New force powers

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Azrael
Lost One

Re: New force powers

Post by Azrael »

When it comes to MT you can always add an extra trick you can do when it comes to your ingame level.

Level 1 - Basic distractions. A noise or the impression of something being there. Obviously wont work against a trained Jedi though.

Level 2 - Persuasion. Again, not likely to work against a Jedi or those races immune to Mind Tricks

Level 3 - 'Illusion.' The ability to 'turn invisible' or alter your appearance to a being of similar size and shape. You can choose to RP a distinct flaw in this such as being unable to conceal your lightsaber due to its unique Force signature or not being able to conceal your voice or something.

Level 4 - Same as 3 but able to take the form of beings of alternate shapes and sizes. Whatever small flaws you want in this you can take your pick of. Also able to create illusionary doubles of people or use 'effects' to create other illusions.

Level 5 - God mode. Basically a perfect mind trick.

Again these are all just ideas though and open to change by anyone. Your RP simply has to suit your level of Mind Trick though. Also people should not use any of it as an excuse to simply power level their way through the MT levels. You can all by just as creative with a number of other powers. You just need imagination.
|Species: Chiss | Homeworld: Coruscant | Mentors: Aeon Xarbon, Shimi Zaki | Padawans: Imil Ucindus, Kiwron Tirladdik, Munro Olar, Shakk'aven |Position:Jedi Master - Historian/Librarian
Arukh Bakh'tor
Lost One

Post by Arukh Bakh'tor »

Azrael wrote:You just need imagination.
Imagination = The key to roleplay.

|name_arukh.bakh'tor|age_30|rank_padawan|mentor_tergos.zemnos|

Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

Azrael wrote:Again these are all just ideas though and open to change by anyone. Your RP simply has to suit your level of Mind Trick though. Also people should not use any of it as an excuse to simply power level their way through the MT levels. You can all by just as creative with a number of other powers. You just need imagination.
Yup ^

Keep in mind also, these are supposed to be difficult. Mind trick is not a throw-away skill. Basic/subtle distractions would be easier but it's well established that maintaining any kind of illusion is draining, and takes years of training specifically in the field. These are all good ideas folks, but keep it subtle, and realistic to character :P

| Age_50's | Race_Human | Padawan_Zeak Dystiny, Des Anaro, Zuri Lyn |

Esth Me'sku
Lost One

Post by Esth Me'sku »

What about the other skills?

Jump is kind of basic. But push and pull. Perhaps make it to where we can expel small amounts that would cause a bottle to move, AKA a distraction? Or what could we do with telekinesis, in all?

Sense is pretty basic as well. Sensing someones presence as level 1. Level 2 would be like... Seeing through walls? 3 would be you could tell if someone is approaching from a large distance. 4 you can sense the truth in someone's actions?

Uhm... Absorption. Level 1 being able to slowly repel oncoming force techniques. 2 would be... absorbing the energy from the environment and the opponent all together...? 3 can be something more of.. Well I am not sure on this haha. But that is why I am asking.

The other abilities I honestly have no idea. But a final question to the other ones I've asked: Can we role play easy.moderate/intense abilities that RP mod doesn't give us? For instance. Morichro, tapas, force vision and/or insight, doppleganger, force travel (this one I am guessing would be an INTENSE ability...), or levitations? I always thought we were limited to what we can spend XP on.

Initiated_311.25 : Novinced_314.12 : Apprenticed_321.05 : Age_20 : Mentor_Delmi N'jork

Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

Esth Me'sku wrote:Morichro, tapas, force vision and/or insight, doppleganger, force travel (this one I am guessing would be an INTENSE ability...), or levitations? I always thought we were limited to what we can spend XP on.
Of course you can role-play additional skills not allowed for by game mechanics. We do this a lot but you have to take care to limit yourself. Game mechanics force us to progress slowly, where role-played skills don't have those limitations. But you must control yourself and not over power/master skills too quickly/easily.

