Camera Flexibility

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Simus Cnydaria
Lost One

Camera Flexibility

Post by Simus Cnydaria »

I spent quite a bit of time doing throught he thousands of suggestions we have archived, and I didn't see a suggestion for this (though I apologize if I missed it) and if it's possible in the game client I'd love to see more flexibility with our camera movement.

Currently our camera looks out in front of us. Using commands, we can move the camera out, in, or change the angle, but for a quick look around memorizing and typing out all the code is a little tedious.

The Problem: we as Jedi are able to sense what's going on around us, and often who. But to observe in our academy often results in very jarring jerks of the whole body, or being surprised by someone behind you.

To provide clarity in what my suggestion is requestion I point to WoW. If you hold the right mouse button and look around, it moves your whole body around and changes your direction of movement like how our controls currently work in JKA. But if you hold the left mouse button and move your mouse around, your character doesn't move or shift direction, but your camera angle does so the player can look around.

If this is possible to implement in the game client I think it would help with our rp cadence.

That is my humble and respectful request.
Ellana

Re: Camera Flexibility

Post by Ellana »

I have a second suggestion to put on top of that sort of.

Whenever you are spectating in game over somebody, could we have it so that we are free to move around at the different angles, Like how MBII has it? Also, while I'm at it, could we have it that clicking the right mouse button while spectating will bring you back to the previous person you were spec-ing.
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

There are mods on JK3 files that allow you to easily change your point of view. There is also a few scripts on the forums that add simple bind to different camera angles.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Kih Bu
Lost One

Post by Kih Bu »

System A Mod - This mod adds slider bars to your screen when you tap ESC. Drag the bars to adjust the camera as you will. Click anywhere on the bars along the righthand side to flip that setting back to normal.

Failing that, you could perhaps bind the keys to the camera positions. Tap one button to look behind you, another to look forwards again.

I know what you're suggesting is a differnet thing, but this is the closest alternative for the time being! I'd love to see a toggleable button that enabled "free look" with the mouse. That'd be awesome. Kind of like what we already have when we're in vehicles. You stop the vehicle and you're able to move the mouse around to look in all directions whilst your character remains facing forwards.

-
JKHub | JEDI Videos | Files

i¯i▀▀▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

As the others have pointed out, there are optional mods for this sort of thing.
I myself use System A as Kih suggested.

The only way I could see a "free look" option working would be through a toggleble command.

So for example:

/bind K toggle_freelook

Pressing K would enable or disable free look.

While freelook is enabled, a player would need to use keys to yaw their player around since their mouse would no longer change their direction, but instead turn the camera.

It's a creative thought but all seems a bit messy in my most honest opinion.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

Yeah there's a ton of cute little effects you can pull off by toying with the cg_thirdperson* commands. cg_thirdpersoncameradamp .001 (or some similar value) is kind of fun, makes a sort of chase cam.

To get a fun new perspective on RP (or to make sure my character is not posed like an idiot) I like to pull out cg_thirdpersonrange -200 from time to time lol.

It's all there in the commands. But I've been looking for that mod Kih posted so I could have a gui for them :D Thanks Kih.
Simus Cnydaria
Lost One

Post by Simus Cnydaria »

Thanks for all your assistance. Honestly, what would I do without you guys? :)
Viden

Post by Viden »

My thanks as well. I was actually just thinking about this earlier.
Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

Simus Cnydaria wrote:Thanks for all your assistance. Honestly, what would I do without you guys? :)
Forever stare at the back of your head, sir :D

| Age_50's | Race_Human | Padawan_Zeak Dystiny, Des Anaro, Zuri Lyn |