible.. We just need tons of coding for it. (Which mod did that.. adding xp/ability points or whatever they were called, for different stuff. From forcepowers to saber to weapons)

So yea.. IF anyone remembers the mod.. OJP? Probably OJP.. can't remember again. But I got a feeling this Has been discussed before.. But if anything, maybe we could ask for some coding from them? Don't know. Having XP apply to a lot of other things is a 'great' idea in my opinion. (Will see more variety too! :o)

Anyhow. Think it might go a bit off topic so.. yea. :p

:: Goes back to playing League of Legends ::
Masters: Nira'kalen'nuruodo | Iverian Prey | Aslyn Denethorn
Elu Dako

Post by Elu Dako »

I believe the OJP source is very easy to obtain, since several other mods were coded using it such as the Legacy JKE mod.

Just need to know where to look, but OJP was incredibly unbalanced in all aspects, even the walking was sluggish.