Force Restriction Toggle

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Oberon
Lost One

Force Restriction Toggle

Post by Oberon »

It would be cool if administrators could temporarily restrict a force power from being used by specific players or all players.

The use of which could be to prevent players from running and jumping around or sensing things they're not supposed to in Galaxy events/stories.

Can't say how many times Sense has ruined what was supposed to be a surprise. :P
Ahkro Cerinla
Lost One

Re: Force Restriction Toggle

Post by Ahkro Cerinla »

Well, in the case of senses, these are trained and meant to avoid surprises, I believe. :P
Species: Thyrsian | Born: 289.20 | Age:24 | Initiated:304.15 | Height: 1.83 | Weight: 84.2kg | Languages: Thyrsian mimetics, Basic, Huttese (Fluent), Shyriiwook (Understanding), Bocce (Fluent), Zabraki (Fluent)
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

*Hm* See, I tend to agree with both statements here.

RP wise, yes we do train our senses extensively to be more aware of everything around us more than non force-sensitive.

OOC story wise, I can see the point for this - but it would be something that would have to be monitored so that it wasn't abused and also users would have to remember to reset everything as soon as they were finished with it.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Sense is largely OOC and I agree with Oberon.

To have Sense activated constantly would tire a Jedi out. (And before anyone pulls out the Miraluka card, that's a completely different argument! :P )

There have been plenty of Jedi that have been jumped or otherwise caught off guard or surprised. On top of that, Jedi senses are largely meant to be "Danger Senses", not knowing the name, weight, weaponry and underwear colour of the person in the next room.
As far as story telling goes, Sense destroys plot devices which can be damaging to the overall experience or "shock factor".

I'd support this suggestion if it is possible, though with the obvious disciplinary methods attached should it become abused or used as a Power-gaming tool.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Amoné Fayden wrote:Sense is largely OOC and I agree with Oberon.

To have Sense activated constantly would tire a Jedi out. (And before anyone pulls out the Miraluka card, that's a completely different argument! :P )

There have been plenty of Jedi that have been jumped or otherwise caught off guard or surprised. On top of that, Jedi senses are largely meant to be "Danger Senses", not knowing the name, weight, weaponry and underwear colour of the person in the next room.
As far as story telling goes, Sense destroys plot devices which can be damaging to the overall experience or "shock factor".

I'd support this suggestion if it is possible, though with the obvious disciplinary methods attached should it become abused or used as a Power-gaming tool.
Order 66. :mrgreen:

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

The way I've seen sense is that while Jedi inherently all have precognitive abilities, they can't always act/react upon them. Contrary to how some of us play our characters, Jedi are not invincible. I agree with your suggestion Oberon, I just get a bad picture of it being overused and blocking things that a character might actually be able to see; not to mention the obvious risks of abuse.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

Oberon wrote:It would be cool if administrators could temporarily restrict a force power from being used by specific players or all players.
It was for this reason that we ended up with the current class system set up. All that was required then, and now, is a little self restraint and encouragement to role-play realistically.

Role-play failure is good, people!

I'd rather not have someone else dictate my actions. Nor would I be interested in forcing that on someone else unless there is an abuse issue. Either way, a change in role-play attitude is needed.

For those reasons, I wouldn't like to see this one, sorry. I'd rather see folks encouraging better role-play. Lead by example :)

| Age_50's | Race_Human | Padawan_Zeak Dystiny, Des Anaro, Zuri Lyn |

Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

Honestly this suggestion wasn't made as a deterrent for spam or anything like that. But keeping in mind specific things administrators may want to accomplish.

Hiding things to create a suspenseful atmosphere without someone unwittingly seeing it through the walls in advance. Disallowing you to jump over/speed through a hall or obstacle so that you don't miss some important event.

Overall, it's to reclaim that shock factor Amoné talked about. It's really not a matter of self restraint, but preventing slip ups that usually ruin an element of surprise of the director.

