Force Speed FP Cost

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Arukh Bakh'tor
Lost One

Force Speed FP Cost

Post by Arukh Bakh'tor »

Hey,

I was recently cycling through powers in base when I was testing my model out and I realised that level 1, 2 and 3 all cost 50FP. I decided to ask Alekh to hop ingame and emp me (considering I don't have level 2 or 3 speed) so I could test it out to see if it was the same in RPMod. It costs 50FP to dart or boost speed at level 3! That's insane!

What I'm suggesting is that, like the duration of the power, it costs less as levels get higher, because honestly a practicioner of speed (myself for example) who wants to use the power for quick bursts of speed can't afford to lose 50FP every time I do so. It doesn't seem balanced. So I'm proposing:

Speed level 1 - 50FP (BaseJKA 10 seconds duration)
Speed level 2 - 40FP (BaseJKA 15 seconds duration)
Speed level 3 - 30FP (BaseJKA 20 seconds duration)
Speed level 4 - 15FP (25 seconds duration)
Speed level 5 - 10FP (30 seconds duration)

Personally I think this might enable the desire for people to purchase higher levels of speed, not just level 1 or 2. And I personally know I'll heighten the levels of speed if it promises me a longer duration and cheaper purchase, which reflects ICly a highly practiced user of force speed, or force dart.

Thoughts?

|name_arukh.bakh'tor|age_30|rank_padawan|mentor_tergos.zemnos|

Alehk Thol
Lost One

Re: Force Speed FP Cost

Post by Alehk Thol »

Though I can see exactly where you're coming from, I'm personally against the idea. Yes, Force Speed costs a hefty amount in the beginning, but as you progress with your character, your Force pool increases as well. The dent Force Speed makes becomes less and less in comparison with your increased FP. The dent that using Force Speed does make is necessary, I feel, as I believe you should not be able to constantly use a variety of Force abilities in rapid succession.
Ahkro Cerinla
Lost One

Post by Ahkro Cerinla »

One or the other. An increase in duration next to a decrease in cost as you propose, is imbalanced at its core. Perhaps a cost reduction is warranted towards level four and five, but not before. As Alehk said, issue with powers in rapid succession.
Species: Thyrsian | Born: 289.20 | Age:24 | Initiated:304.15 | Height: 1.83 | Weight: 84.2kg | Languages: Thyrsian mimetics, Basic, Huttese (Fluent), Shyriiwook (Understanding), Bocce (Fluent), Zabraki (Fluent)
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Embarrassingly, I was supposed to write up a Speed and Fury overhaul for Soh a long time ago and I never got to it.

My personal thoughts on Speed are to change the speeds and duration.
There needs to be a benefit and reward for investing time and XP into the ability. Too many people take it at level one and demonstrate faster speed movement than Masters with level 5 because of their model scale. It's unrealistic and quite cheap.

Rarely does anyone use a full "cast" of speed. They normally cut it short manually so increasing the duration is somewhat pointless practically.

I personally feel it should be something more like this:
  • Speed level 1 - 50FP 3 seconds duration 20% speed boost
    Speed level 2 - 50FP 6 seconds duration 40% speed boost
    Speed level 3 - 50FP 15 seconds duration 60% speed boost
    Speed level 4 - 40FP 25 seconds duration 80% speed boost
    Speed level 5 - 40FP 30 seconds duration 100% speed boost
Keep in mind... Players should be limited to the amount of level 5 Abilities they are allowed. Those taking any skill to level 5 should be seen as "Mastering" the ability as a personal interest or discipline. Not a casual collection of random skills.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Arukh Bakh'tor
Lost One

Post by Arukh Bakh'tor »

Amoné Fayden wrote: I personally feel it should be something more like this:
Along with the previous additions to my suggestion, this list pretty much takes the cake. It'll definitely increase the desire to develop levels in speed. I agree.

|name_arukh.bakh'tor|age_30|rank_padawan|mentor_tergos.zemnos|

Ahkro Cerinla
Lost One

Post by Ahkro Cerinla »

Arukh Bakh'tor wrote:
Along with the previous additions to my suggestion, this list pretty much takes the cake. It'll definitely increase the desire to develop levels in speed. I agree.
^ This
Species: Thyrsian | Born: 289.20 | Age:24 | Initiated:304.15 | Height: 1.83 | Weight: 84.2kg | Languages: Thyrsian mimetics, Basic, Huttese (Fluent), Shyriiwook (Understanding), Bocce (Fluent), Zabraki (Fluent)
Esth Me'sku
Lost One

Post by Esth Me'sku »

Ahkro Cerinla wrote:
Arukh Bakh'tor wrote:
^ This
^^

Initiated_311.25 : Novinced_314.12 : Apprenticed_321.05 : Age_20 : Mentor_Delmi N'jork

Jerex Sol
Lost One

Post by Jerex Sol »

While I am in the business of necromancy, this one needs to be discussed further as well. I have heard many people claim that Speed needs to be reworked, and made more useful in the later levels. This thread has already given ideas on how to do that, and I see no reason for this to stop being explored.
Species: Arkanian| Born: 302.23| Languages: Arkanian, Basic| Initiated: 316.17| Noviced: 320.25 | Knighted: 340.20 | Mastered: 372.03