Dueling System Changes

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Dueling System Changes

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

Well, I was sparring with my Padawan the other night and came to realize that it's quite the hassle to always go and talk to that droid twice to get my shields back up. So, I thought "oh, I know, we'll just use the duel feature and have it replenish our health+shields after we're done", only to realize that it didn't do any such thing haha.

What would be nice, is if a few changes were implemented into the current dueling mechanics to:
  1. Disable the global "Player1 killed Player2" message
  2. Change the dialogue surrounding the duels to say "spar" instead
  3. Replenish health+shields after the duel ends
  4. Disable the taunt animation when challenging an opponent
This, in addition to the automatic "Solah!" at 30hp would be a nice addition I believe and would make things far easier.

As far as "you should RP going and getting shields+health" goes... If we're going to look at it from a purely RP lens, then really we're not actually hitting each other with our sabers, completely negating the need for shields in the first place. It would actually make much more sense for us to not need to "recharge our shields" after a spar, because why would we be losing shields if we're just sparring blade to blade? However, I realize this opens a whole 'nother can of worms in regards to the need for training sabers, etc etc, but I'm not going there haha.

It might also be tasty to incorporate an efx changes when in "duel mode", such as the one from the movie saber clash effects mod to further drive the point home of "we're not actually hitting each other". I don't know if this would be possible at all (and honestly I'm thinking its not), but it's worth mentioning I think.

Basically, just a few suggested changes to the current duel system to make things easier and *even* more realistic.
Simus Cnydaria
Lost One

Post by Simus Cnydaria »

Isn't it realistic to have to replace the batteries on your shield emitter?
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

Yes, it is. It's *not* realistic however to literally be hitting each other constantly in a spar. That's what I meant. Like, realistically we wouldn't be using shields during spars because we're just clashing blades, not actually hacking at each others' bodies.
Ctathos
Lost One

Post by Ctathos »

This would make 'dueling' easier, in which case, I agree :-)

Ze'eal
Lost One

Post by Ze'eal »

I gotta say that I rather like this idea as well, but would it transfer to unarmed spars well? I mean, in that case, you ARE hitting your opponent, so it'd make sense to deal with the shields.
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

I agree. There are many good features for that droid to have, and it still should be able to give out shields and medpacks, but it would be easy just to have the duel mode to utilize, since, as has been pointed out, we're not actually hitting anyone to begin with in most cases.

As for unarmed combat, why is a physical blow protected by shields anyway? Lightsaber might make sense, as it is an energy hit. But a punch is a punch in my opinion. So in this manner, within the duel mode shields would be the same for both types of sparring: automatically replenishing. If you wanted it the old way, you simply would not use duel mode, thus providing more versatility.

I don't mind overriding animations to demonstrate more obviously clashing rather than hits if that's possible. I think most us agree we're not actually slaughtering one another (judging by the sounds triggered) but rather HP is some sort of indicator on fatigue/ability to continue combat. Or at least, this seems to have been established over time.
However, I realize this opens a whole 'nother can of worms in regards to the need for training sabers, etc etc, but I'm not going there haha.

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

In regards to melee spars, you just wouldn't use the duel feature as there wouldn't really be a reason for it. If you don't use duel feature, it'd still drain your hp like it does normally.
Jared
Lost One

Post by Jared »

Here's a thought, if a duel mode is implemented, don't introduce Solah at 30hp, instead introduce the option of ENDING the spar at your discretion whereby Solah is called. E.g. hitting the challenge to a duel button once more mid spar to 'end' the duel early.

This way those who like to solah before landing on their butts can do so and those who know that they can win even with 3hp left can continue to do so.

:D
To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.
SKIN FROM RPMOD ASSETS
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

Jared wrote:Here's a thought, if a duel mode is implemented, don't introduce Solah at 30hp, instead introduce the option of ENDING the spar at your discretion whereby Solah is called. E.g. hitting the challenge to a duel button once more mid spar to 'end' the duel early.

This way those who like to solah before landing on their butts can do so and those who know that they can win even with 3hp left can continue to do so.

ooo i like
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

Gabe Alkorda wrote:
Jared wrote:Here's a thought, if a duel mode is implemented, don't introduce Solah at 30hp, instead introduce the option of ENDING the spar at your discretion whereby Solah is called. E.g. hitting the challenge to a duel button once more mid spar to 'end' the duel early.

ooo i like
Same. Provides options to those who want to stick it out, but also encourages the idea of calling Solah at anytime.

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Ctathos
Lost One

Post by Ctathos »

Gabe Alkorda wrote:

ooo i like
Me too, /excessive quote.

Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

I'm assuming also that it's implied that if you go to 0hp during duel mode, the spar ends, you regain full health+shields, and you call out solah.

Just thought i'd clarify that ;)
Moza Ferorn
Lost One

Post by Moza Ferorn »

Ctathos wrote:
Gabe Alkorda wrote:

ooo i like
:D Me gusta.

Spanish for "I like" Spanish 2 ftw!
|age_33|height_1.95m|weight_82kg|race_ithorian|mentor_gabe.alkorda|padawan_valon.rachius|li.andru
Indilia Von
Lost One

Post by Indilia Von »

Moza Ferorn wrote:
Ctathos wrote:
Gabe Alkorda wrote:ooo i like
:D Me gusta.

Spanish for "I like" Spanish 2 ftw!
I,
like it, as indilia is stubborn, she would go for end(I'm stubborn as well in real world, I'm putting a lot of my self into Indilia to make her 'alive')

ps Je ne comprends pas bien l'espagnol.
Je sais seulement un peu français, ce type comment êtes-vous? bon après-midi et bonjour

ps I do not understand Spanish so much.
I know only a little French, that type how are you? good afternoon and hello
''One's Path is shown, in the latter years, for some and for some..in the early years'' ~ Indilia Von
Yrael Grekkis
Lost One

Post by Yrael Grekkis »

Gabe Alkorda wrote:I'm assuming also that it's implied that if you go to 0hp during duel mode, the spar ends, you regain full health+shields, and you call out solah.

Just thought i'd clarify that ;)
I love this idea. As well as Master Quell's idea.
RP Age: 14