For those you have mentioned, Force travel is the only one we don't permit. What you need to take into consideration however is:
  • Where do you learn these skills? From whom?
  • Does it make sense for your character?
  • Do you have the skill level for these abilities as a character?
  • Can you commit and back this skill up within role-play?
More so than game mechanic skills, role-played skills require far more conviction and commitment. So, think it through before diving in :)

As with all things, if you're at a fork in the road and the question is, "Am I allowed to do this?", simply nudge the Council and we'll let you know.

| Age_50's | Race_Human | Padawan_Zeak Dystiny, Des Anaro, Zuri Lyn |

Azrael
Lost One

Post by Azrael »

Sai Akiada wrote:
For those you have mentioned, Force travel is the only one we don't permit. What you need to take into consideration however is:
  • Where do you learn these skills? From whom?
  • Does it make sense for your character?
  • Do you have the skill level for these abilities as a character?
  • Can you commit and back this skill up within role-play?
Agree entirely with Sai here. Force Travel is one of those abilities that has the huge potential to be abused ICly and aside from that, in an in-universe perspective it caused almost instant corruption of the user.
Also as Sai said you have to take care as to how you learn these abilities and from whom. We've had instances of characters in the past being refused training in a particular ability because of their reputation. These characters then ran off for a week, re-emerged with that ability and when questioned on it claimed 'Oh, Master X taught it to me on Coruscant.' This is not good role-play as it doesn't involve other members and is, in a sense power-gaming.

If you want to learn and progress, learn from those around you not some magical character no one's ever seen before in another temple, especially if the supposed RP behind it either never even happens or is kept incredibly private.
|Species: Chiss | Homeworld: Coruscant | Mentors: Aeon Xarbon, Shimi Zaki | Padawans: Imil Ucindus, Kiwron Tirladdik, Munro Olar, Shakk'aven |Position:Jedi Master - Historian/Librarian
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Agreed completely with the above posts.

I may speak for myself here but members will always have my utmost admiration for under-playing their character's abilities and showing a more gradual learning curve.

It irritates me when I see people insta-learning things with no prior RP or previous interest as it undermines the hard effort and months of work that some others put into learning them. Powers should be self-regulated not collected as if they were Steam achievements.

Something to also consider is how a desire to learn far-fetched powers affects the RPers around you. Others can often be placed in an awkward situation where they are forced to react to something unrealistic you've done because they don't want to halt the RP. It's always worth thinking about the impact your choices have on others around you when you inevitably toss it in their face!

Be realistic (within Star Wars) and as Sai mentioned, if you are in doubt - shout! :)

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

That's the thing about adding Force Powers. Most of the time when it's come up in talks between members and myself they start to mention powers that are pretty rare or not generally accepted and in all likelihood not be added if there were ever to be a shuffle or change in the Force abilities.

At the moment, I think the way the Force powers are in RPMod are pretty good. Are there little tweaks we'd like to see here and there? Sure, but over all it's a good system.

Remember, as others have already said, it really comes down to creativity. I've seen people RP mindtrick as bending light. I personally use Sense to portray Delmi's natural sense of hearing/smell, paired with telepathic defenses rather than the whole "I sense a disturbance in the force" bit or the mix of absorb and protect to show Force deflection.

If you want to have something unique or portray a power differently, just give people a heads up. I've found most people are more than willing to help you out and play along. Remember RP is all about being creative and what not!
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Ahkro Cerinla
Lost One

Post by Ahkro Cerinla »

Delmi wrote:That's the thing about adding Force Powers. Most of the time when it's come up in talks between members and myself they start to mention powers that are pretty rare or not generally accepted and in all likelihood not be added if there were ever to be a shuffle or change in the Force abilities.

At the moment, I think the way the Force powers are in RPMod are pretty good. Are there little tweaks we'd like to see here and there? Sure, but over all it's a good system.
^
Species: Thyrsian | Born: 289.20 | Age:24 | Initiated:304.15 | Height: 1.83 | Weight: 84.2kg | Languages: Thyrsian mimetics, Basic, Huttese (Fluent), Shyriiwook (Understanding), Bocce (Fluent), Zabraki (Fluent)
Motoko
Lost One

Post by Motoko »

In all my time here, as many Knights can attest to, I have had no problem getting honest and frank answers from people when asking about what's appropriate for my character to take at a given time.

I will say that their advice often contradicts what I've heard from other players of my rank and below. Lesson: When in doubt, ask a Knight+.
Kieran Orion
Lost One

Post by Kieran Orion »

Motoko wrote:In all my time here, as many Knights can attest to, I have had no problem getting honest and frank answers from people when asking about what's appropriate for my character to take at a given time.

