Name Colors

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Which colour combination would like to see?

Purple & Orange
28%
Purple & Brown
3%
Purple & Dark Green
15%
Orange & Brown
36%
Orange & Dark Green
10%
Brown & Dark Green
8%

Total votes: 39

Esth Me'sku
Lost One

Name Colors

Post by Esth Me'sku »

Is it possible to re-code and add more colors to the game? Make things more brighter and colorful? :)

Initiated_311.25 : Novinced_314.12 : Apprenticed_321.05 : Age_20 : Mentor_Delmi N'jork

Arukh Bakh'tor
Lost One

Re: Name Colors

Post by Arukh Bakh'tor »

Like an RGB concept for colours, or even a HTML one with hexadecimal codes. That would be great.

|name_arukh.bakh'tor|age_30|rank_padawan|mentor_tergos.zemnos|

Roza Wheikn

Post by Roza Wheikn »

I'd support simplified hex for colors (0-f for each color instead of 0-f,0-f for each color - so orange would be f70) just to keep it concise. 256-bit for color names is just a bit excessive =P
Last edited by Roza Wheikn on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syrena Exan
Lost One

Post by Syrena Exan »

I think people have been trying to do this for ages, but I've never seen anyone accomplish it. Maybe Soh can work his magic. Even if we didn't have RGB, I wouldn't mind some other basic colors we don't have. Namely a darker green (similar to how we have cyan and dark blue), a proper non-pinky purple, orange, and grey.

Species: Falleen | Age: 116 | Mentor: Jared Quell | Padawans: Kaelen Sekura, Kantha Maitri, Salvong, Var Dalledos, Claude Varron

Skrassk
Lost One

Post by Skrassk »

I'd love to see this implemented for the server, it's getting harder to pick a unique scheme for your name that isn't already taken.
Ahkro Cerinla
Lost One

Post by Ahkro Cerinla »

Well, that's not entirely true if you account for a potential 10 seperate colours of which you might use four in a unique scheme should you wish to (6561 combinations), but I do get the point. Orange would be a great addition, as would purple. :)
Species: Thyrsian | Born: 289.20 | Age:24 | Initiated:304.15 | Height: 1.83 | Weight: 84.2kg | Languages: Thyrsian mimetics, Basic, Huttese (Fluent), Shyriiwook (Understanding), Bocce (Fluent), Zabraki (Fluent)
Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

Facepalm.

There's only eight colors and I would never want to meet the person who would follow that algorithm because we'd end up with a bunch of rainbow colored unsymmetrical color schemes...

That would be awful.
Roza Wheikn

Post by Roza Wheikn »

Oberon wrote:we'd end up with a bunch of rainbow colored unsymmetrical color schemes...

That would be awful.
brb, reformatting name to be rainbow-puke.

The only problem I see with this is, AFAIK, the name colors aren't controlled by shaders, like saber colors/skin colors (if you have an RGB Species mod). So you'd either have to package a swatch of every color possible into a .pk3, or have the game back-end to a database with... a swatch of every color possible.

As far as making the colors go-go, like "#0ff=#ff0Ro#fffza#0ff=" (making it look like it does now - =Roza=), it shouldn't be that hard. You'd just have to switch the color references.

So yeah, the biggest obstacle I see is actually getting the color swatches in-game, or switching names over to a shader-based system.
Last edited by Roza Wheikn on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ahkro Cerinla
Lost One

Post by Ahkro Cerinla »

Oberon, I believe negative subjective comments on someone else's posts are not at all relevant, and I find it offensive.

That said, is it worth the trouble to code? As far as I can see, everyone has a personal color scheme they can work with
Species: Thyrsian | Born: 289.20 | Age:24 | Initiated:304.15 | Height: 1.83 | Weight: 84.2kg | Languages: Thyrsian mimetics, Basic, Huttese (Fluent), Shyriiwook (Understanding), Bocce (Fluent), Zabraki (Fluent)
Roza Wheikn

Post by Roza Wheikn »

I mean, I don't know exactly how much work it'd be to switch names over to RGB-based shaders. It could be quick and painless or it could be arduous and make my fingers bleed.

If it's relatively straightforward, though, I'd say do it - I know I felt weird when I was trying to pick a color scheme because I avoided using already-taken ones, but I was also avoiding using color schemes of people who've left because I'd feel awkward. So for me, having new colors is definitely worth it, if only to avoid feeling awkward :P

Plus I want purple in my name...
Esth Me'sku
Lost One

Post by Esth Me'sku »

Well... I was just wanting more colors.

Initiated_311.25 : Novinced_314.12 : Apprenticed_321.05 : Age_20 : Mentor_Delmi N'jork

Syrena Exan
Lost One

Post by Syrena Exan »

More colors would lead to more possibilities. Right now a lot of people have extremely similar schemes because there are only so many you can do.

Species: Falleen | Age: 116 | Mentor: Jared Quell | Padawans: Kaelen Sekura, Kantha Maitri, Salvong, Var Dalledos, Claude Varron

Desma Marr

Post by Desma Marr »

I would imagine that if it was possible for the game engine someone would have done it by now in the decade since its release.

Most likely it would be impossible without an overly large and complex workaround that in the end isn't even worth the effort.

=Desma=Marr=
If I pull that blindfold off, will you die?
Species
Miraluka
Rank
Hopeful

Kieran Orion
Lost One

Post by Kieran Orion »

I'd be curious to see this employed, and wonder if we can't do it. Seeing RGB colors on lightsaber blades makes me consider believing it's possible though how I'd have no idea. I'm not that far into coding.

If Soh can do it, I'd be behind it 100%.

Homeworld: Iridonia | Languages: Basic, Ul'Zabrak | Mentor: Amone Fayden | Jedi Knight | Circle of Artisans.

Syrena Exan
Lost One

Post by Syrena Exan »

Perhaps with the release of the new coding Soh can work something out.