Using Force powers during "cinematic" parts of Galaxy scenarios has, in my experience, more often than not resembled flipping to the last page of a book and reading its contents.
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Oberon wrote: Using Force powers during "cinematic" parts of Galaxy scenarios has, in my experience, more often than not resembled flipping to the last page of a book and reading its contents.
Agreed.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Simulations too, where we have Knights or Students playing Mercs with full use of Sense and Jump and Heal.

The under-laying line is that 90% of the time, you can't trust people not to cheat, unwittingly or not. I think this would be usefull at times but I understand people's feelings on "training people" and the possibility of abuse.

Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

How do you explain in-character when the person in question can't sense or jump as they normally would? "WTH my ability to use the Force has inexplicitly disappeared!! Noo!"

It's better to encourage people to start thinking more sensibly about their role-play and use of power I.M.O, than to inexplicably cuff them so that they follow the linear path you want them to follow.

Ahkro Cerinla
Lost One

Post by Ahkro Cerinla »

In reply to Amone's comment:
I fully agree with that, but I believe that could simply be solved by Knights/Masters not using their Jedi character accounts for mercs.
Species: Thyrsian | Born: 289.20 | Age:24 | Initiated:304.15 | Height: 1.83 | Weight: 84.2kg | Languages: Thyrsian mimetics, Basic, Huttese (Fluent), Shyriiwook (Understanding), Bocce (Fluent), Zabraki (Fluent)
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Sai Akiada wrote:How do you explain in-character when the person in question can't sense or jump as they normally would? "WTH my ability to use the Force has inexplicitly disappeared!! Noo!"

It's better to encourage people to start thinking more sensibly about their role-play and use of power I.M.O, than to inexplicably cuff them so that they follow the linear path you want them to follow.
It's my honest opinion that you'll never remove the "I need to win the game" mentality out of people. :P

As for your example - you're right. In "reality" sudden loss of Force Abilities wouldn't happen to Jedi unless there were outside factors such as the rare few Planets void of the Force or in the presence of Ysalamiri.

I do understand what you are saying Sai. We've done a lot over the years to try abolish power-gaming and this suggestion could potentially be abused or forced on players unfairly.

My thoughts, however, are more in-line with the Simulator.
Trying to explain the Simulation Room has always been a vague "Lets not go there" thing and the suspension of disbelief is required in order to make it an entertaining experience, but being able to "Disable Features" within the simulator in an IC fashion would be good.

Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

Amoné Fayden wrote:My thoughts, however, are more in-line with the Simulator.
Trying to explain the Simulation Room has always been a vague "Lets not go there" thing and the suspension of disbelief is required in order to make it an entertaining experience, but being able to "Disable Features" within the simulator in an IC fashion would be good.
There is already an easy fix for this. I can just make a 'Simulator' account or ask them to log out.

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Sai Akiada wrote: There is already an easy fix for this. I can just make a 'Simulator' account or ask them to log out.
The situations where people are playing their Jedi characters though? They can't rightly log out as that will remove their Lightsaber and affect their model scale.
Having multilpe accounts to manage would really be more hassle than it's worth.
(Think of maintaining XP grants as well as monitoring multiple templates)

In the end if it's not feasible it's not feasible.

Motoko
Lost One

Post by Motoko »

Even though I'm new, I've done my homework and looked through a lot of posts from the past and I've seen this as a constant issue.

In all my time, in any game, in any type of community, I have never seen a situation where no one bent or abused the rules or voluntaritly limited their abilities, no matter how appropriate it would have been. I am of the sincere belief that it's in the very core of human nature to do so, and that it's virtually impossible to override that nature in players. (GMs are a different story, and another post entirely)

I think having the ability to turn those sorts of abilities off is completely necessary. Not just for the above, but as previously stated, to help build a cinematic event. In my PnP games, the running joke was the GM would put up their hands and simulate the scene going into letterbox, indicating that what was about to be described could not be interrupted. It's not even an uncommon device in all sorts of PC games. JKA itself was rife with them and they were all used to great effect.