Word Emphasis in RP

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Oberon
Lost One

Word Emphasis in RP

Post by Oberon »

Hello fellow JEDI members and guest RPers,

In role play, what do you prefer using to denote emphasized words? Reply below since polls have been disabled. Note this isn't saying how you think all people should do it or whatever, just what you prefer or think is easiest to read.
  • -word-
  • *word*
  • WORD
  • "I prefer everyone be Queen Amidala and not emphasize anything."
If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's an example using the first method.

"No, I don't you -not- to do that."

"*Oh*, there -was- a Rancor. Great..."

Tell us what you think!
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Re: Word Emphasis in RP

Post by Delmi N'jork »

I use all of those, but for different things:
  • -word-: I'll use to literally emphasize something.
  • *word*: As JEDI tips says, this is used to show that it's a verbalised sound: *Hm* *Mm* *Oh* *Ah*, etc.
  • WORD: I'd use for anger or yelling (over winds, engines, battle sounds, etc)
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

I personally do the -this- style.
The reason being, is I can't really stand all capped words, and *this* is what's normally used for sounds such as *Oh* or *Hm*...at least to me.

And as for the yelling.. I simply go the extra mile and write that I'm raising my voice :P
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Rash Loist
Lost One

Post by Rash Loist »

Delmi wrote:I use all of those, but for different things:
  • *word*: As JEDI tips says, this is used to show that it's a verbalised sound: *Hm* *Mm* *Oh* *Ah*, etc.

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. What Delmi said is exactly what we've used and what I will keep using for as long as I am in JEDI.
Rita Sandria
Lost One

Post by Rita Sandria »

I usually do *this* for audible sounds; Oh, um, ahh, hmm and all that, since that's what the rules ask us to do.

I do -this- for putting emphasis on words but sometimes I forget and I'll do *this*. People get what I mean either way so I don't worry to much about mixing it up. I think its okay for people to do either - - or * *, whatever they prefer but 90% of the time I do - -

For yelling I type out ::Yells over wind:: or something. As long as people get what you're trying to convey, through ::actions:: or caps I don't think it matters.

Also: "I prefer everyone be Queen Amidala and not emphasize anything."
I lol'd
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

*Hm* I'm not sure I really have a certain *style* to emphasising my words or anything, but I guess you could say that people will always get the... idea... when I attempt to do something.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

Rules and tips wrote: Audible sounds that are not words should maintain an asterisk (*) at the beginning and end of the audible noise.
=Sai=Akiada=::JEDI::: *Huh*? Oh yes *mhmm* I understand now.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Delmi wrote:
Rules and tips wrote: Audible sounds that are not words should maintain an asterisk (*) at the beginning and end of the audible noise.
=Sai=Akiada=::JEDI::: *Huh*? Oh yes *mhmm* I understand now.
*Mhmm*! Even though all words are sounds and the *Mhmm* is technically a humming tune. Regardless, not sure if this is really worth while discussing - not because I'm being condecending or nothing, just that everyone should do what they feel comfortable doing and as long as you don't over complicate it to the absurd.

::Makes a humming sound:: *-MHMM-!!* ::Making a tense face as he sounds out his agreement:: I agree!

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Nastajja Arren
Lost One

Post by Nastajja Arren »

Delmi wrote:I use all of those, but for different things:
This is exactly how I use it.

Species: Ryn

Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

Well, as for shouting I certainly prefer just slapping an exclamation mark on the end of the line accompanied with an action that explains the context. Afterall, there's a big difference in an excited greeting "Hey!" and an enraged outburst, "Hey!" or whatever you've got.

But yeah I'm right with you guys; -emphasis- *onomatopoeia* ''impression or quote'' (double apostrophes for jka)
Roahu
Lost One

Post by Roahu »

I don't prefer everyone be like Amidala :D As long as there's mutual understanding of the point trying to be conveyed I'm for whatever. As Delmi mentioned earlier though, asterisks are standard convention for audible sounds so that would make it awkward if they were used to emphasize other words, but the point could still be understood if they were.
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

If somebody wrote:
That is *not* what I meant.
Instead of:
That is -not- what I meant.
Then I would still understand they were emphasizing the word.

To-mah-to, To-may-to.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Simus Cnydaria
Lost One

Re:

Post by Simus Cnydaria »

Amoné Fayden wrote:If somebody wrote:
That is *not* what I meant.
Instead of:
That is -not- what I meant.
Then I would still understand they were emphasizing the word.

To-mah-to, To-may-to.
I don't think I've ever seen anyone do -this- before in the server, and I've always done *this* myself quite frequently since my speaking style involves a *lot* of emphasized words, but I'd be happy to switch styles if it was deemed inappropriate or improper.
Zuri Lyn
Lost One

Post by Zuri Lyn »

I always used the * (asterisk) for both onomatopoeias and emphasised words, while still understanding the users of the - (dash) when they use it context.

I don't mind any of the uses of the two above.

Concerning CAPITALS, I prefer rarely using them, but will occasionally use them if in a hurry (being shot at trigger-happy guards, for example ! ) or stuff like that. Of course, I wouldn't like them being used them too often.

Amoné wrote:To-mah-to, To-may-to.
(Though on that subject, I say it the first way ! :P )
Motoko
Lost One

Post by Motoko »

Sebastin Creed wrote:*Hm* I'm not sure I really have a certain *style* to emphasising my words or anything, but I guess you could say that people will always get the... idea... when I attempt to do something.
Although I usually stick to the method laid out in the tips section, I've been using *this* for years and revert now and again. No one seems to have trouble understanding what I'm doing.