/status command

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

/status command

Post by Sared Kilvan »

This could be used with both IC and OOC implications.

Master Loist logs into the server and takes Kenta with him on a training mission to Ossus. Before he logs, he preforms the following command:

/status "was last seen departing for Ossus with Kenta.

A few days go by and Blavek, a fellow carnivore, is looking for Master Loist. He preforms the following command:

/status Rash

Server returns with:

/tell <player> Rash was last seen departing for Ossus. ((Last login was 2days 12hours 58minutes ago))

To prevent it from becoming its own little version of twitter, flavor text could be limited to Knights and up, returning an OOC time report on default and for Initiates and Padawans.

Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

I'm not really a fan of this idea. The way I see it, if I can't remember where/when I last saw someone, it's reasonable to assume that my character wouldn't either. Additionally, this would take effort to keep updated and accurate, and I believe that it would most likely fall by the wayside, and people would forget about it.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Xaran Varc

Post by Xaran Varc »

I agree with the above statement.
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

That observed, it could be used in a non-OOC capacity - say, you'd have to talk to a Droid in the Archives or something of that nature (and yes, this'd require a perma-NPC), who would then update students on the status of other members when asked, thus keeping them informed in an IC fashion.
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

Though I like this idea, I agree with Master Alkorda.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Sared Kilvan
Lost One

Post by Sared Kilvan »

I like Aslyn's version.

Azrael
Lost One

Post by Azrael »

Sared Kilvan wrote:I like Aslyn's version.
|Species: Chiss | Homeworld: Coruscant | Mentors: Aeon Xarbon, Shimi Zaki | Padawans: Imil Ucindus, Kiwron Tirladdik, Munro Olar, Shakk'aven |Position:Jedi Master - Historian/Librarian
Shandrila Simbul
Lost One

Post by Shandrila Simbul »

I'm pretty much on the wall for this, it sounds interesting, and Aslyn's idea sounded better than Sared's, but Master Corinth does have a point, in which I agree with that as well.. It'd probably just be up to whomever has to set this up, whether they think its a good idea or not.
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Pros:

It would be great for keeping up to scratch on who is doing what.
For example.
Vantus wonders where Padawan X is as he hasn't seen him in a long time. Vantus goes to a Droid in the Archives who then lists all those who have an active /status. I find "Padawan X in the list and click it. The Droid then says. "Padawan X was last reported going on a trip to Talus on his own." or "Padawan X is currently off-world with his Master."

That is not exactly delving into the OOC and is a good reminder of current events seeing as, lets face it, we don't always talk to EVERYONE on the server about recent events. If you don't have a /status, your name won't show in the list when speaking to the droid.
A similar occurrence happens in JKA single player where C3PO gives Jaden a mission saying "Kyle Katarn is currently out on a mission with Rosh Penin" or words to that effect.

Only those who have a reason to be away or are not currently working in the Temple should include a /status. Allowing people to include their own /status will stop admins from having to set these up themselves.

Cons:

Allowing all ranks to /Status could be equally a bad idea. It would need to be monitored as I can see some people using it needlessly for attention.
"Padawan X was last seen in the Hanger building his thirteenth super Cool Lightsaber with an unknown, extremely rare crystal as part of his Ultra-secret mission."
Actually, Padawan X is in the Holo-room, killing your Dr0idz...

So long as people keep responsible and realistic with it, I think it would be an interesting feature.

Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

Well, back on Mon Calamari, we had JH-101, with restricted options depending on your level - Initiates could only spawn Astromechs, Padawans could spawn those and single-saber bots, and so on. No reason why we couldn't apply that same principle here, restricting information on a particular set of ranks to those equal to or above it.
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

That is not exactly delving into the OOC and is a good reminder of current events seeing as, lets face it, we don't always talk to EVERYONE on the server about recent events.
I disagree with any solution that inhibits talking to others. If you don't talk to others IC and find out where someone is, you really ought not to know where they are. It just takes a bit of thinking. Haven't seen someone for awhile? Perhaps they're offworld and you should ask around, instead of assuming they're just sleeping in their dormitory.

As for OOC, the administrators have better ways to keep tabs on other people than any status feature.

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Chrundom

Post by Chrundom »

Aslyn wrote:That observed, it could be used in a non-OOC capacity - say, you'd have to talk to a Droid in the Archives or something of that nature (and yes, this'd require a perma-NPC), who would then update students on the status of other members when asked, thus keeping them informed in an IC fashion.
Yeah, that's more like it
vinpascalnew

Post by vinpascalnew »

You got my Aproval Stamp xD
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Cyril Feraan wrote:Haven't seen someone for awhile? Perhaps they're offworld and you should ask around, instead of assuming they're just sleeping in their dormitory.
Asking around peers that also don't know or Asking an NPC that does?
There's really no harm in it. Some people like others RPing as if their character are around the Temple when they are not online. That's fine. In that case, they wouldn't use the the /status command seeing as they would be around the Temple and would have no use for it.

Those that ARE offworld could use the /status command to reflect that if they chose to.
Cyril Feraan wrote:As for OOC, the administrators have better ways to keep tabs on other people than any status feature.
OOC isn't a problem, usually when somebody is going on Vacation or is experiencing PC or JKA issues, they report in "Inform the Council" with an OOC and RP reason or word simply gets around. The Council knows, but seeing as it's "Inform the Council" and not "Inform the Students", we have no idea in character.
If they are going away IC, they normally write a journal entry which again we view OOC and not as our characters.

It would be nice to have a little RP device we could use in conversation and a way for people to connect more personally in Character. Sure it's a little nosey and we more often that not get told to "mind our own business" but that splits people up and ecourages us to only focus on ourselves and thus, not care about the training or adventures of others.

I just think it would be nice to have somebody say "Hello Master Y, I heard you were on a mission to Planet Z, how was your trip?" instead of digging up the topic 4 months (4 in-game YEARS) after it happens because they finally heard through the grapevine.

So as you see, it's not a suggestion that discourages people from interacting with eachother, but offers a medium and topic-generator for times people would normally not care.
A sort of "I don't know where they are so I won't talk about them" attitude being replaced with "I have an idea where they are so that gives me something to talk about".

I guess I still offer support for this one myself but understand where the counter-arguement comes from.

Sared Kilvan
Lost One

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Vantus wrote: So as you see, it's not a suggestion that discourages people from interacting with eachother, but offers a medium and topic-generator for times people would normally not care.
A sort of "I don't know where they are so I won't talk about them" attitude being replaced with "I have an idea where they are so that gives me something to talk about".
Thanks Vantus, that pretty much sums up my thoughts about this. It gives an internal way to talk about what is going on, and what is happening in the lives of others.

Likewise as a plot/conversation device, it can be somewhat frustrating participate in a mission that I had played a role in (as some minor charachter or NPC) and then try to come back and talk to to the charachters that played an IC role in, when in all honesty I would have no reason knowing that they had even left in the first place.

In all honesty though, I can understand this being a hassle to code in for the amount of payoff it would give in the mod as a whole. Perhaps the same thing could be accomplished using what Aslyn suggested, a sort of communications droid? An in-game Jedi Archives/Holonet Communications droid or something to that effect?