Let us take a moment to mourn.

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Dajo Yalthik

Re: Let us take a moment to mourn.

Post by Dajo Yalthik »

Ravensoft just runs the server that has the server list on it. Now that the source code's released, modders could totally set up a redundant server listing that uses DNS-style top-down architecture to keep up a list of all the servers running right now.

But we won't have to worry about that until Ravensoft says they're no longer supporting a server list... that's, like, 200kb big, maybe.
kawan Iluri

Post by kawan Iluri »

Hello everybody.

Based on my experience,the release of the code could bring a new batch of cheaters.Kids who want to demonstrate what they know.

Moreover,anyone can take the code and compile his own copy of the game,but it seems pretty unlikely :mrgreen: (Ten bucks on steam) ,anyway if I remember correctly "Enemy territory" (id software) ended up being released in binary version.

Thanks for the information.
Species: Rattataki | Born: 302.20 | Age:10 | Studying about the Order |

Arukh Bakh'tor
Lost One

Post by Arukh Bakh'tor »

Sared Kilvan wrote:A lot could happen!
I pray we can update some of the Force powers, maybe even add some entirely new features. Or maybe a game developer can get a hold of the code and update it entirely for a new engine and new game release. Ooh.

|name_arukh.bakh'tor|age_30|rank_padawan|mentor_tergos.zemnos|

Roahu
Lost One

Post by Roahu »

Oberon wrote:Ravensoft is still in full swing.
I googled them, and just realized I live 5 minutes from their HQ.
Esth Me'sku
Lost One

Post by Esth Me'sku »

I am interested to see what Soh Raun says about this :) Lets here from him!

(..Please?)

Initiated_311.25 : Novinced_314.12 : Apprenticed_321.05 : Age_20 : Mentor_Delmi N'jork

Skrassk
Lost One

Post by Skrassk »

I think I can safely say Disney have gone from being beloved by many to hated by many now.

::Arms assault rifle::
Munro Olar
Lost One

Post by Munro Olar »

Can't say LucasArts has done anything decent in the past couple of years, while I did find 1313 interesting, it looked like a star wars version of Uncharted and First Assault didn't look that good to me but hey, maybe we'll get a Kingdom Hearts with Star Wars or an rpg from obsidian :D

Dajo Yalthik

Post by Dajo Yalthik »

...On a completely unrelated note, I looked through some of the code and it's freaking hilarious. I love these guys.
Virtuo Alegan
Lost One

Post by Virtuo Alegan »

I would buy a Kingdom Hearts game if it had Star Wars in it, that would be BADASS!
Virtuo Alegan | Homeworld: Corellia | Species: Epicanthix | Age: 39 | Next Birthday: 343.10 | Rank: Masterless Padawan | Initiated: 314.09 | Noviced: 317.08| Mentors: Kiwron Tirladdik/Rash Loist/Delmi N'jork | Apprenticed: 317.13 | Pilot License: PL-1
Zuri Lyn
Lost One

Post by Zuri Lyn »

Dajo Yalthik wrote:...On a completely unrelated note, I looked through some of the code and it's freaking hilarious. I love these guys.
Totally true :D The comments they put are great.

eg : [Weird code gibberish]: // there IS a reason this is done...it's so that it doesn't break every effect in the game...
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

So, fun story that I thought some of you might get a kick out of.

I got into playing JO around 2003-ish, from Massassi.net still fresh off the heels of MotS and still toasty with JK community support, and discovered thejediacademy.net. Found out the admin lived a few minutes away and was also a huge nerd, been friends ever since. Guy named c1 had created a custom admin mod (relatively simple stuff, executing server commands and admin privileges).

A young guy named Orion showed up there not long after I did, had a knack for code and was going to school.
Ended up taking over the mod development after c1 peaced out.
Graduated school and got a job at Raven.
I end up pestering him for the next six or seven years about who I need to beg to get JO/JA's source code released.
Some guy on another board starts up a petition to release said code. Get's some traction. Doesn't go anywhere.
I move on to other games.

I wake up the other day, pop open Reddit, and read the news about Lucasarts. Bum story. They made a lot of titles I grew up with, but they've been doing poorly for years.

At lunch, a convo window in G+ pops up from Orion.

"So I was walking by my boss's office today..."

Tells me he heard conversation about the Lucasarts that could lead to the code getting dropped.

Kotaku story hits that evening and bam. It's live.

The End!

Anywho, the story I'm researching is how Lucasarts' closure affected their intellectual property agreements with Raven to allow them to release JO/JA's code.

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

From what I read, the Source Code of the single player is what is being released.
There are 3rd party licensing involved in the mulitplayer code which prevents Raven from releasing it.

I'm unsure how much use this really is as I'm unaware how single player code and multiplayer code differentiate. As far as I'm aware, the JKA community has survived as long as it has grossly because of the multiplayer, not it's single player.

Soh may be able to cherry pick little things if he's inclined but JKA-Multiplayer isn't going to become the next gen MMO.

One thing that Syrena mentioned to me however, was that it could open the doors to improving the modding tools that JO and JKA uses such as Modview (And Radiant maybe?).

As for Lucas Arts going down, I'm not that fussed. At least we'll see the end of their convoluted canon-twisting titles!
After JKA in 2003 (10 years ago, mind), I haven't been that interested in a single release they've made. It's a shame to see any contributer of the gaming industry go away but it's like the end of Twinkie production.
I never ate Twinkies.

Sure, if somebody comes along and phoenixes them back onto the shelves I'm sure it'll make some people happy and create jobs.

But I still don't eat Twinkies.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Esth Me'sku
Lost One

Post by Esth Me'sku »

Amoné Fayden wrote:It's a shame to see any contributer of the gaming industry go away but it's like the end of Twinkie production.
I never ate Twinkies.

Sure, if somebody comes along and phoenixes them back onto the shelves I'm sure it'll make some people happy and create jobs.

Twinkies are coming back! http://thestir.cafemom.com/food_party/1 ... _back_from

Maybe LucasArts will :D

Initiated_311.25 : Novinced_314.12 : Apprenticed_321.05 : Age_20 : Mentor_Delmi N'jork

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Esth Me'sku wrote:
Amoné Fayden wrote:It's a shame to see any contributer of the gaming industry go away but it's like the end of Twinkie production.
I never ate Twinkies.

Twinkies are coming back! http://thestir.cafemom.com/food_party/1 ... _back_from

Fayden has been schooled.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Sebastin Creed wrote: Fayden has been schooled.
Noooooooo:
Esth Me'sku wrote:Twinkies are coming back! http://thestir.cafemom.com/food_party/1 ... _back_from

This was my point. :P

What i'm saying is, If it happens, I'll just be offering them my most polite indifferent shrug!

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion