Species system

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Moza Ferorn
Lost One

Post by Moza Ferorn »

This thread is a year and a half Old.
|age_33|height_1.95m|weight_82kg|race_ithorian|mentor_gabe.alkorda|padawan_valon.rachius|li.andru
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

I'm actually glad it was revived because I had no idea it was here and it's something I think is a very good idea, and would very much like to see a species system replace the current class system of Guardian, Sentinel, or Consular.

Much of it is already possible, and would require only a few minor tweaks. For example, a Wookiee class would have a higher HP, standard or slightly lower force pool, slightly increased damage with melee weapons (easily done by creating custom .sab files and locking the class to those sabers), etc.

Whereas a Hutt would have increased HP, decreased FP, and a variable to disallow mindtrick from being used.

Species that don't drown would have a no drown feature built into their entry in the classes.dat file.

I believe it's highly feasable, and given enough effort, could easily come out nicely.

Basically there are just three options that would need to be added to the classes.dat file to fully enable species:
  • Melee (kicks+punches) damage bonus
  • Drowning variable
  • Mind Trick variable
The rest is already possible.

PLEASE! I completely volunteer to work on this, if given the go-ahead. Guardian, Sentinel, Consular is not only outdated as far as Star Wars goes, but it just doesn't make sense, and species is a *much* better alternative, in my opinion.
Iverian Prey

Post by Iverian Prey »

Not to be sarcastic but...

OMG! Arkanians are the smartest beings in the galaxy! Extra XP for being geniuses! WOO.
Yrael Grekkis
Lost One

Post by Yrael Grekkis »

I actually love this system. It has so many options available for future RP purposes, and helps everyone get into their character a little more, as far as where their characters will go being Jedis. hehe
RP Age: 14
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

Take that back, Yrael.

If you want to develop your character in a specific direction as far as being a Jedi goes, just RP it and get those powers. I was a fail@saber,win@force Jedi long before game mechanics enforced it.

With a species system, it would be much more realistic and would more accurately portray the differences between species in-game, including natural abilities, shortcomings, strengths, and weaknesses. It'd be much more interesting and much more realistic, for sure.
Selan
Lost One

Post by Selan »

Gabe Alkorda wrote:Take that back, Yrael.

If you want to develop your character in a specific direction as far as being a Jedi goes, just RP it and get those powers. I was a fail@saber,win@force Jedi long before game mechanics enforced it.

With a species system, it would be much more realistic and would more accurately portray the differences between species in-game, including natural abilities, shortcomings, strengths, and weaknesses. It'd be much more interesting and much more realistic, for sure.
sounds cool, if you dont end up with lukes and galen marek's XD
Yrael Grekkis
Lost One

Post by Yrael Grekkis »

Gabe Alkorda wrote: If you want to develop your character in a specific direction as far as being a Jedi goes, just RP it and get those powers. I was a fail@saber,win@force Jedi long before game mechanics enforced it.
Thought that when your a Padawan, its however your Master trains you. :shock:
Ze'eal
Lost One

Post by Ze'eal »

Would it be possible for a tiered system regarding Classes?

For example: Tier 1 (Race) Tier 2 (Class) Tier 3 (Ranking)

In Ze's case Tier 1 (Twi'lek) Tier 2 (Sentinel) Tier 3 (Initiate)

Take bonuses and penalties from each tier, for example, say a -1 to saber defence due to Twi'lek Anatomy (Long Lekku make for easy target) +0 to Force and Saber profecency due to the fact that she's a Sentinel. the third tier is ornamental.
Current age, 27
Birthday is .06

Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

I was working on this a while ago, actually. I still have the species.dat file I was coding. So far, I've coded Human, Falleen, Wookiee, and Miraluka. I could always continue coding it if you guys want this system to replace the current one.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Iverian Prey

Post by Iverian Prey »

Don't think anyone wants it to "replace" the current one, but instead work in addition too.
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

I want to replace it. Consular+Guardian+Sentinel=Stupid, outdated, and stupid. It's really dumb too.
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

Yrael Grekkis wrote:
Gabe Alkorda wrote: If you want to develop your character in a specific direction as far as being a Jedi goes, just RP it and get those powers. I was a fail@saber,win@force Jedi long before game mechanics enforced it.
Thought that when your a Padawan, its however your Master trains you. :shock:
(sorry for the double post)

Of course your Master trains you in a specific direction. It's realistic. Alkaiser trained me therefore I'm more philosophical and Force-y.

HOWEVER, your development into a Jedi only begins after you've been Knighted. Don't think that what your character is like when you're a Padawan is how you'll always be. You can definitely stray from how your Master trained you. Case-and-point: I trained Rash.
Jamus Kevari
Lost One

Post by Jamus Kevari »

I think the species system is dumb. :) But really, I actually think there's not enough variability in the species we have in Star Wars to make it interesting, as we can all still roleplay or species' characteristics.

Humans are average at everything? Wookiees are automatically extremely strong? How do Chiss compare to Humans, how do Lorrdians compare to Humans? I just don't see the point.
Yrael Grekkis
Lost One

Post by Yrael Grekkis »

Gabe Alkorda wrote:I want to replace it. Consular+Guardian+Sentinel=Stupid, outdated, and stupid. It's really dumb too.
Well, okay, come on. Its to be expected that everyone is a different Jedi. In some cases, a Consular is more required for a mission given by the Council because their more diplomatic. A Guardian, more combative. A Sentinel is a mix of both. Right? Thats how I've always viewed them. Each having separate jobs 'because' of their strong connection with 'their' aspects of the Force. Wouldn't be it okay to show some sort of diversity between a Jedi?
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

Humans are average at everything. Wookiees are big wooly beasts and therefore strong. Ithorians are naturally more attuned to the Force. Hutts and Toydarians are immune to mindtrick, some species drown, some don't.

I like the idea of a species system, but I really just hate the sentinel/guardian/consular system. You wanna talk about "not seeing the point".... yeesh.