I will say that their advice often contradicts what I've heard from other players of my rank and below. Lesson: When in doubt, ask a Knight+.
With a Community as extensive as this one, peoples opinions will inevitably differ but if you're looking to extend on your character in a way that's going about learning, gaining a slight edge or new aspect to your characters development or plot that might lead you to hesitate in going about it, in the past I've pm'd the Council. Not just with Force abilities but other things like for example, coming across an Imperial IFF transponder (Real example). In the end, it wasn't the smartest of idea's and I ended up turning my back on it after some discussion with Sai, I believe it was, as well as Amone.

Point is, if it's questionable, the Council's there to give their advice. If they approve, there's no questioning it.

As for Role playing depth of Force abilities...What I'd say has already been said. I do my best to be in depth with my Role playing in game and out, but with Kieran he's never really been that huge on the force, never that skilled, it's always been his bigger fault. Telekinesis and Tutaminis are his only area's of experience aside from the usual sense and jump. It only really comes down to saber combat out on the field. You'd never catch him trying something like mind trick, heal or any of the others. Instead I took my character in a different direction, I pulled away from the force and tried to focus on a job/hobby/career opportunity - You all know to be Engineering and Mechanics.

I might be going slightly off topic here but I just wanted to point out that there's more then just the force and lightsabers, to being a Jedi!

Right, 'tis my two cents.

Homeworld: Iridonia | Languages: Basic, Ul'Zabrak | Mentor: Amone Fayden | Jedi Knight | Circle of Artisans.

Slinky

Post by Slinky »

sada
Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

My thoughts exactly.
Rita Sandria
Lost One

Post by Rita Sandria »

This isn't really a suggestion for a new Force power but one thing that has always irked me a little is how "Hold" lumps in "Force Choke" for its level 4 and 5. I would like to see Hold thrown in with the other Core Force abilities, and have Force Choke remain with the other "Dark side powers".

I know that, most times, people wind back their hold when they have level 4 and 5, especially in spars, which means their is no correlating link between your character's progression and the game mechanics beyond level 3 for simply sustained telekinesis.

I think Hold level 4 and 5 should drop the choke and simply rely on an increased Force efficiency or prolonged effect duration, maybe even easier maneuverability of the held target or allowing multiple targets, though I'd imagine that wouldn't be easily implemented.

Choke could quite easily exist as its own ability, and the power's availability could directly link with hold; Level 2 hold unlocks Level 1 choke, etc. Choke could start off by simply immobilizing targets on the ground, causing weak damage and evolve into what we currently have for the level 4 and 5 hold.

I'm not sure if this would compromise base compatibility but I really think these two abilities should become standalone... that's just me personally, maybe I'm alone on the matter.
Last edited by Rita Sandria on Fri May 17, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kieran Orion
Lost One

Post by Kieran Orion »

Rita Sandria wrote:This isn't really a suggestion for a new Force power but one thing that has always irked me a little is how "Hold" lumps in "Force Choke" for its level 4 and 5. I would like to see Hold thrown in with the other Core Force abilities, and have Force Choke remain with the other "Dark side powers".

I know the majority of the time, people wind back their hold when they have level 4 and 5, especially in spars, which means their is no correlating link between your character's progression and the game mechanics beyond level 3 for simply sustained telekinesis.

I think Hold level 4 and 5 should drop the choke and simply rely on an increased Force efficiency or prolonged effect duration, maybe even easier maneuverability of the held target or allowing multiple targets, though I'd imagine that wouldn't be easily implemented.

Choke could quite easily exist as its own ability, and the power's availability could directly link with hold; Level 2 hold unlocks Level 1 choke, etc. Choke could start off by simply immobilizing targets on the ground, causing weak damage and evolve into what we currently have for the level 4 and 5 hold.

I'm not sure if this would compromise base compatibility but I really think these two abilities should become standalone... that's just me personally, maybe I'm alone on the matter.

You're not alone in this one at all. I hope to improve on hold too but Kieran will never take on Dark side powers, his ways may not be straight and narrow but his alignment is. So yeah, I full agree with this and would love to see it implemented (If possible/convenient).

Homeworld: Iridonia | Languages: Basic, Ul'Zabrak | Mentor: Amone Fayden | Jedi Knight | Circle of Artisans.