Alzoc3_Enclave (Hevil) SkyBox Patch

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Kih Bu
Lost One

Alzoc3_Enclave (Hevil) SkyBox Patch

Post by Kih Bu »

This is just a little pk3 containing a new skybox that overwrites the default one we've been using for a while now. If you don't like this new one, simply delete the .pk3 from your Base folder and you'll never have to look at it again!

And nei, I did not make it myself. Enjoy!

If you would like a preview:
(File is attached at the bottom of the post)

Attachments
zSkyBox.zip
(872.74 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Last edited by Kih Bu on Thu May 17, 2012 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

-
JKHub | JEDI Videos | Files

i¯i▀▀▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך

Zuri Lyn
Lost One

Re: Alzoc3_Enclave (Hevil) SkyBox Patch

Post by Zuri Lyn »

That looks pretty cool :D

I was only wondering about some rp problems that could happen when someone starts describing the mountains and the other does not have the patch :P

Think that could be a problem?

Anyway, since I'm a lazy toad I probably won't download it, but I think it looks nice, so good find/work :D .
Kih Bu
Lost One

Post by Kih Bu »

To this day, I have never actively seen any player(s) discuss (IC) what they can see in the skybox. When we choose a map to settle on, it is usually agreed upon precisely what surrounds our area and this is referred to in game as the scenary rather than what we can actually see in the skybox. For example, the current skybox in use does not actually accurately reflect what we should all be able to see, but everyone consistently role-plays what they should be able to see - lots of snowy mountains in the distance.

Think of any Yavin map that exists. We don't always make the effort to replace the skybox manually or use shader commands to overwrite what you see. If we tell you all that you're on Naboo, you ignore Yavin Prime sitting in the sky whilst we're on the Yavin Valley map. :)

-

i¯i▀▀▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך

Elu Dako

Post by Elu Dako »

I used to talk about the lake in the distance but that was it really, I absolutely LOVE the new skybox Kih <3
Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

I wonder if its possible to make a night version with starry/dark overcast sky and darkened mountains.
Nastajja Arren
Lost One

Post by Nastajja Arren »

Easy peasy. I'll give it a shot but with me being busy this week it may not come 'til next week, unless someone else wants to take a crack at it.

Species: Ryn

Ellana

Post by Ellana »

Oberon wrote:I wonder if its possible to make a night version with starry/dark overcast sky and darkened mountains.
Here's the thing. Even if you change the skybox to a night version, it still won't feel like night really. The map essentially needs to be redone due to lighting and such.

That's why maps like a2_beta4 and Sai's new map ( :D ) have separate maps for day and night (as opposed to just simply changing the skybox).
Kieran Orion
Lost One

Post by Kieran Orion »

Couldn't the patch just be copied and edited to fit both night and day versions of Alzoc....That's providing Kih is willing to go to the effort. I don't know much about modding but I know Alzoc has two versions that would do it...Unless I'm mistaken ?

Homeworld: Iridonia | Languages: Basic, Ul'Zabrak | Mentor: Amone Fayden | Jedi Knight | Circle of Artisans.

Claus Lucis

Post by Claus Lucis »

Ellana wrote:
Oberon wrote:I wonder if its possible to make a night version with starry/dark overcast sky and darkened mountains.
Here's the thing. Even if you change the skybox to a night version, it still won't feel like night really. The map essentially needs to be redone due to lighting and such.

That's why maps like a2_beta4 and Sai's new map ( :D ) have separate maps for day and night (as opposed to just simply changing the skybox).
Actually I remember reading something about a map effect which makes the skybox automatically change from day to night and from night to day, and i also think there are a few lugermod maps that work that way, not sure though.
Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

Ellana wrote:
Or... you can just lower your gamma settings with r_gamma. :wink:
Kih Bu
Lost One

Post by Kih Bu »

Sadly this is no different than adjusting the brightness slider in the options menu, but it's still good for giving that nighttime effect! I'll just point out that on Alzoc in particular, most places are lit by fluorescent lights in the ceiling. So regardless of how dark it is outside, it would probably be around about the same inside all day in terms of light. Though sadly the rock and beams of light streaming in through certain windows might ruin the overall effect if you decide not to tamper with your brightness settings.

Bare in mind that doing so with the slider or r_gamma creates a lot of inconsistency between clients. So one character may RP that it's really dark, whilst another several feet away might comment that they're glad that it's so light all day and night inside (Pamela in particular used to do this whilst she was around, as a Zelosian).

I'm looking forward to having a proper rotation of night and day again. On the topic of night and day maps, I hope there's a fairer balance this time around than when we were at A2_beta, I hardly ever got to see the night version!

-

i¯i▀▀▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך

Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

I'm sure I had a night and day shader made but I can't find it right now. The new map will contain a night/day variant map though, at least.

| Age_50's | Race_Human | Padawan_Zeak Dystiny, Des Anaro, Zuri Lyn |

Nastajja Arren
Lost One

Post by Nastajja Arren »

Even though the lighting may not be perfect, we COULD all just use our imaginations. The skybox being changed to a night one would at least give reference to the brightness outside for people to refer to IC, and all be on the same page.

Species: Ryn

Kih Bu
Lost One

Post by Kih Bu »

Nastajja Arren wrote:Even though the lighting may not be perfect, we COULD all just use our imaginations. The skybox being changed to a night one would at least give reference to the brightness outside for people to refer to IC, and all be on the same page.
That sounds completely fair, but the bright white snow and rocks outside still detracts somewhat from complete immersion. Where and when it's within our ability to fix something, why detract from that?

-

i¯i▀▀▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך

Ommar
Lost One

Post by Ommar »

If I recall correctly, Soh implemented an admin command to change shaders that could be used for that purpose, if you choose to go through with this sky change idea.