Drowning in JKA

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Rita Sandria
Lost One

Drowning in JKA

Post by Rita Sandria »

This is a really simple suggestion that may seem pointless to some but hear me out. I was considering a RP that would take place underwater, but when messing around with the idea I remembered that you’re only granted a 15 second (aprox) period before water becomes lethal to your character.

Now even if you think that the idea of RPing in the water on JKA is a silly idea, I think this is an un-needed game mechanic that should be removed, and my understanding is that it wouldn’t be too difficult to remove or at least extend (Soh can correct me if I’m wrong). I think we’re quite capable of roleplaying a struggle against the water, in the unlikely scenario one does need to; we don’t need that awful choking sound and quick drainage of HP to remind us.

There are a lot of maps out there with large bodies of water. I think there is potential roleplay to be had here that hasn’t been done before simply because of this one element that remains from the base game.

And MAYBE in the future, we could consider small changes to the underwater mechanics to make it more RP-friendly.
Alehk Thol
Lost One

Re: Drowning in JKA

Post by Alehk Thol »

I'm all for removing the effects of drowning. If I remember rightly, it's a pretty straight-forward adjustment made per server. O_o
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

I support this. Would also make rping a aquatic species easier. Good thinking!
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Des Anaro
Lost One

Post by Des Anaro »

Well, I, for one, agree with you. The ability to RP drowning, or struggling with the water, would be nice - and it's flat out unrealistic that you die within 15 seconds of being underwater.
However, I think you would need a sort of..."water suit" if you want to say, rp on Mon Calamari (and this could simply be a skin or at the very least would have to be assumed as 'available' by RPing it - but that's obvious.)
Good suggestion in my opinon, I would support it.
|Species_Human | Homeworld_Kashyyyk | Mentor_Sai Akiada | Padawan_Jel'a Vra |
Tergos Zemnos
Lost One

Post by Tergos Zemnos »

I support this as well. It would advocate the A88 Aquata Breather device that all Jedi should have on their utility belt, and a water suit as Des mentioned for more deeper exploration of the ocean. As well as what Delmi mentioned, playing an aquatic character will be more effective. If anything, RP struggling to breathe or drowning if a character isn't an aquatic character or doesn't have the breathing item!

**Edit: Also this - A99 Aquata Breather
Species: Human|Age: 50's| Initiated: 286.16|
Knighted: 310.28|Mentor: Sasha Raven_Delmi N'jork|Padawan: Arukh Bakh'tor_Xel Damar
Rita Sandria
Lost One

Post by Rita Sandria »

Des Anaro wrote:However, I think you would need a sort of..."water suit"
Could always use some of the base skins, I personally prefer swamptrooper/blue. Unless someone wants to skin a universal water suit that looks a bit better.

There is always the Breather device that Tergos mentioned for our JEDI characters. That is something we would undoubtly have in the Enclave's storage.
Tergos Zemnos
Lost One

Post by Tergos Zemnos »

Rita Sandria wrote:
Des Anaro wrote:However, I think you would need a sort of..."water suit"
Could always use some of the base skins, I personally prefer swamptrooper/blue. Unless someone wants to skin a universal water suit that looks a bit better.

There is always the Breather device that Tergos mentioned for our JEDI characters. That is something we would undoubtly have in the Enclave's storage.
Yeah. I'm definitely with Des when you need a suit. It depends on how far you go down with pressure and all. I have no idea how Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan could handle the pressure of going to the Gungan underwater city, but that's off the point. Breathers can definitely be used for water explorations that aren't too deep! The swamptrooper model will work well for 'deeper' exploration.
Species: Human|Age: 50's| Initiated: 286.16|
Knighted: 310.28|Mentor: Sasha Raven_Delmi N'jork|Padawan: Arukh Bakh'tor_Xel Damar
Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

Tergos Zemnos wrote:I have no idea how Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan could handle the pressure of going to the Gungan underwater city
Mmmmmmmagic

I really like this idea, Rita. Isn't it kind of funny how removing features from the game opens up new RP opportunities? Either way I can imagine a lot of things that would be interesting to see if water didn't shave off a 10th of our health every few seconds. (That officially makes water more dangerous than a wampa, people :o haha.)

Anyhow, I'm in support. Maybe a second shader could be created that functions kind of like water but doesn't have the effects or the audio. Space! I know space doesn't work like you're swimming around but... :P
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Oberon wrote: I know space doesn't work like you're swimming around but... :P
I'll finish that for you:

"... It's JKA!"

I think this is a decent suggestion and has good reasoning to back it up.

Just keep in mind that this also means NPCs will no longer drown when submerged as I believe they follow the same drowning mechanics as players.

Though all of this can easily be rectified with the ol' touch of death:
"/npc kill" or "/rpsleep <player>"

I Support.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Rui Vuusen
Lost One

Post by Rui Vuusen »

Got my full support for this!

Initiated_298.06|Master_Illrian Damaris/Rita.Sandria|Race_Rattataki|Rank_Knight|
Motoko
Lost One

Post by Motoko »

+1
Rita Sandria
Lost One

Post by Rita Sandria »

Amoné Fayden wrote: Just keep in mind that this also means NPCs will no longer drown when submerged as I believe they follow the same drowning mechanics as players.
This was something I didn't consider, but I did manage to test it out and it seems that the NPCs are completely unaffected by the water, so you wouldn't have to worry about that changing. I threw a jawa, stormtrooper, rebel and remote into the water and they survived for 10 minutes... before I got bored and left.
Personally I prefer it this way cause as you said the /npc kill commands still do the job and leaves the control of the NPCS in the hands of the admin who may want to kill them off on his/her terms.
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

Indeed, NPCs are not affected. I could easily add a "rp_disableDrowning" Cvar to the server to disable this BaseJKA feature. :)
Herenai
Lost One

Post by Herenai »

You have my support. I still remember RPing underwater with my Mon Cal... How fun it is to see him dying even though he can hold his breathe for at least 30 minutes.
Zekii to Azra : "You're blue because of the lack of oxygen in your blood ! "
Rita Sandria
Lost One

Post by Rita Sandria »

That sounds great, Soh. I think many would appreciate that change. Thank you so much! :D