Variable Walk/Run Speeds

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Ctathos
Lost One

Variable Walk/Run Speeds

Post by Ctathos »

If any of you have ever played a Splinter Cell game for the PC, you know that the mousewheel is used to adjust speed.

I'd like to propose two commands (perhaps simple commands like speedup and speeddown) that would allow us to adjust the walking and running speed of our characters.

To give an example, my full scale (even larger) model would be able to 'walk slow', not just the normal walk, but even slower, so that a small scale model (Aslyn, currently) could walk, and stay even with me. Or that I could walk normal, and he could 'walk fast'.

I'd propose that there be a set limit, and it apply both to running and walking (as well as leaving the default walk/run for dueling). Now, considering the smallest model scale is currently Larkit at 50%, and the tallest possible is 118%, let's do some calculations to find good 'adjusted max and minimum speeds'. The run is plenty fast, so I dont' believe it good to allow a large increase in run speed, perhaps 10-25%. Let's pretend we're doing 20% possibly max increase in run or walk speed. This would allow Larkit to walk at the equivalent of a model scaled at 60%. With Larkit walking at his fastest, someone scaled at max would need to be walking at 50%. So I'd propose the range is -50% to +20%, applied to walk, or walk and run.

Now that I keep thinking, it may be better just to apply this to walking animations, allow walking faster or slower, but keep running the same speed (honestly, slowing down the running animation will just seem odd).

So if Larkit, for example, can walk 20% faster, and I, scaled at 108, can walk about 45% slower (55% of total), we can walk at a even pace.

I think the command itself should adjust in 5% increments. So the 'walkslower' button upon first press (or assign it to a scroll wheel for scrolls) would make you walk at 95%, again would be 90%, again 85%, etc. The walk faster would increase you at 5% a time until 120% percent is reached. I suppose there will also need to be a 'walk reset' button, to set it to 100%.

Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

Not a bad idea at all, Master Ederoi! It might finally mean that everyone can walk/run as fast as I do, rather than zooming on ahead! :P
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

Neat idea, if possible. I'm sure everyone has struggled with varying model scales and developing strategies for walking at an even pace.

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Nivek Tholmai
Lost One

Post by Nivek Tholmai »

I agree with two settings for walking speed. That would be really useful. Running however I'd rather keep as it is - As you said the animation :? + Speed would vary between all our heights whilst we're on and it brings out a balance of who's naturally faster than who.
Larkit
Lost One

Post by Larkit »

Yay for this! :lol:

I must admit I dislike having to tab shift every other second, just to keep up with the speed of the younglings.