Teleportation Effects

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Oberon
Lost One

Teleportation Effects

Post by Oberon »

Here's a suggestion I was thinking about during an RP with Khatla today.

/rptele creates an effect on your player, making him or her fade out with the cloak effect before moving you... and then making you fade in.

As far as I know this is only for eyecandy and there's no reason the teleportation would take any time to "charge."

I'm in support of removing the visual and audio effects in favor of the teleportation mechanic to be instantaneous. This improves RP so that say, for example... in some sort of dream or vision RP you need a character to pop up somewhere there's no advanced warning in the form of that cloak sound, or if you just want a character to disappear into thing air, hologram to pop up.
Syrena Exan
Lost One

Re: Teleportation Effects

Post by Syrena Exan »

I agree with this, and it's definitely possible. I'm fairly certain JA+ had an option built in for instant teleportation.

Species: Falleen | Age: 116 | Mentor: Jared Quell | Padawans: Kaelen Sekura, Kantha Maitri, Salvong, Var Dalledos, Claude Varron

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

I'd say JEDI would benefit from this.

Teleports in JEDI RP tend to be OOC and rarely used in plain sight.
Also, the sound unfortunately draws attention to what could be an upcoming surprise as well, which is quite deflating.

If there came a time where somebody did want to use Teleport in an RP capacity but didn't like it being so sudden, then they can always beef it up with some extra effects using /rpeffect or the cloak item itself to emulate the old effect.

Support.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Tergos Zemnos
Lost One

Post by Tergos Zemnos »

I fully support this. On more than one occasion, I've seen the sound and effect totally ruin the fact of surprise. As long as regular stealth from the item choice is unaffected, then I'm cool with it! :)
Species: Human|Age: 50's| Initiated: 286.16|
Knighted: 310.28|Mentor: Sasha Raven_Delmi N'jork|Padawan: Arukh Bakh'tor_Xel Damar
Motoko
Lost One

Post by Motoko »

W00t.

+1
Skrassk
Lost One

Post by Skrassk »

Syrena Exan wrote:I agree with this, and it's definitely possible. I'm fairly certain JA+ had an option built in for instant teleportation.
JA+ does, it's a big beam of green light than causing instantaneous teleportation instead of fading in/out over time, the issue was it always left a scorch mark on the ground.

Here is the exact setting for disabling the fade in/out teleport which resulting in the beam and mark on the ground from my server.cfg in my JA+ folder.

Code: Select all

seta jp_starTrekTeleport 0
Changing the 0 to a 1 changed it to fade (or vise versa I can't remember which way heh)
Motoko
Lost One

Post by Motoko »

I think the idea is that there's no effect at all... just *POP!* you're there.
Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

Yes, no visual effect whatsoever. Just a change in origin coordinates.
Esth Me'sku
Lost One

Post by Esth Me'sku »

Amoné Fayden wrote:Teleports in JEDI RP tend to be OOC and rarely used in plain sight. Also, the sound unfortunately draws attention to what could be an upcoming surprise as well, which is quite deflating.
But then we wouldn't know when someone was coming up from a stealth from behind/infront of you! Haha. Sarcasm.

I like the motion. +2

Initiated_311.25 : Novinced_314.12 : Apprenticed_321.05 : Age_20 : Mentor_Delmi N'jork