Mobile Forums

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Mobile Forums

Post by Illrian Damaris »

Well, I've been thinking about this a lot over the past couple weeks and felt that perhaps it was time I posted about it. I know that when you get onto the main site using your mobile device, you have the mobile version...most likely because its wordpress and its a built-in feature.

However I was curious if there was a way we could also get it where when we access the forums, they're more of a mobile set? Instead of seeing the actual forums.. I only bring this up cause I know it could make navigating the forums easier when on a mobile device, and I know that I get on them quite often using my phone.

I'm not sure if its possible with the way these forums are designed, but I figured why not bring up the idea just in case.
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Re: Mobile Forums

Post by Delmi N'jork »

If possible, I'd support this as well!
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

Back in the old days of the phpBB2 forum, Corinth had convinced me to make it accessible with the TouchBB iPhone app. It turns out I completely forgot about this when migrating to phpBB3 (with the new integrated look), but I just re-enabled compatibility with TouchBB... so if you have an iDevice, you may want to give it a try.

I haven't looked into alternatives yet (particularly for Android users), if you spot an interesting one don't hesitate to share it. :)

As a side note: this suggestion should have been made in this thread instead, but nevermind for this time.
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

I honestly was trying to think where I should have put this, and decided when all else failed to do it here.. but I'll do that from now on Soh!

As for alternatives for the Android (given that's what I have, and probably a good portion of JEDI still), I've been looking around other forums that talk about an Android Forum Reader, and the most talked and praised that I could discover was Tapatalk.

Currently still looking for alternatives that are free for a regular user to download, but at the same time I don't know if I'd have to download the Tapatalk app from the Play Store if its installed on the site to be used, but I'd imagine I would? I'm rather new to the idea of them so...

But yeah, if you could take a look at Tapatalk and let me know if that's something you'd look into using for JEDI, then awesome! :D
aayla vigil |
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Alright, so I bit the bullet and bought the Tapatalk app for my Android phone, wasn't all that expensive but I was just hoping to find a better, free product, but was unable to do so.. I've been testing it out going to a different forum that I was once a member on (still am...just don't get on anymore).

From what I can tell, it works really nicely. You still have access to the entire forum as you're supposed to, and in my opinion its pretty easy to navigate through the sections. I'm able to log into my own account like normal and everything. Of course, there is the downfall of having to pay for the app, but at the end of the day its working well and I personally don't have the issue with spending the couple bucks to make things far easier..

I don't think you have to pay to get it onto the forums.. but I think you could find that out easier than I, Soh! :D
aayla vigil |
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

*Hm* I'm not really clued up in all this, but I wanted to add that I am typing this from my android mobile right now after connecting through the internet. I see everything fine as well as all the normal functions. I could even see videos and the pictures from the home page.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Arukh Bakh'tor
Lost One

Post by Arukh Bakh'tor »

Sebastin Creed wrote:*Hm* I'm not really clued up in all this, but I wanted to add that I am typing this from my android mobile right now after connecting through the internet. I see everything fine as well as all the normal functions. I could even see videos and the pictures from the home page.
x2

|name_arukh.bakh'tor|age_30|rank_padawan|mentor_tergos.zemnos|

Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Well I'm not saying we can't! Lol.. I'm more trying to see if there's a way we can actually get a mobile version setup, instead of loading up the actual site. Cause I know that with mine, it loads up the actual site itself...and I just find it slightly harder to work around the site then I would for a Mobile version, but that may just be me.

Not saying something isn't working right; more just seeing if there's a way to make it.. 'easier' to use for some of us who don't like having to zoom in just to hit the correct topic and not the one above or below, or clicking on the members name that posted it.
aayla vigil |
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Illrian Damaris wrote:Well I'm not saying we can't! Lol.. I'm more trying to see if there's a way we can actually get a mobile version setup, instead of loading up the actual site. Cause I know that with mine, it loads up the actual site itself...and I just find it slightly harder to work around the site then I would for a Mobile version, but that may just be me.

Not saying something isn't working right; more just seeing if there's a way to make it.. 'easier' to use for some of us who don't like having to zoom in just to hit the correct topic and not the one above or below, or clicking on the members name that posted it.
Ah I get it, well I wouldn't be opposed to trying that out! have at it.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

Alright, you may give Tapatalk a try with our forum, theoretically I just installed the server-side components... Let us know if it works. :)
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Hm, well I have to ask...what type of tags were added? If there are tags...cause I know to find the site like the Jedi Temple site, I searched "Jedi" and it brought up a vast amount of "Jedi" sites, however ours did not come up.. :/
aayla vigil |
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

Hmm I hadn't registered the forum on Tapatalk's public list, but I guess it brings no harm.. so I just did. It should show up as "JEDI Comport", in the "Games" > "Clan and Guild" category.
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

There we go! I have access to the forums through Tapatalk! I'm quite the happy camper now. Awesome work Soh, thank you so much!
aayla vigil |
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |