Realistic Saber Blocking & Head Movement

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Z'phos
Lost One

Realistic Saber Blocking & Head Movement

Post by Z'phos »

Hello JEDI,

While playing Movie Battles 2, I noticed a few things when I used the cmd "/cg_thirdpersoncameradamp 0". The first thing I noticed was the realistic head nods. Now, if you're like me, then when you are passing someone in the hall or replying to something by moving your mouse vertically--This might just be for you! I've also spent some time dueling in Movie Battles 2 with their custom saber combat. Although I wouldn't suggest implementing the entire system, I would recommend using a similar method for saber blocking. It seems though as if sabers rarely touch with Base JKA combat, and block only on occasion. (Which is highly unrealistic) If you were partaking in a spar with a fellow Jedi, it would be all about blocking.. I have included a video with my details/ideas here..

::JEDI:: RPMod Suggestion

Video Commentary//
Notice during the "Head Nod" footage, the entire body doesn't bend (Which is the primary reason for Dixo Xan's back problems) I also realize I missed a few times while dueling the NPC, he was quite jumpy and annoying. It would obviously be more sophisticated between two players.

Kind Regards,
Z'phos
Or'Urak

Post by Or'Urak »

I like this idea, though I would not suggest the whole manual blocking deal. Just a opinion, though.
Vuko

Post by Vuko »

Allow me to be the first to say... /rpsupport. 'specially for the head nodding.

Or, well, secondish. But hey, he didn't actually say "/rpsupport" so I'm still the first, right?
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

I like the head nodding, but not the saber changes. The less changes to the saber system the better, IMO.
Xaran Varc

Post by Xaran Varc »

I like both of the suggestions.
Aayla Vigil
Lost One

Post by Aayla Vigil »

I like the head nodding.

For the saber system it has been discussed several times already, and, although I'm a fan of that 'more realistical' system, it has been stated already that RPmod does not want to change the saber system, as part of the training includes learning the game itself as it is.

The new saber system would certainly be good forcing you to limit yourself in spars and missions (especially against gunners), but in the end at this has been stated that in the end thanks to our RP abilities we should be able to limit ourselves without the need of mechanical restrictions.

Nice video though

You can't choose what is right

Nivek Tholmai
Lost One

I Do Not Support, Sorry.

Post by Nivek Tholmai »

-----

Sorry, but personally I vote against both the nodding and the saber modification.

If you wish to nod, "/emnod" or "/me Nods" or simply bind: "::Nods::", the message gets across.

Saber combat has been brought up a number of times and I'm fairly certain it was agreed touching saber combat is a big no-no. I'd hate to see what we have changed, personally; In any way.

-----

Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

I am with Nivek on this one.

There are easier ways to go about the nodding with what we currently have. Admittedly the nodding looks good but I personally see it as being one of these things that requires too much effort to change for the use it would get. (In the old "Effort:Reward" ratio.)

I think all has been said about the combat also.

A nice effort to display what you are suggesting though, Z'phos.

Sasha Raven
Lost One

Post by Sasha Raven »

Master Alkorda wrote:The less changes to the saber system the better, IMO.
I agree on both. I would rather just do [/bind * say ::Nods::] It seems like too much work for nothing. :wink:
|height_5.11ft.|race_human| mentor_corinth.alkorda|Skin : http://www.gamefront.com/files/24280582/Sasha.zip
Yrael Grekkis
Lost One

Re: I Do Not Support, Sorry.

Post by Yrael Grekkis »

I'll follow Master Tholmai on this one, and disagree with both the Nodding and the Saber system.
RP Age: 14
Lucius
Lost One

Post by Lucius »

Although it would be cool, Im gonna agree with Masters Alkorda and Tholmai on this one also.
|age_19|initiated_264.15|height_1.68m|race_keldorian|mentors_zyrn.maron/gabe.alkroda|
http://www.filefront.com/15714499/Lucius.pk3/ - updated skinz, ty Delmi
Shimi
Lost One

Post by Shimi »

I've played Mb II in the past, I will admit their system is grand, but I currently like the way RP-mod stands at the moment. As Master Alkorda said:
The less changes to the saber system the better, IMO.
The saber system we have now is to my liking.

As for implementing these features into Rp-mod, I would have to say; Nay to this suggestion.

-Shimi Zaki
Lynee'alin
Exiled

Post by Lynee'alin »

The nodding feature is more than just nodding, actually. It generally "smoothens" up the head-neck-coordination-thingy, which means that the head of the model behaves like an actual head. Currently for example, if the character is looking down, he not only pans down his head, but also his neck and upper back. With the nodding feature, only the head is panned to whatever direction.
As well, the model cannot look up 90° currently. With this feature, the head of the character pans up properly when looking up, portraying an authentic 90° look upwards.

More realism, in a nutshell.
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

Yeah, I'm definitely all for the head-nodding thing, as it is *much* more realistic. I just don't like the saber system thing. I use a mod I patched together from other mods to make saber fights look more realistic, and have grown to love it, but as far actually changing the *system*... no way.
Xa'o Zalei
Lost One

Post by Xa'o Zalei »

Could you perhaps upload that mod Gabe? I'm sure many people would love to try it out.
A Jedi does not grasp at power. A Jedi is not a dominator, not an oppressor. To grasp for power is to abandon the ways of the Force.